Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ignator[_2_] ignator[_2_] is offline

Default Japan Robotics Problem

No need for radiation hardening, this is for electronics subjected to
EMP (electro magnetic pulse) as the result of a NUC bomb detonation.
Not radiation of isotope emissions. Could be a big problem with
Neutrons, depending on the age of electronics, but lead does not stop
these effectively, believe it or not Styrofoam does a better job of
shielding neutrons. Neutrons are a real problem with today's digital
circuitry because of very small nanometer technology. It's a real
problem with aircraft today, high flying and over the poles worst
place to fly. Upsets do occur.

On Mar 17, 3:55*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Sunworshipper wrote:

How hard and fast could an excavator be hooked up for remote control
with a fire hose in Japan? 10 hours? I'd put redundant cameras on the
arm.

SW

I'd think more like 2 days, since gathering the components would take
some time. I'd also say that some time would need to be spent wrapping
lead shielding around the electronics since most off the shelf
components that would be available would not be radiation hardened. It
would certainly be feasible, but they also need to be sure that such a
hacked together machine would not be at risk of loosing it's remote
control and plowing unguided through the reactor causing greater
problems.