Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default drill old gass

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 17:51:41 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 19:21:20 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Milady needs me for my shop skills. Don't happen that often.

She has old canning jars. The type with a glass lid and a little wire
arrangement to pull the glass lid tight. She wants to put small lights
inside and needs a hole drilled. I haven't measured up for sure, but
I'm thinking this stuff is 1/8 NPT size.

OK, how do I drill very old glass? I get several points off for every
one I break.

I still like the brass tube and abrasive powder method. If you take it slow, stresses are
much lower than some pointy hard thing.

Industrial diamond paste sounds like something that might hold promise.

It also costs an arm and a leg and takes a week per hole. Pass.
The arrowhead carbides are dynamite, Wes. Try it. You'll like it.

Valve grinding compound and a brass tube with a couple notches works
well and fairly fast.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada