Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling itty bitty holes

I just messed up my only #71 drill bit -- boo hoo.

What's the name of the gizmo that you use when you have a Great Big Drill
Press, and you need to drill an itty bitty hole?

The one that transmits rotation to the drill, but lets you be the one
that exerts downward force on it.

Alternate suggestions for methods of drilling itty bitty holes will also
be gratefully accepted (Time to build my own plunge EDM machine?)

And, any suggestions of sources for drill bits, and types? McMaster has
a bunch. I need some to drill aluminum, some to drill really thin (15 or
30 mil) birch plywood.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-09, Tim Wescott wrote:
I just messed up my only #71 drill bit -- boo hoo.

What's the name of the gizmo that you use when you have a Great Big Drill
Press, and you need to drill an itty bitty hole?

The one that transmits rotation to the drill, but lets you be the one
that exerts downward force on it.

Alternate suggestions for methods of drilling itty bitty holes will also
be gratefully accepted (Time to build my own plunge EDM machine?)

And, any suggestions of sources for drill bits, and types? McMaster has
a bunch. I need some to drill aluminum, some to drill really thin (15 or
30 mil) birch plywood.

McMaster has them, what you need is a sensitive drill chuck, or a CNC
milling machine that would apply consistent feed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 21:17:56 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

I just messed up my only #71 drill bit -- boo hoo.

What's the name of the gizmo that you use when you have a Great Big Drill
Press, and you need to drill an itty bitty hole?

The one that transmits rotation to the drill, but lets you be the one
that exerts downward force on it.

Alternate suggestions for methods of drilling itty bitty holes will also
be gratefully accepted (Time to build my own plunge EDM machine?)

And, any suggestions of sources for drill bits, and types? McMaster has
a bunch. I need some to drill aluminum, some to drill really thin (15 or
30 mil) birch plywood.

==========
see
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=290-1291
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=0000000605
and
http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Workholding/WH147.asp
http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/...s+%26+Adapters
http://www.amazon.com/AF-22-0-0008-L.../dp/B002KVIKL8
http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...categoryID=181

http://www.micromark.com/No-71-Drill...of-6,6654.html
http://www.hermanscentral.com/produc...fm?sid=FRoogle

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
I just messed up my only #71 drill bit -- boo hoo.

What's the name of the gizmo that you use when you have a Great Big Drill
Press, and you need to drill an itty bitty hole?

The one that transmits rotation to the drill, but lets you be the one
that exerts downward force on it.

Alternate suggestions for methods of drilling itty bitty holes will also
be gratefully accepted (Time to build my own plunge EDM machine?)

And, any suggestions of sources for drill bits, and types? McMaster has
a bunch. I need some to drill aluminum, some to drill really thin (15 or
30 mil) birch plywood.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Just go to Farnell / element 14 or RS components and grab a PCB drill the
right size. Get ones with the 1/8 shank. I've use them routinely in my big
old Waldown radial utility drill press and they work fine. The carbide ones
are a bit fragile but ok if treated nicely.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/8/2011 10:17 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
I just messed up my only #71 drill bit -- boo hoo.

What's the name of the gizmo that you use when you have a Great Big Drill
Press, and you need to drill an itty bitty hole?

The one that transmits rotation to the drill, but lets you be the one
that exerts downward force on it.

Alternate suggestions for methods of drilling itty bitty holes will also
be gratefully accepted (Time to build my own plunge EDM machine?)

And, any suggestions of sources for drill bits, and types? McMaster has
a bunch. I need some to drill aluminum, some to drill really thin (15 or
30 mil) birch plywood.

Buy a Foredom flexshaft and drill press attachment, it's a lifetime
investment and really useful for handwork and finishing. I drill
thousands of holes with similar sized drills in 14 ga. sterling. I find
a slow speed and beeswax as a lubricant works best. When the drills
break it is usually because they are either dull or because the work moves.

--
:3 )~

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just messed up my only #71 drill bit -- boo hoo.

What's the name of the gizmo that you use when you have a Great Big Drill
Press, and you need to drill an itty bitty hole?

The one that transmits rotation to the drill, but lets you be the one
that exerts downward force on it.

Alternate suggestions for methods of drilling itty bitty holes will also
be gratefully accepted (Time to build my own plunge EDM machine?)

And, any suggestions of sources for drill bits, and types? McMaster has
a bunch. I need some to drill aluminum, some to drill really thin (15 or
30 mil) birch plywood.

If you do a lot of small hole drilling..Ive got some Sensitive drill
presses Id be interested in selling.

2 Southbends that turn 20,000 rpm and a paired unit..cant remember the
name but its also at least 20k rpm

All units are 208 3ph. Id suggest one of the Southbends...unless you ar
coming through here..it weighs damned near 100 pounds

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not that many -- and I'd really like to drill the piece in the lathe, as
part of a bunch of turning. I think a sensitive chuck is the way to go.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 13:37:44 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:
SNIP
Not that many -- and I'd really like to drill the piece in the lathe, as
part of a bunch of turning. I think a sensitive chuck is the way to go.

