Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Roman dodecahedron

Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
--
Boris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
--
Boris

It's not out of the realm of possibility that it was strictly decorative.

The Romans were well-versed in geometry, and may have simply delighted in
the fact that 12 pentagons could be assembled into a roughly spherical
shape.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 7, 12:59*pm, Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
--
Boris

Perhaps there were 12 sizes of roman coins and the holes were for
sizing the coins.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 7, 12:59*pm, Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
--
Boris

Much of Hero of Alexandria's book shows elaborate toys meant to
extract money from the rich, an ancient Sharper Image catalog.

One is a trick cup that turns water into wine.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 7, 12:59*pm, Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
--
Boris

I would suggest: the Roman equivalent of a "Turner's Cube" :-)

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22turner's+cube%22

In slightly more modern times, plumbing apprentices once demonstrated
making a 6-way junction by (mostly) hammer, starting from sheet lead.
I've seen the result and they are very impressive. One even went as
far as to put flanges with bolt holes on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Jun 7, 12:59 pm, Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
--
Boris

Much of Hero of Alexandria's book shows elaborate toys meant to
extract money from the rich, an ancient Sharper Image catalog.

One is a trick cup that turns water into wine.

jsw

I think that Sutter Home picked up on that one. But they can't quite get it
to work.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:59:36 -0400, Boris Mohar
wrote:

Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

First thing to cross my mind is a studded cage for making a ball with
rope or leather/hide. Except the stone ones...? Tent pole
intersections?

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 7, 10:59*am, Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
--
Boris

Doorstop and floor ballast.

Probably the metal ones were lost-wax cast. Would be fun trying to
figure out a way to sand cast it.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Boris Mohar wrote:

Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:

Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.

A penis measuring device?
--
EA

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

Looks like one of the original pecker checkers.
(darn, I can't find a pic of the joke box I have)
http://goo.gl/enM3C somewhat close

And don't forget to wear your flying pasties before going to the
airport, girls. http://goo.gl/jNhZB

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:

Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.

A penis measuring device?

It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch.
She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll
ever hold.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.
A penis measuring device?

It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch.
She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll
ever hold.

Maybe...

But to me she represents everything that's wrong with politicians
these days.

Pass...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.
A penis measuring device?
It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch.
She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll
ever hold.

Jesus, she's both? Where did she get THAT operation? Cambodia?

--
Ed Huntress

Maybe...

But to me she represents everything that's wrong with politicians
these days.

Pass...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.
A penis measuring device?
It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch.
She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll
ever hold.

Maybe...

But to me she represents everything that's wrong with politicians
these days.

Pass...

The liberal media are hyping her up in hopes that she gets the Repubnocrat
nomination, ensuring an Obama win.

I'm voting Ron Paul, thank you very much.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
CaveLamb wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.
A penis measuring device?
It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch.
She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll
ever hold.

Maybe...

But to me she represents everything that's wrong with politicians
these days.

Pass...

The liberal media are hyping her up in hopes that she gets the Repubnocrat
nomination, ensuring an Obama win.

I'm voting Ron Paul, thank you very much.

If you can, get a lot of your friends to join you. It will be good for the
country.

--
Ed Huntress

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:21:34 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
om...
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.
A penis measuring device?
It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch.
She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll
ever hold.

Jesus, she's both? Where did she get THAT operation? Cambodia?

Rich Grise used to sign some of his posts as "Rich Grise, But Drunk."
He doesn't bother with the "But Drunk" part anymore but I think he is
anyway.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
CaveLamb wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
[...]

Ed, I'm going to tell your Momma on you!

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.
A penis measuring device?
It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch.
She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll
ever hold.

Jesus, she's both? Where did she get THAT operation? Cambodia?

Man = strap-on -- well, in Terrell's world, at any rate.
--
EA

--
Ed Huntress

Maybe...

But to me she represents everything that's wrong with politicians
these days.

Pass...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
CaveLamb wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
[...]

Go, Ron! Run, run, run! g

--
Ed Huntress

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
CaveLamb wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
[...]

She will come grab you by the ear and shake you!

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Boris Mohar on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:59:36

Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

Considering that the Romans used a duodecimal (base 12) system of
fractions for measurements and calculations ... difficult to say.

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.
A penis measuring device?
It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch.
She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll
ever hold.

Jesus, she's both? Where did she get THAT operation? Cambodia?

Man = strap-on -- well, in Terrell's world, at any rate.

Yawn. You and John keep trying to project yourself on others. More
of a man means that she isn't afraid of the job at hand, unlike you
idiots. I'm not conviced that either of you have ever held a woman.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what.
A penis measuring device?
It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch.
She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll
ever hold.

Jesus, she's both? Where did she get THAT operation? Cambodia?

Rich Grise used to sign some of his posts as "Rich Grise, But Drunk."
He doesn't bother with the "But Drunk" part anymore but I think he is
anyway.

You need to use more care in your attribution. I was the one who said,
"It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)
"All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what."

Then you and the other trolls and their baiters started chiming in.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

You need to use more care in your attribution. I was the one who said,
"It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)
"All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance
there, albeit I can't imagine what."

If the holes weren't different sizes you could not differentiate its
orientation. Maybe it is some sort of sun dial, or a calendar?

Bill

Then you and the other trolls and their baiters started chiming in.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Boris Mohar wrote:
[...]

Why are you so sure it is *not* used for measuring penis size, thusly
determining the attendant social hierarchy?
Might I add, I would have needed a much larger dodecahedron......

Coulda been part of the brothel system, as a kind of screening device, you
know, wear'n'tear'n'****.....

Fwiw, I much prefer "But Drunk" over that irksomely dorky "Hope This
Helps!"..... goodgawd.....
--
EA

Hope This Helps!