Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1996 chevy truck driveshaft removal question

I am having trouble removing the driveshat out of my 1996 chevy.l It
is one piece. The front is a yoke going into the transfer case, The
back is held in with bolts. manual says to remove bolts and drop
driveshaft but it wont budge. What am I doing wrong?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I am having trouble removing the driveshat out of my 1996 chevy.l It
is one piece. The front is a yoke going into the transfer case, The
back is held in with bolts. manual says to remove bolts and drop
driveshaft but it wont budge. What am I doing wrong?

It's gotta slide forward a bit to come outta the rear yoke . Be sure you've
got the parking brake set and the trans is in neutral - if there's any
tension on the splines it ain't gonna slide .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 12, 6:28*pm, "Snag" wrote:
stryped wrote:
I am having trouble removing the driveshat out of my 1996 chevy.l It
is one piece. The front is a yoke going into the transfer case, The
back is held in with bolts. manual says to remove bolts and drop
driveshaft but it wont budge. What am I doing wrong?

It's gotta slide forward a bit to come outta the rear yoke . Be sure you've
got the parking brake set and the trans is in neutral - if there's any
tension on the splines it ain't gonna slide .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

It is in neutral but I have the parking break off.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
On Mar 12, 6:28 pm, "Snag" wrote:
stryped wrote:
I am having trouble removing the driveshat out of my 1996 chevy.l It
is one piece. The front is a yoke going into the transfer case, The
back is held in with bolts. manual says to remove bolts and drop
driveshaft but it wont budge. What am I doing wrong?

It's gotta slide forward a bit to come outta the rear yoke . Be sure you've
got the parking brake set and the trans is in neutral - if there's any
tension on the splines it ain't gonna slide .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

It is in neutral but I have the parking break off.

Grab a BIG rubber mallet and HIT the damn thing. They tend to rust/stick
in place REALLY tight. If you have a long pry bar you can sometimes get
it between the yoke and the cross and pry it loose that way.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Jim is offline

stryped wrote:

I am having trouble removing the driveshat out of my 1996 chevy.l It
is one piece. The front is a yoke going into the transfer case, The
back is held in with bolts. manual says to remove bolts and drop
driveshaft but it wont budge. What am I doing wrong?

You may need a large screw driver or pry bar to pop it out of the rear
yoke. Careful when it comes out it could drop onto the ground and
damage the rear u joint. Of course if you're underneath and it lands
on your head that will probably keep the drive shaft from damage.

-jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 12, 8:15*pm, jim "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net wrote:
stryped wrote:

I am having trouble removing the driveshat out of my 1996 chevy.

On some of those the U-joint spiders don't just press out, you have to
melt the glue.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 12, 6:26*pm, stryped wrote:
I am having trouble removing the driveshat out of my 1996 chevy.l It
is one piece. The front is a yoke going into the transfer case, The
back is held in with bolts. manual says to remove bolts and drop
driveshaft but it wont budge. What am I doing wrong?

With my van, if the rear wheels aren't dangling, the drive shaft is
tight up against the tranny housing and can't be slid forward to clear
the yoke at the rear. Had it up on ramps all the way around when I
found that one out. Shifted over to jackstands supporting the body,
not the axle and had no more troubles. Also, if this is the first
time it's been out and you're in a high-salt area, you may want to hit
the yoke with a good penetrant, the caps may be rusted in.

Stan