SNIP

Something that worked well for me was to adapt a pen vise.
Get a drill blank that is a close fit in the hole in the
handle, chuck the drill blank in the tail stock and slide
the pin vise over this. While this does not transmit any
torque, this is an advantage as you can feel how the drill
is biting and "peck" very easily. Also good as a miniature
tap wrench. I used mine mainly to make up special length
drop indicator extensions [4-48 #42 tap drill]

see
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/cat...gory_id/14224/
(import)
also General and Starrett

http://tool.wttool.com/search?w=drill+blanks&x=0&y=0

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=0002000946
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=0002001904

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 8, 10:17*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:

Alternate suggestions for methods of drilling itty bitty holes will also
be gratefully accepted (Time to build my own plunge EDM machine?)

Harbor Freight has an little air tool Item # 47869 that has the high
rpm's for drilling small holes. Somewhere on the internet there is a
web site showing how some kids made a drilling machine for PBC's that
used one of these to drill. The machine drilled from the bottom up.
A laser pointer mounted above showed where the hole would be.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

= Alternate suggestions for methods of drilling itty bitty holes
-=-

when I was working with the guys at GE in Daytona, they drilled fiberglas
PCB material at 120Krpm. Of course, they were drilling a 1/2" stack at 10
"hits" per second.... G (all .015 to .032 holes at that speed; carbide,
only)

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 9, 6:18*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
= Alternate suggestions for methods of drilling itty bitty holes
-=-

when I was working with the guys at GE in Daytona, they drilled fiberglas
PCB material at 120Krpm. *Of course, they were drilling a 1/2" stack at 10
"hits" per second.... G *(all .015 to .032 holes at that speed; carbide,
only)

LLoyd

The Harbor Freight tool only turns up to 56,000 rpm.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 16:28:35 -0500, F. George McDuffee wrote:

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 13:37:44 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:
SNIP
Not that many -- and I'd really like to drill the piece in the lathe, as
part of a bunch of turning. I think a sensitive chuck is the way to go.

SNIP

Something that worked well for me was to adapt a pen vise. Get a drill
blank that is a close fit in the hole in the handle, chuck the drill
blank in the tail stock and slide the pin vise over this. While this
does not transmit any torque, this is an advantage as you can feel how
the drill is biting and "peck" very easily. Also good as a miniature
tap wrench. I used mine mainly to make up special length drop indicator
extensions [4-48 #42 tap drill]

I think that'll work. I think I'll try it, in fact.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

I just messed up my only #71 drill bit -- boo hoo.

What's the name of the gizmo that you use when you have a Great Big Drill
Press, and you need to drill an itty bitty hole?

Dremel Rotary Tool Work Station. ;-)
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-Moto-to.../dp/B0000302Y5

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 19:58:51 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 16:28:35 -0500, F. George McDuffee wrote:

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 13:37:44 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:
SNIP
Not that many -- and I'd really like to drill the piece in the lathe, as
part of a bunch of turning. I think a sensitive chuck is the way to go.

SNIP

Something that worked well for me was to adapt a pen vise. Get a drill
blank that is a close fit in the hole in the handle, chuck the drill
blank in the tail stock and slide the pin vise over this. While this
does not transmit any torque, this is an advantage as you can feel how
the drill is biting and "peck" very easily. Also good as a miniature
tap wrench. I used mine mainly to make up special length drop indicator
extensions [4-48 #42 tap drill]

I think that'll work. I think I'll try it, in fact.

I use a an overrun small 12v DC motor fitted with a pin chuck and
mounted in a housing which has an extension that slides freely in
the tailstock chuck.

This gives me a high speed (15,000 RPM) tailstock drill. Since I
manually feed the motor housing I can directly feel both drill
torque and feed pressure.

A JPG is in the drop box under the heading
"Tailstock Drill chuck"

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

(...)

A JPG is in the drop box under the heading
"Tailstock Drill chuck"

I don't see anything between:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tailstock4.JPG
and
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/TakHeadstock.txt

What am I doing wrong, Jim?

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:23:53 -0700, Winston

(...)

A JPG is in the drop box under the heading
"Tailstock Drill chuck"

I don't see anything between:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tailstock4.JPG
and
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/TakHeadstock.txt

What am I doing wrong, Jim?

--Winston

Nothing! The JPG and accompaning text file were posted to the
drop box but have't appeared yet.
Not sure of the reason for the delay so I've posted duplicate
files to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12206624@N04/5608853279/

Drilling SDS holes Rick Hughes UK diy 22 January 5th 09 02:20 PM
Itty bitty lathe Kate Woodworking 36 September 2nd 07 03:29 AM
Drilling 21/32" holes in blown-out 5/8-11 holes Tom Gardner Metalworking 10 November 29th 04 08:37 AM
drilling 1" (or so) holes knob Metalworking 27 August 10th 04 03:01 AM
Drilling holes in HHS Tom Thorsen Woodturning 7 October 31st 03 09:20 PM