Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Assembly Fixture

I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

My thought would be to bore it in a piece of round bar, weld/braze/bolt
the back section on and then cut it in half.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/8/2011 14:29, Jim Stewart wrote:
I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

A bunch of keyseat cutters?

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 8, 2:29*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. *The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. *It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

Almost looks like you made a cutter or cutters on the lathe to mount
on the mill, and I bet the sides of the fixture are a tad less than 90
degrees.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave__67 wrote:
On Jun 8, 2:29 pm, Jim wrote:
I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

Almost looks like you made a cutter or cutters on the lathe to mount
on the mill, and I bet the sides of the fixture are a tad less than 90
degrees.

Actually, they are just a tad more...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

My thought would be to bore it in a piece of round bar, weld/braze/bolt
the back section on and then cut it in half.

Close. No heat was used.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

Machine left side cavity, machine right side cavity, press or otherwise
fasten the two pieces to each other, then finally mill away the top and
sides of the assembly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 8, 2:29*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. *The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. *It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

You turned the core and cast resin (Bondo?) around it?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

Machine left side cavity, machine right side cavity, press or otherwise
fasten the two pieces to each other, then finally mill away the top and
sides of the assembly.

That's it. Two aluminum parts turned on the lathe,
sleeved together with a .003" gap, bonded with Loktite
603 retaining compound and then milled nearly halfway
through lengthwise.

Gap doesn't show at all on picture, parts of it are
barely visible under a magnifying glass if you know
where to look.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Jim wrote in message

(...)

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

Machine left side cavity, machine right side cavity, press or otherwise
fasten the two pieces to each other, then finally mill away the top and
sides of the assembly.

That's it. Two aluminum parts turned on the lathe,
sleeved together with a .003" gap, bonded with Loktite
603 retaining compound and then milled nearly halfway
through lengthwise.

Gap doesn't show at all on picture, parts of it are
barely visible under a magnifying glass if you know
where to look.

That is genius!

Thanks for showing us that, Jim!

--Winston -- That's the most exciting boring thing I've ever seen!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

Machine left side cavity, machine right side cavity, press or otherwise
fasten the two pieces to each other, then finally mill away the top and
sides of the assembly.

That's it. Two aluminum parts turned on the lathe,
sleeved together with a .003" gap, bonded with Loktite
603 retaining compound and then milled nearly halfway
through lengthwise.

Gap doesn't show at all on picture, parts of it are
barely visible under a magnifying glass if you know
where to look.

Nice work, and nice to know I wasn't far off
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

Machine left side cavity, machine right side cavity, press or otherwise
fasten the two pieces to each other, then finally mill away the top and
sides of the assembly.

That's it. Two aluminum parts turned on the lathe,
sleeved together with a .003" gap, bonded with Loktite
603 retaining compound and then milled nearly halfway
through lengthwise.

Gap doesn't show at all on picture, parts of it are
barely visible under a magnifying glass if you know
where to look.

Nice work, and nice to know I wasn't far off

Thanks. The hardest part was waiting the
24 hours for the Loctite 603 to cure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
[...]

Suggest just use superglue full strenght--if you want to use it as a filler
then add baking soda, to slow the setting rate add linseed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
[...]

It's a textbook application for 603. I've used
it before and the wait was acceptable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 19:45:17 -0700, Jim Stewart wrote:

It's a textbook application for 603. I've used
it before and the wait was acceptable.

You'd probably have found that 603 was strong enough for machining after only
one hour. I tend to use a slightly smaller gap, but it's my friend for
fixtures :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Jim Stewart wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:29:52 -0700:

The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

Coplanar? Do you mean parallel?
--

Dan H.