Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default weird problem with Google groups.

Okay maybe I should use a better program, but I do not read everything
in RCM. So it works for me. Or at least kind of works.

I started using Ubuntu and now when I look at a thread using the "
view as a tree " option,
i do not see all the posts unless I sort by date. Anyone else observe
this. Is it Google, Ubuntu, or me?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

Okay maybe I should use a better program, but I do not read everything
in RCM. So it works for me. Or at least kind of works.

I started using Ubuntu and now when I look at a thread using the "
view as a tree " option,
i do not see all the posts unless I sort by date. Anyone else observe
this. Is it Google, Ubuntu, or me?

Dan

==================

What other sort would show posts as threaded?

If you sort by name how could they be threaded?

==THINK== The better readers all do this e.g.: Windows Live

--

Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 07:52:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Okay maybe I should use a better program, but I do not read everything
in RCM. So it works for me. Or at least kind of works.

I started using Ubuntu and now when I look at a thread using the "
view as a tree " option,
i do not see all the posts unless I sort by date. Anyone else observe
this. Is it Google, Ubuntu, or me?

Dan

I use a couple of Linux versions with Agent running in a Wine
emulation and none of them display this problem. I suggest it might be
google.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Okay maybe I should use a better program, but I do not read everything
in RCM. *So it works for me. *Or at least kind of works.

I started using Ubuntu and now when I look at a thread using the "
view as a tree " option,
i do not see all the posts unless I sort by date. *Anyone else observe
this. *Is it Google, Ubuntu, or me?

Dan

I use a couple of Linux versions with Agent running in a Wine
emulation and none of them display this problem. I suggest it might be
google.

I have been using Firefox so kept with Firefox when I started using
Ubuntu. I think it is Google, but will not know for sure until I get
a router set up and can use another computer.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5 Jun 2011 00:12:53 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

You should be able to find it using the GUI-based program installer, but
since I access the one Ubuntu system via a network connection from one
of my Sun/Solaris systems, I tend to not use the GUI program.

Anyway -- to actually *use* slrn, you will have to first get
somewhere to give you a news (nntp) connection to a server (I use
Newsguy, FWIW -- it costs -- but not much -- my level of service is
$99.99 per hear), and you will have to build a configuration file
(.slrnrc in your home directory) to log you into the news server. There
are other news servers available -- some free and others with varying
costs.

Forte Agent I use 1.93 under Wine..works just fine and this version is
what Ive used since 1994

Works like a champ!!

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 7:52*am, " wrote:
Okay maybe I should use a better program, but I do not read everything
in RCM. *So it works for me. *Or at least kind of works.

I started using Ubuntu and now when I look at a thread using the "
view as a tree " option,
i do not see all the posts unless I sort by date. *Anyone else observe
this. *Is it Google, Ubuntu, or me?

Dan

Google- I'm having a similar problem with google groups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 5, 2:00*am, Paul Hays wrote:

Google- I'm having a similar problem with google groups.

Thanks. That was what I thought, but find it odd that Google screwed
up their program.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 5, 2:00*am, Paul Hays wrote:

Google- I'm having a similar problem with google groups.

I found another problem. While reading posts in RCM, I posted a
reply. It does not show up in RCM, but does show up in
sci.engr.design.

Today I sent an email to google security reporting the first problem
and asked them to forward it to the right people. I could not find
any way to report a bug.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 6, 7:14*am, " wrote:
On Jun 5, 2:00*am, Paul Hays wrote:

Google- I'm having a similar problem with google groups.

I found another problem. *While reading posts in RCM, I posted a
reply. *It does not show up in RCM, but does show up in
sci.engr.design.

Today I sent an email to google security reporting the first problem
and asked them to forward it to the right people. * *I could not find
any way to report a bug.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

Try looking here for a method to report bugs.

http://groups.google.com/group/googl...ps-guide?hl=en

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 6, 1:25*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Try looking here for a method to report bugs.

http://groups.google.com/group/googl...ps-guide?hl=en

TMT

There may be a place to report bugs there, but all I saw were places
that explained how google is suppose to work.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 6, 7:44*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Try this then..

http://groups.google.com/support/bin..._type=contact_....

