Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Export Shipper

I may have some parts going to Australia soon. So far it looks like
from a purely convenient standpoint is USPS is the easiest to deal
with. Parts will fit in international FRBs.

Comments? Warnings?

Customer is prepaying for the parts, so no CODs to deal with or
anything silly like that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:32:06 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I may have some parts going to Australia soon. So far it looks like
from a purely convenient standpoint is USPS is the easiest to deal with.
Parts will fit in international FRBs.

That seems reasonable to me; a few years ago I shipped some items
to Australia via USPS with no problems.

Comments? Warnings?

Customer is prepaying for the parts, so no CODs to deal with or anything
silly like that.

Do you know if there will be customs fees? If so, those probably
should be prepaid also, to avoid long delay in clearing customs.
See eg http://www.customs.gov.au/site/postClearingGoods.asp and
http://www.customs.gov.au/.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:32:06 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I may have some parts going to Australia soon. So far it looks like
from a purely convenient standpoint is USPS is the easiest to deal with.
Parts will fit in international FRBs.

That seems reasonable to me; a few years ago I shipped some items
to Australia via USPS with no problems.

Comments? Warnings?

Customer is prepaying for the parts, so no CODs to deal with or anything
silly like that.

Do you know if there will be customs fees? If so, those probably
should be prepaid also, to avoid long delay in clearing customs.
See eg http://www.customs.gov.au/site/postClearingGoods.asp and
http://www.customs.gov.au/.

Good suggestion. I'll tell my customer about that and see if it applies for
this.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/11/2011 7:31 AM, James Waldby wrote:

Do you know if there will be customs fees? If so, those probably
should be prepaid also, to avoid long delay in clearing customs.
See eghttp://www.customs.gov.au/site/postClearingGoods.asp and
http://www.customs.gov.au/.

Under $1000 value (Australian dollars) per shipment, there is no charge
imposed by Australian Customs.
USPS flat rate international boxes are very good, I find.
Being flat rate, it's sometimes economical to buy a bit more to fill a
box for no extra freight charge, as long as it doesn't go over weight.
The vendor has to do a little more work to figure it out, but an extra
sale is good.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jordan" wrote in message
ond.com...
On 6/11/2011 7:31 AM, James Waldby wrote:

Do you know if there will be customs fees? If so, those probably
should be prepaid also, to avoid long delay in clearing customs.
See eghttp://www.customs.gov.au/site/postClearingGoods.asp and
http://www.customs.gov.au/.

Under $1000 value (Australian dollars) per shipment, there is no charge
imposed by Australian Customs.
USPS flat rate international boxes are very good, I find.
Being flat rate, it's sometimes economical to buy a bit more to fill a box
for no extra freight charge, as long as it doesn't go over weight.
The vendor has to do a little more work to figure it out, but an extra
sale is good.

Its actually under AU$1000 for the parts and the cost of MAIL. If you ship
by any other method the importer is liable to pay duty (depending on
country of origin) and GST on the whole lot - works out at about another
25% on average.

Just an aside with the Aussie dollar now buying about US$1.06 to $1.10 its
become very economical to import goods from the USA as long as they are
kept below the duty and GST threshold of AU$1000. There are plenty of
niche markets for enineering tools and the likes - which are often 200% to
300% more expensive to buy in Australia than importing from the US or EU.
Quite a few smart cookies are selling into Australia where they can sell for
higher price than they would in the USA but still substantially cheaper than
in
Aus.

About 8 - 12 months ago the AU$ bought close to 80 cents US - world currency
prices are telling the USA that they need to start balancing their books.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/11/2011 3:01 PM, Why are people so cruel wrote:

Its actually under AU$1000 for the parts and the cost of MAIL. If you ship
by any other method the importer is liable to pay duty (depending on
country of origin) and GST on the whole lot - works out at about another
25% on average.

To keep costs down, first choice is mail. Or maybe a courier delivery to
your door. Any method that involves going to a depot to pick up goods is
usually costly in time and additional cash, for who knows why.
Other points about sending stuff to Australia -
Gotta be biologically clean, otherwise quarantine will require you to
clean/fumigate which has to be done by a qualified company $$$. Common
with used vehicle/parts that have dirt on them.
If packed in a crate, natural timber can be a headache to get through
quarantine, again costly as the default attitude is that it's infested
with alien bugs unless you can prove otherwise. Use engineered timber
such as plywood instead.
Unfortunately, I've had to pay for fumigation even though I advised the
merchant of the Oz requirements and that was ignored.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-10, Bob La Londe wrote:
I may have some parts going to Australia soon. So far it looks like
from a purely convenient standpoint is USPS is the easiest to deal
with. Parts will fit in international FRBs.

Comments? Warnings?

Customer is prepaying for the parts, so no CODs to deal with or
anything silly like that.

Do you have to wire the money to the shipper, as part of the deal?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-10, Bob La Londe wrote:
I may have some parts going to Australia soon. So far it looks like
from a purely convenient standpoint is USPS is the easiest to deal
with. Parts will fit in international FRBs.

Comments? Warnings?

Customer is prepaying for the parts, so no CODs to deal with or
anything silly like that.

Do you have to wire the money to the shipper, as part of the deal?

LOL. No this isn't a scam. A designer I have worked with before, the
client, and I worked together on the designs and product implementation.
The customer pays for setup costs and a deposit before I do the CAM work.
They will be paying me for the balance on parts and shipping when they are
ready to but before they ship.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 21:31:19 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:
Do you know if there will be customs fees? If so, those probably
should be prepaid also, to avoid long delay in clearing customs.
See eg http://www.customs.gov.au/site/postClearingGoods.asp and
http://www.customs.gov.au/.

If the value, including freight costs, is under $500 Oz, there is
no duty & GST charged. It may have been increased to $1000 but I
am not sure.

No animal products may be imported without a quarantine licence.

Alan