Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default Assembly Fixture

Pete C. wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
I needed a fixture to align a switch, a round printed
circuit board and a spring for soldering. The parts
all had to be coaxial and coplanar.

I made this over the weekend. It works beautifully.
How did I do it with just a manual lathe and mill?

http://grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fixture.jpg

Machine left side cavity, machine right side cavity, press or otherwise
fasten the two pieces to each other, then finally mill away the top and
sides of the assembly.

That's it. Two aluminum parts turned on the lathe,
sleeved together with a .003" gap, bonded with Loktite
603 retaining compound and then milled nearly halfway
through lengthwise.

Gap doesn't show at all on picture, parts of it are
barely visible under a magnifying glass if you know
where to look.

Nice work, and nice to know I wasn't far off

Thanks. The hardest part was waiting the
24 hours for the Loctite 603 to cure.