TMT

That looks like the right place.

Thanks,
Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-06, wrote:
* * * * Use a real newsreader with a real usenet server and you will
have more control about such things.

* * * * Enjoy,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

GG allows you to redirect followups.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-06, wrote:
* * * * Use a real newsreader with a real usenet server and you will
have more control about such things.

[ ... ]

GG allows you to redirect followups.

But what does it do by default, if you don't select anything to
do with the newsgroups? Anything as simple as posting to only the first
newsgroup in the "Newsgroups: " header?

And if it does this by default -- does it clearly notify you
that it is happening?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-06, wrote:
Use a real newsreader with a real usenet server and you will
have more control about such things.

* * * * [ ... ]

GG allows you to redirect followups.

* * * * But what does it do by default, if you don't select anything to
do with the newsgroups? *Anything as simple as posting to only the first
newsgroup in the "Newsgroups: " *header?

* * * * And if it does this by default -- does it clearly notify you
that it is happening?

* * * * Enjoy,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

My posts in r.c.m. also appear in sci.engr.joining.welding, otherwise
I haven't checked. Perhaps the problem is that GG doesn't allow
crossposting to more than five newsgroups to restrict spammers. In XP
+IE8 it bitches, I haven't tried in kde yet.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" writes:

On Jun 5, 2:00=A0am, Paul Hays wrote:

Google- I'm having a similar problem with google groups.

Thanks. That was what I thought, but find it odd that Google screwed
up their program.

I see reports elsewhere that GG is hosed; and this is leading to
repeated postings by its users.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Lesher" wrote in message
" writes:

On Jun 5, 2:00=A0am, Paul Hays wrote:

Google- I'm having a similar problem with google groups.

Thanks. That was what I thought, but find it odd that Google screwed
up their program.

I see reports elsewhere that GG is hosed; and this is leading to
repeated postings by its users.

I was away for five days, until Wednesday night, and I tried to catch up
through Google Groups while I was away. But it was three days behind in
posting, so I couldn't use it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 1, 5:06*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I was away for five days, until Wednesday night, and I tried to catch up
through Google Groups while I was away. But it was three days behind in
posting, so I couldn't use it.

--
Ed Huntress

It seems OK now. 1:44 PM 7/2/2011

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 4:52*am, " wrote:
Okay maybe I should use a better program, but I do not read everything
in RCM. *So it works for me. *Or at least kind of works.

I started using Ubuntu and now when I look at a thread using the "
view as a tree " option,
i do not see all the posts unless I sort by date. *Anyone else observe
this. *Is it Google, Ubuntu, or me?

Dan

My Google groups didn't update after the 25th, then updated to the
27th on the 29th or 30th and finally caught up yesterday.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 3, 5:05*am, " wrote:
On Jun 4, 4:52*am, " wrote:

Okay maybe I should use a better program, but I do not read everything
in RCM. *So it works for me. *Or at least kind of works.

I started using Ubuntu and now when I look at a thread using the "
view as a tree " option,
i do not see all the posts unless I sort by date. *Anyone else observe
this. *Is it Google, Ubuntu, or me?

Dan

My Google groups didn't update after the 25th, then updated to the
27th on the 29th or 30th and finally caught up yesterday.
Karl

My Hex Broach response took 10 minutes to appear on both Google Groups
and Eternal-September. When it works, GG is a little easier to use
than OE + ES.

jsw

wtf with google groups? [email protected] UK diy 0 November 28th 09 01:31 AM
Google Groups problem? Martin Carroll UK diy 1 July 29th 09 11:34 PM
Google Groups. Weatherlawyer UK diy 2 June 15th 06 07:55 PM
New google Groups: Somewhat OT [email protected] Woodworking 1 December 4th 04 04:55 PM
Sorry- OT Re Google Groups- WTF? brad Woodworking 8 December 12th 03 01:21 PM