Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Drilling itty bitty holes

On 04/09/2011 01:27 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 21:17:56 -0500, Tim
wrote:

I just messed up my only #71 drill bit -- boo hoo.

What's the name of the gizmo that you use when you have a Great Big Drill
Press, and you need to drill an itty bitty hole?

The one that transmits rotation to the drill, but lets you be the one
that exerts downward force on it.

Alternate suggestions for methods of drilling itty bitty holes will also
be gratefully accepted (Time to build my own plunge EDM machine?)

And, any suggestions of sources for drill bits, and types? McMaster has
a bunch. I need some to drill aluminum, some to drill really thin (15 or
30 mil) birch plywood.

If you do a lot of small hole drilling..Ive got some Sensitive drill
presses Id be interested in selling.

2 Southbends that turn 20,000 rpm and a paired unit..cant remember the
name but its also at least 20k rpm

All units are 208 3ph. Id suggest one of the Southbends...unless you ar
coming through here..it weighs damned near 100 pounds

Not that many -- and I'd really like to drill the piece in the lathe, as
part of a bunch of turning. I think a sensitive chuck is the way to go.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services