Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drill old gass

On 03/13/2011 12:24 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I haven't measured up for sure, but I'm thinking this stuff is 1/8 NPT size.

Lamps and stuff use 1/8" NPS rather than NPT. I was told that is a
carry-over from the gas plumbing that it replaced.

BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Milady needs me for my shop skills. Don't happen that often.

She has old canning jars. The type with a glass lid and a little wire
arrangement to pull the glass lid tight. She wants to put small lights
inside and needs a hole drilled. I haven't measured up for sure, but
I'm thinking this stuff is 1/8 NPT size.

OK, how do I drill very old glass? I get several points off for every
one I break.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Milady needs me for my shop skills. Don't happen that often.

She has old canning jars. The type with a glass lid and a little wire
arrangement to pull the glass lid tight. She wants to put small lights
inside and needs a hole drilled. I haven't measured up for sure, but
I'm thinking this stuff is 1/8 NPT size.

OK, how do I drill very old glass? I get several points off for every
one I break.

Karl

The old way would be to use some copper or brass tube with an OD the
size of the hole you want. Make a dam round the hole with plasticene and
add some abrasive like valve grinding paste and a bit of water or oil,
Hold the tube in a drill press running at a slow speed and repeatadly
apply pressure and lift. The abrasive imbeds in the softer tube material
like a lap and grinds through the glass.

The new way would be to use a diamond hole saw but still have the dam to
retain water to keep the glass cool. You can probably buy them on eBay
for a few dollars in the size you want.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:48:39 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Carbide bits are available for under ten bucks and they work extremely
well for tile, glass (not tempered), and ceramics. No cooling
necessary at all. http://tinyurl.com/48c32js HF apparently doesn't
carry them any more.

Back up the drilling point so the glass doesn't break out the back
side. Cold clay works well to provide a solid backing. Use a light
touch and immediately stop the drill upon exiting. Quick-stopping
cordless drill motors work best for this.

--
You create your opportunities by asking for them.
-- Patty Hansen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Cooling may not be required but it does help prevent the glass cracking
due to thermally induced stress.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
No cooling
necessary at all. http://tinyurl.com/48c32js HF apparently doesn't
carry them any more.

Or a lot of other things either.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington Inscribed thus:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Agreed ! Diamond Drills on Ebay have a good selection that are
inexpensive.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

The new way would be to use a diamond hole saw but still have the dam to
retain water to keep the glass cool. You can probably buy them on eBay
for a few dollars in the size you want.

Carbide bits are available for under ten bucks and they work extremely
well for tile, glass (not tempered), and ceramics. No cooling
necessary at all. http://tinyurl.com/48c32js HF apparently doesn't
carry them any more.

Back up the drilling point so the glass doesn't break out the back
side. Cold clay works well to provide a solid backing. Use a light
touch and immediately stop the drill upon exiting. Quick-stopping
cordless drill motors work best for this.

Cooling may not be required but it does help prevent the glass cracking
due to thermally induced stress.

I haven't noticed warmth above body temp in drillings I've done with
the carbide "spade" style drills I use. I know the powdered diamond
style gets hotter and can require coolant.

--
You create your opportunities by asking for them.
-- Patty Hansen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 09:44:07 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
No cooling
necessary at all. http://tinyurl.com/48c32js HF apparently doesn't
carry them any more.

Or a lot of other things either.

That's why I like to buy lots of little things when they show up
there.

--
You create your opportunities by asking for them.
-- Patty Hansen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the advice. I placed an order with an eBay vendor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Carbide bits are available ... http://tinyurl.com/48c32js ...

Ooo ... they have "Integrated Speed Load system". What??? ... how can a
drill bit have an "Integrated Speed Load system"? And what is it, for
that matter. Oh, I know ... it's a triumph of marketing over engineering.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I placed an order with an eBay vendor.

What did you go for in the end?.

BTW never used the spade bits myself but IIRC they've been around for
decades or more, at least as long as I can recall but maybe the
materials have improved.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Many of the quick-change drill accessory "speed chucks" utilize the groove
around the hex portion of the shank to allow fast tool/cutter changes.
These types of "speed chucks" typically have an outer sleeve that's pulled
back to release a ball or other latching device which allows the user to
change the tool/cutters quickly, instead of loosening the drill's chuck, and
then retightening it for each change of tool/cutter.

--
WB

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

Carbide bits are available ... http://tinyurl.com/48c32js ...

Ooo ... they have "Integrated Speed Load system". What??? ... how can a
drill bit have an "Integrated Speed Load system"? And what is it, for
that matter. Oh, I know ... it's a triumph of marketing over engineering.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Milady needs me for my shop skills. Don't happen that often.

