Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A good Car Talk Puzzler

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
. 3.70...

"Califbill" fired this volley in
:

Besides, that is a stupidly (yes, stupidly) applied idea, that you can
"pervert" the conditions of a mental puzzle, simply because you wish to do
so. The conditions named are the conditions you must deal with. If you
can't think to that "level of precision", then get out of the way of people
who can.

Gawd!

LLoyd

Reply:
You are the one lacking any math skills, and logical thinking skills.
Gawd!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" fired this volley
in :

Correct, although in practice a length of rope 150 feet long is
usually understood to be a little on the long side. Additionally,
given that a length of rope 150 feet long is going to stretch a bit
when hanging by its own weight, the poles need not be touching.

Again, not a valid assumption. The puzzle did not include any "real
world" conditions. It specified a lenght of 150', which, unless you are
given tolerances or allowances for conditions, must be assumed to be 150'.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:48:18 -0400, jeff_wisnia

How many of you are good enough at high powered math to solve this
week's puzzzler?

It only took me about 10 minutes. G

Here 'tis:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/puzzl...116/index.html

Don't reply with the answer, just tell me how long it took YOU to "get
it".

I figured the parabola equation was needed and couldn't figure on how
to plot it in the real world to make trough parabolic mirrors years
ago. I assumed the hanging chain was a parabola. Thinking back, I
wonder if that was the reason that the mirror was off a bit. I tryed
to fix it while testing the curve with a plumb bob and sighting down
the string, but started exponentially getting further off so I went
back to the original.

Things that make ya go hmmm.

The curve of the drooping part isn't a parabola, it's a catenary, which
the car talk guys misspelled.

You can look up its equation on Wiki, but this has been solved in
seconds by those who caught the gag.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

In , on Tue, 19 Apr 2011
14:53:53 -0500, Sunworshipper, SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:

I figured the parabola equation was needed and couldn't figure on how
to plot it in the real world

I did mine on a Commodore 64. If you didn't use
one, that must be where you went wrong. ;-)

I wrote a program for the C64 to print a list of the AZ/EL for every
C-band Sat for any latitude or longitude. There were programs for other
computers to do one bird, then run it again for another. This did
everything in one pass, and required a couple custom functions be
defined.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Sunworshipper wrote:
[...]

I always thought a catenary was what you get when you cross a cat and a
canary.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 22:21:38 -0400, John
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
Sunworshipper wrote:
[...]

Or what you get when the canary gets caught in the cat's throat

[OT] ISPs Tiscali/ talk talk, or whatever silly name they call themselves. Donwill[_3_] UK diy 17 September 8th 10 10:53 PM
Goyfire Talk Radio for Whites - WE...are the Good Guys Youre White, Be White Metalworking 0 August 19th 10 09:27 AM
Goyfire Talk Radio for Whites - WE...are the Good Guys Youre White, Be White Home Repair 0 August 19th 10 09:26 AM
Its good to talk George UK diy 3 June 22nd 08 01:18 PM
PUZZLER??? Jack the Lad UK diy 12 February 7th 04 04:59 PM