Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lincoln 175 SP question

I bought one of these, and I like it, although not nearly as much as my
MillerMatic 200.

I have lately run into problems when I want to run something at the top of
the parameters of the machine. I went and asked for an .045 liner, and
they
gave me the wrong kind, an .035". The machine has rollers for .030, so
don't know if it would even run .045. I did get a roll of .035" FCAW.

I turn up the heat, and the wire speed, but I just can't seem to get the
puddle and fusion I need. I'm welding on some 1/4". The trigger
situation
has been solved by the addition of a $2 doorbell bar, but the speed or
something seems intermittent. I haven't really done a ton of welding with
it on lower settings with .025" or .030", but can't get that sound I like
with the higher settings.

Maybe I need to get out the FCAW, or just stick weld thicker things?

Anyone have any thoughts of a 175 at the top of the range?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com