Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Not sure what are they doing exactly

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31410" wrote in message
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Having never seen a coconut, they're hoping they just found a whole box full
of them.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 26, 3:33*pm, Ignoramus31410 ignoramus31...@NOSPAM.
31410.invalid wrote:
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

* * * * *http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Reminiscent of the Bugs Bunny episode in which the gremlin is tapping
on the ends of bombs with a hammer in order to "test" them. Bugs walks
over and says "Hey Doc, let me have a whack at it."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

31410.invalid wrote:
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

? ? ? ? ?http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Reminiscent of the Bugs Bunny episode in which the gremlin is tapping
on the ends of bombs with a hammer in order to "test" them. Bugs walks
over and says "Hey Doc, let me have a whack at it."

By the way, the axe that is shown on the picture, is extremely nice
and can be used for just about everything: pounding nails, felling
trees, splitting wood, and carpentry.

I have one just like that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31410 wrote:
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Whatever it is, it looks like there's no future to it...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

31410.invalid wrote:
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

? ? ? ? ?http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Reminiscent of the Bugs Bunny episode in which the gremlin is tapping
on the ends of bombs with a hammer in order to "test" them. Bugs walks
over and says "Hey Doc, let me have a whack at it."

By the way, the axe that is shown on the picture, is extremely nice
and can be used for just about everything: pounding nails, felling
trees, splitting wood, and carpentry.

I have one just like that.

We would call that a broadaxe, which was used for squaring logs and timbers,
and for notching. A smaller version would be a carpenter's hatchet.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-26, Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus31410 wrote:
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Whatever it is, it looks like there's no future to it...

And look at the guy in the middle. He closed his eyes just in case
this artillery shell explodes.

Here's "the future", right from the same newspaper, though in a
different region.

http://www.pravda.ru/news/accidents/...415-arsenal-0/

This story talks about a large military ordnance warehouse that caught
fire today. A 10km area is evacuated.

I would call this the "Russian style" approach to safety.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 26, 3:33Β*pm, Ignoramus31410 ignoramus31...@NOSPAM.
31410.invalid wrote:
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

Β* Β* Β* Β* Β*http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Translation of the associated (pop-up) text does not help much:

Doctrines of the self-propelled artillery battery the Gunners who have
borrowed prize-winning places in district competition Π’Π’Πž will take
part in Primorski Krai in final, всСармСйском a stage of competitions
which by tradition will pass on the Luga artillery range of the
Western military district in July. A photo: RIA of News Vitaly
AnkovSmotrite also: Ми-24 doctrines, shooting, the artillery battery,
range the Clerk, Primorski Krai, area Hasansky

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

31410.invalid wrote:
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

?? ?? ?? ?? ??http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Translation of the associated (pop-up) text does not help much:

Doctrines of the self-propelled artillery battery the Gunners who have
borrowed prize-winning places in district competition ?????? will take
part in Primorski Krai in final, ???????????????????????? a stage of competitions
which by tradition will pass on the Luga artillery range of the
Western military district in July. A photo: RIA of News Vitaly
AnkovSmotrite also: ????-24 doctrines, shooting, the artillery battery,
range the Clerk, Primorski Krai, area Hasansky

Dave

My translation

WARGAMES OF A SELF-PROPELLED ARTILLERY BRIGADE.

Artillerymen who won a prize in a district wide military competition,
will take part in the final army wide part of it. It will be
traditionally held in the Luzhsk artillery range in the Western
military district, in July.

Provided they survive until July, of course.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31410 wrote:

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Considering graphics exploits that have affected windoze machines, I'm not about to go to
a .ru site.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 May 2011 18:52:45 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Ignoramus31410 wrote:

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Considering graphics exploits that have affected windoze machines, I'm not about to go to
a .ru site.

I bailed out of it with the Task Manager (which my computer guy told
me about to save from accidentally installing mismarked warning tabs)
after a window popped up from the .ru site. sigh

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-26, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus31410 wrote:

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Considering graphics exploits that have affected windoze machines, I'm not about to go to
a .ru site.

Wes, I downloaded that image to my website.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Russian-A...ons-Safety.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 May 2011 18:36:04 -0500, Ignoramus31410

On 2011-05-26, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus31410 wrote:

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Considering graphics exploits that have affected windoze machines, I'm not about to go to
a .ru site.

Wes, I downloaded that image to my website.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Russian-A...ons-Safety.jpg

That looks like something straight out of Idiocracy, doesn't it?
shudder

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-26, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus31410 wrote:

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Considering graphics exploits that have affected windoze machines, I'm not about to go to
a .ru site.

Wes, I downloaded that image to my website.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Russian-A...ons-Safety.jpg

That looks like something straight out of Idiocracy, doesn't it?
shudder

Looks rather stupid to me, I wonder if there is some mundane explanation.