She has old canning jars. The type with a glass lid and a little wire
arrangement to pull the glass lid tight. She wants to put small lights
inside and needs a hole drilled. I haven't measured up for sure, but
I'm thinking this stuff is 1/8 NPT size.

OK, how do I drill very old glass? I get several points off for every
one I break.

I still like the brass tube and abrasive powder method. If you take it slow, stresses are
much lower than some pointy hard thing.

Industrial diamond paste sounds like something that might hold promise.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

I haven't drilled that species of old glass but certain of
the antique
compositions like to fragment around the periphery of
hole ends with carbide.

Diamond hole drills would be my option. The tricks are to
put them in a pond of water, feed straight, lightly and
slowly
and back the exit hole up with something for support
against
rim breakouts.

If you have any waterproof ring (e.g. big gasket, O ring)
you
can use that as your coolant reservoir after using grease to
affix it to the glass.

I use a modified, quick-setting plaster as breakout
protection
on because it can conform to the glass. It shears
off after drilling with a tiny bit of cleanup. Something
that
didn't involve cleanup would be an improvement.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

--
You create your opportunities by asking for them.
-- Patty Hansen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Milady needs me for my shop skills. Don't happen that often.

She has old canning jars. The type with a glass lid and a little wire
arrangement to pull the glass lid tight. She wants to put small lights
inside and needs a hole drilled. I haven't measured up for sure, but
I'm thinking this stuff is 1/8 NPT size.

OK, how do I drill very old glass? I get several points off for every
one I break.

Karl

I've found that diamond grinding burrs in a Dremel do the job very
well. Submerging the glass under water with the grinding site just
beneath the surface catches the dust, keeps everything cool, and
damps vibrations in the glass.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 17:20:32 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Carbide bits are available ... http://tinyurl.com/48c32js ...

Ooo ... they have "Integrated Speed Load system". What??? ... how can a
drill bit have an "Integrated Speed Load system"? And what is it, for
that matter. Oh, I know ... it's a triumph of marketing over engineering.

That's marketspeak for "quick-change chuck style", Bob.
I call 'em "hex-shanked do-dads", myself.

--
You create your opportunities by asking for them.
-- Patty Hansen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 19:21:20 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Milady needs me for my shop skills. Don't happen that often.

She has old canning jars. The type with a glass lid and a little wire
arrangement to pull the glass lid tight. She wants to put small lights
inside and needs a hole drilled. I haven't measured up for sure, but
I'm thinking this stuff is 1/8 NPT size.

OK, how do I drill very old glass? I get several points off for every
one I break.

I still like the brass tube and abrasive powder method. If you take it slow, stresses are
much lower than some pointy hard thing.

Industrial diamond paste sounds like something that might hold promise.

It also costs an arm and a leg and takes a week per hole. Pass.
The arrowhead carbides are dynamite, Wes. Try it. You'll like it.

--
You create your opportunities by asking for them.
-- Patty Hansen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

I used a cordless screwdriver powering a copper or brass tube through
a 1/4" square drive U joint and very little pressure.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/13/2011 05:24 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
Milady needs me for my shop skills. Don't happen that often.

She has old canning jars. The type with a glass lid and a little wire
arrangement to pull the glass lid tight. She wants to put small lights
inside and needs a hole drilled. I haven't measured up for sure, but
I'm thinking this stuff is 1/8 NPT size.

OK, how do I drill very old glass? I get several points off for every
one I break.

Karl

Whatever else you do, experiment on coke bottles or mayonnaise jars or
whatever new glass things you have sitting around, before you go
thumping on SWMBO's nice old antique stuff.

Instead of putting light bulbs in there, wouldn't they look better with
canned apple slices, or cherries, or something?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Bob Engelhard wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Carbide bits are available ... http://tinyurl.com/48c32js ...

Ooo ... they have "Integrated Speed Load system". What??? ... how can a
drill bit have an "Integrated Speed Load system"? And what is it, for
that matter. Oh, I know ... it's a triumph of marketing over engineering.

That's marketspeak for "quick-change chuck style", Bob.
I call 'em "hex-shanked do-dads", myself.

Oh ... reading comprehension problem. I read "Integrated Speed Load
system" as something integral to the bit that had to do with the load on
the bit & bit speed! I should pay better attention.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

responding to
http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworkin...ss-494625-.htm

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

--I agree with Larry , heat is not the problem , vibration is , drilled a
car window once , great job , standing talking 5 mins later booooof
shattered , use a hand brace
IF IT'S NOT BROKE WORK AT IT UNTIL IT IS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Milady needs me for my shop skills. Don't happen that often.

