Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Japan Robotics Problem

How hard and fast could an excavator be hooked up for remote control
with a fire hose in Japan? 10 hours? I'd put redundant cameras on the
arm.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote:

How hard and fast could an excavator be hooked up for remote control
with a fire hose in Japan? 10 hours? I'd put redundant cameras on the
arm.

SW

I'd think more like 2 days, since gathering the components would take
some time. I'd also say that some time would need to be spent wrapping
lead shielding around the electronics since most off the shelf
components that would be available would not be radiation hardened. It
would certainly be feasible, but they also need to be sure that such a
hacked together machine would not be at risk of loosing it's remote
control and plowing unguided through the reactor causing greater
problems.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Sunworshipper wrote:

How hard and fast could an excavator be hooked up for remote control
with a fire hose in Japan? 10 hours? I'd put redundant cameras on the
arm.

I'd think more like 2 days, since gathering the components would take
some time.

Probably even more, since they just had an 8.9 magnitude earthquake
there plus a 30-foot tsunami.

They're probably focusing more on getting clean water and food to the
people who were displaced.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Sunworshipper wrote:

How hard and fast could an excavator be hooked up for remote control
with a fire hose in Japan? 10 hours? I'd put redundant cameras on the
arm.

I'd think more like 2 days, since gathering the components would take
some time.

Probably even more, since they just had an 8.9 magnitude earthquake
there plus a 30-foot tsunami.

They're probably focusing more on getting clean water and food to the
people who were displaced.

Thanks,
Rich

The earthquake was upgraded to 9.0. At any rate they have plenty of
people and certainly have enough people focused on this particular
problem.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-17, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:

How hard and fast could an excavator be hooked up for remote control
with a fire hose in Japan? 10 hours? I'd put redundant cameras on the
arm.

At least 4 days if you buy all parts on ebay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote:

How hard and fast could an excavator be hooked up for remote control
with a fire hose in Japan? 10 hours? I'd put redundant cameras on the
arm.

They probably have these, we do, too. They are used in steel mills for
cleanup work near the furnaces. They usually have short-range radio
controls, but that could probably be fixed in short order.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:25:26 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Sunworshipper wrote:

How hard and fast could an excavator be hooked up for remote control
with a fire hose in Japan? 10 hours? I'd put redundant cameras on the
arm.

They probably have these, we do, too. They are used in steel mills for
cleanup work near the furnaces. They usually have short-range radio
controls, but that could probably be fixed in short order.

Jon

Looks like they better also start wiring up Schwing concrete pumping
trucks. Just keep pumping till the trucks choke on concrete and they
will have a number of concrete pyramids with booms hung over them.

I'd hard wire them, no need to back up.

I still say to build these things in a 200 foot hole, that way when
they are toast they can just fill it in.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No need for radiation hardening, this is for electronics subjected to
EMP (electro magnetic pulse) as the result of a NUC bomb detonation.
Not radiation of isotope emissions. Could be a big problem with
Neutrons, depending on the age of electronics, but lead does not stop
these effectively, believe it or not Styrofoam does a better job of
shielding neutrons. Neutrons are a real problem with today's digital
circuitry because of very small nanometer technology. It's a real
problem with aircraft today, high flying and over the poles worst
place to fly. Upsets do occur.