I resized the image above by 2x, by the way, just to make it easier to
see what is going on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-26, wrote:
wrote:

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Considering graphics exploits that have affected windoze machines, I'm not about to go to
a .ru site.

Wes, I downloaded that image to my website.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Russian-A...ons-Safety.jpg

That looks like something straight out of Idiocracy, doesn't it?
shudder

Looks rather stupid to me, I wonder if there is some mundane explanation.

I resized the image above by 2x, by the way, just to make it easier to
see what is going on.

Oh, they are just setting a slightly stuck fuse dial, but the guy with
the eyes closed has had problems before with this method, check out the
bandaids on his fingers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-26, wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Maybe he had problems with something else, this is the army, they
always have bruised everything and scratches.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31410 wrote:
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

I'm pretty sure that ring un screws and he is using the
knife as a drift punch to try and un-screw it.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-26, wrote:
wrote:

[...]

That's a sweet little axe.

I wonder if this is one of those Russian versions of mote posters.
Y'know, like these: http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
(My ironic sense of humor makes me adore those, BTW.)

Maybe this one fits he http://www.despair.com/curiosity.html

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:42:03 -0600, Lewis Hartswick
wrote:

Ignoramus31410 wrote:
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

I'm pretty sure that ring un screws and he is using the
knife as a drift punch to try and un-screw it.

Right, the patented Russian EasyOut(r).

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-26, wrote:
wrote:

[...]

It is an awesome axe. I have two of those.

I wonder if this is one of those Russian versions of mote posters.
Y'know, like these: http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
(My ironic sense of humor makes me adore those, BTW.)

Maybe this one fits he http://www.despair.com/curiosity.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31410 wrote:

Looks rather stupid to me, I wonder if there is some mundane explanation.

Maybe they are trying to adjust the setting on the fuze?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery_fuze

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 May 2011 22:39:38 -0500, Ignoramus31410

On 2011-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:

That's a sweet little axe.

It is an awesome axe. I have two of those.

One for each hand on Halloween?

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-26, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus31410 wrote:

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Considering graphics exploits that have affected windoze machines, I'm not about to go to
a .ru site.

Wes, I downloaded that image to my website.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Russian-A...ons-Safety.jpg

That looks like something straight out of Idiocracy, doesn't it?
shudder

Looks rather stupid to me, I wonder if there is some mundane explanation.

I resized the image above by 2x, by the way, just to make it easier to
see what is going on.

Or if it was a soldiers attempt at humor? The Russians can be prone to
that as long as a CO is not watching....VBG

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 27 May 2011 13:41:40 -0700

Wes, I downloaded that image to my website.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Russian-A...ons-Safety.jpg

That looks like something straight out of Idiocracy, doesn't it?
shudder

Looks rather stupid to me, I wonder if there is some mundane explanation.

I resized the image above by 2x, by the way, just to make it easier to
see what is going on.

Or if it was a soldiers attempt at humor? The Russians can be prone to
that as long as a CO is not watching....VBG

Why limit it to the Russians?

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"T.Alan Kraus" on Thu, 26 May 2011 18:08:46 -0700

On 2011-05-26, wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Rusty? Corroded from not quite optimal storage?

Three guys recreating a Bug Bunny Cartoon?

W/o more data, one cannot know. Not knowing, cannot say.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes on Fri, 27 May 2011 05:06:17 -0400
Ignoramus31410 wrote:

Looks rather stupid to me, I wonder if there is some mundane explanation.

Maybe they are trying to adjust the setting on the fuze?

That would make sense. Except that there should be a Proper Tool
for that, complete with Russian Army Nomenclature. "Wrench, Artillery
Fuse Setting. Mark II, Left handed, bronze, one each."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery_fuze

Wes

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Thu, 26 May 2011
20:26:29 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

Ignoramus31410 wrote:
These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

I'm pretty sure that ring un screws and he is using the
knife as a drift punch to try and un-screw it.

Right, the patented Russian EasyOut(r).

"Winner, winner, Chicken Dinner!" - probably.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-26, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus31410 wrote:

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

http://www.pravda.ru/photo/album/17239/4/

Considering graphics exploits that have affected windoze machines, I'm not about to go to
a .ru site.

Wes, I downloaded that image to my website.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Russian-A...ons-Safety.jpg

That looks like something straight out of Idiocracy, doesn't it?
shudder

Looks rather stupid to me, I wonder if there is some mundane explanation.

I resized the image above by 2x, by the way, just to make it easier to
see what is going on.

Or if it was a soldiers attempt at humor? The Russians can be prone to
that as long as a CO is not watching....VBG

Gunner

If you look closely is an unfused projectile. Look at some of the
other pictures in the series to see what a fused round looks like.

So Gunner was right.... this time.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)