She has old canning jars. The type with a glass lid and a little wire
arrangement to pull the glass lid tight. She wants to put small lights
inside and needs a hole drilled. I haven't measured up for sure, but
I'm thinking this stuff is 1/8 NPT size.

OK, how do I drill very old glass? I get several points off for every
one I break.

I still like the brass tube and abrasive powder method. If you take it slow, stresses are
much lower than some pointy hard thing.

Industrial diamond paste sounds like something that might hold promise.

It also costs an arm and a leg and takes a week per hole. Pass.
The arrowhead carbides are dynamite, Wes. Try it. You'll like it.

Valve grinding compound and a brass tube with a couple notches works
well and fairly fast.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl wrote:

[...]

I remember making lamps out of bottles when I was a kid. I don't
remember exactly how I made the holes but I seem to remember dropping a
ball bearing through a tube onto the bottle and the results were like a
bebe hole in a window. I do remember the way to cut the bottles in
half. Get a piece of cotton string and tie it around the bottle where
you want to cut. Soak the string in lighter fluid and light it up..
The bottle will break around where the string is.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 19:29:37 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On 03/13/2011 05:24 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
Milady needs me for my shop skills. Don't happen that often.

She has old canning jars. The type with a glass lid and a little wire
arrangement to pull the glass lid tight. She wants to put small lights
inside and needs a hole drilled. I haven't measured up for sure, but
I'm thinking this stuff is 1/8 NPT size.

OK, how do I drill very old glass? I get several points off for every
one I break.

Karl

Whatever else you do, experiment on coke bottles or mayonnaise jars or
whatever new glass things you have sitting around, before you go
thumping on SWMBO's nice old antique stuff.

Good advice.

Instead of putting light bulbs in there, wouldn't they look better with
canned apple slices, or cherries, or something?

You're not married???

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The 5-piece set I just bought at Ollie's (new discontinued product
surplus/salvage store) was $4.99 +tax, a Black & Decker set, although
without the hex shanks/quick change capability.

--
WB

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Carbide bits are available for under ten bucks and they work extremely
well for tile, glass (not tempered), and ceramics. No cooling
necessary at all. http://tinyurl.com/48c32js HF apparently doesn't
carry them any more.

Back up the drilling point so the glass doesn't break out the back
side. Cold clay works well to provide a solid backing. Use a light
touch and immediately stop the drill upon exiting. Quick-stopping
cordless drill motors work best for this.

--
You create your opportunities by asking for them.
-- Patty Hansen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
You don't understand the stakes here. I'm the one that will get the
heat treatment. Antique glass top canning jars are quite rare.

"... quite rare." In that case, don't drill at all. Make 2 capacitors
on the bottom of the jars by gluing aluminum foil on the inside &
outside. Connect the light(s) (LED's) between the capacitors on the
inside and drive the outside with a high frequency. I'll let you work
out the numbers.

Bob

Or, do like the chargers for electric toothbrushes & make core less
transformers with coils on the inside & outside of the jar. I like the
capacitors better.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 9:09*pm,
(bitsinbobs) wrote:
responding tohttp://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/drill-old-gass-494625-..htm

wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

IF IT'S NOT BROKE WORK AT IT UNTIL IT IS- Hide quoted text -

Not vibration in that case, US car side and rear windows are tempered
glass, I'm surprised the window lasted long enough for you to drill
through it. Usually tempered glass will crumble after the tensioned
surface is scratched. Stuff is very strong, but that's its weakness.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Snell wrote:
On 3/13/2011 8:48 AM, David Billington wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
Milady needs me for my shop skills. Don't happen that often.

She has old canning jars. The type with a glass lid and a little wire
arrangement to pull the glass lid tight. She wants to put small lights
inside and needs a hole drilled.

snip
The old way would be to use some copper or brass tube with an OD the
size of the hole you want. Make a dam round the hole with plasticene and
add some abrasive like valve grinding paste and a bit of water or oil,
Hold the tube in a drill press running at a slow speed and repeatadly
apply pressure and lift. The abrasive imbeds in the softer tube material
like a lap and grinds through the glass.

I did the exact same job a few years back, and used the technique
David describes. It works well, but you have to be patient. It was about
10 minutes of 'drilling' for each hole if I recall correctly.

FWIW, I read this exact thing some decades ago. Haven't tried it,
because I haven't had a need to drill holes in glass, but it's nice
to know it works. :-)

Cheers!
Rich