Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default strange tool

A friend gave me a bunch of old automotive tools.
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:48:29 -0700 (PDT), engineman
wrote:

A friend gave me a bunch of old automotive tools.
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

the site asked for a password. i don't know it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"engineman" wrote in message
A friend gave me a bunch of old automotive tools.
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

The JavaScript for this page failed to load correctly.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"engineman"
I knew what most of them were but this one
stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

private site, password required

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

"engineman"
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

private site, password required

Talk about a mystery tool ..................

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 30, 5:24*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

"engineman"
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

private site, password required

Talk about a mystery tool ..................

Shutterfly sucks,sorry for the trouble
try this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/enginem...f25e2Q6aiGiQE#

Engineman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*(http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/) no good

Shutterfly sucks,sorry for the trouble
try this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/enginem...y=Gv1sRgCJf25e...
Engineman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"engineman" wrote in message
On Apr 30, 5:24 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

"engineman"
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

private site, password required

Talk about a mystery tool ..................

Shutterfly sucks,sorry for the trouble
try this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/enginem...f25e2Q6aiGiQE#

Engineman

How about sending the pics to sunnen.com and ask them?
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:44:19 -0700 (PDT), engineman
wrote:

On Apr 30, 5:24Â*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

"engineman"
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

private site, password required

Talk about a mystery tool ..................

Shutterfly sucks,sorry for the trouble
try this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/enginem...f25e2Q6aiGiQE#

Same trouble.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-30, engineman wrote:
A friend gave me a bunch of old automotive tools.
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

1) The site wants JavaScript to be enabled (just for a picture)?

2) Once it is enabled, it wants a site password which you
supposedly gave us. :-)

Two strikes -- you're out.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-01, engineman wrote:
On Apr 30, 5:24*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

[ ... ]

private site, password required

Talk about a mystery tool ..................

Shutterfly sucks,sorry for the trouble
try this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/enginem...f25e2Q6aiGiQE#

O.K. I don't recognize it - -but the Sunnen brand suggests that
it is related to their bore honing machines -- perhaps for installing
honeing stones in the hones?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston_Smith" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:51:29 -0700 (PDT), engineman
wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/enginem...y=Gv1sRgCJf25e...

400 BAD_REQUEST
Unable to process request.

part of your address is missing.

The link worked for me earlier, but not now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"engineman" wrote in message
On Apr 30, 5:24 pm, "Steve B"
wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in
message

"engineman"
I knew what most of them were but this one
stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

private site, password required

Talk about a mystery tool ..................

Shutterfly sucks,sorry for the trouble
try this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/enginem...f25e2Q6aiGiQE#

Engineman

This link worked for me. The one posted a bit
later
is missing the last part: 2Q6aiGiQE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Could it be a valve lifter compressor?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 May 2011 08:06:06 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Could it be a valve lifter compressor?

No chance. They have curved jaws to hold the spring and washer.

Personally, I think it's one of those women's toe compressors which
prep the foot, allowing them to get their toes into those pointyass
shoes they like to wear.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Could it be a valve lifter compressor?

No chance. They have curved jaws to hold the
spring and washer.

Personally, I think it's one of those women's
toe compressors which
prep the foot, allowing them to get their toes
into those pointyass
shoes they like to wear.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.

Perhaps some kind of fence tensioner? Rob H. has
lots of them...;)}

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"engineman" wrote in message

A friend gave me a bunch of old automotive tools.
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

It looks a lot like tools we used to use to compress springs on the rear
shock absorbers of older motorcycles.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 1, 7:44*pm, "Steve" wrote:
"engineman" *wrote in message

A friend gave me a bunch of old automotive tools.
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

It looks a lot like tools we used to use to compress springs on the rear
shock absorbers of older motorcycles.

Steve R.

I think you're pretty close on that. Granddaddy had a pair of those
in his garage when my sister cleaned it out. He was a mechanic. They
were rusted up worse than that so they went for scrap and I didn't get
a close look, one day they were there, the next time I looked, gone.
Ignoring the Sunnen connection, I don't think they always built just
honing equipment, how about clamps for assembling/dismantling leaf
spring bundles? Don't know for sure, but the ones I saw had just
about spacing enough to manage that.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 7, 12:23*am, Jack wrote:
* On Apr 30, 12:48 pm, engineman wrote:

A friend gave me a bunch of old automotive tools.
I knew what most of them were but this one stumps me.
Any ideas?
I'd like to sell these tools on Craigslist.
Engineman

http://strangetool.shutterfly.com/

Its a Sunnen valve spring compressor for side valve engines.
see:http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...compressor.jpg

Tom

OK, I'll bet the clips that went with it were in one of the bags of
rust out there. I do have the eggbeater-style valve grinder that went
with it somewhere, had a semi-circular end that fit in the slot in the
valve head. Not a lot of call for either these days.

Stan