Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Urgent help needed! 1996 Chevy Silverado ignition key wont turn. Mytruck is stranded.

I have a 1996 chevy 4x4 silverado. The key is ont he off position and
wont turn. I bought a new cylinder, but in order to replace the old
cylinder you have to be able to put it in the "run" position which I
cant do. I have it the column and steering wheel all to no avail.

Can anyone help me? I will have to drill it out I guess. If I cant get
it in run where exactly would I drill? Directly in the key hole?

I really appreciate any help. My truck is stuck at work and I plan on
leaving early in the morning to work on it.

Also , does anyone know if the air bag needs to be removed?

I really appreciate it!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I have a 1996 chevy 4x4 silverado. The key is ont he off position and
wont turn. I bought a new cylinder, but in order to replace the old
cylinder you have to be able to put it in the "run" position which I
cant do. I have it the column and steering wheel all to no avail.

Can anyone help me? I will have to drill it out I guess. If I cant get
it in run where exactly would I drill? Directly in the key hole?

I really appreciate any help. My truck is stuck at work and I plan on
leaving early in the morning to work on it.

Also , does anyone know if the air bag needs to be removed?

I really appreciate it!

The lock is probably under tension - try turning the steering wheel hard
left while turning the key . If that doesn't do it , try turning it hard
right while turning the key . If that doesn't do it , have it towed to a
competent mechanic .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a professional locksmith is worth his fee in this case - for $100 or less,
he or she will do it right - the money you save by guessing at it yourself
can easily be lost if you make a mistake.

if you really want to do it yourself, get the service manual from the dealer
and READ IT - I have the manual for my suburban and it is excellent - there
is about 2,000 pages of information, properly indexed with procedures for
everything.

What you are proposing to do is completely wrong, will greatly increase the
labor to fix the problem, and will guarantee that your truck needs to be
towed - additional expense.

"stryped" wrote in message
I have a 1996 chevy 4x4 silverado. The key is ont he off position and
wont turn. I bought a new cylinder, but in order to replace the old
cylinder you have to be able to put it in the "run" position which I
cant do. I have it the column and steering wheel all to no avail.

Can anyone help me? I will have to drill it out I guess. If I cant get
it in run where exactly would I drill? Directly in the key hole?

I really appreciate any help. My truck is stuck at work and I plan on
leaving early in the morning to work on it.

Also , does anyone know if the air bag needs to be removed?

I really appreciate it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote:

The lock is probably under tension - try turning the steering wheel hard
left while turning the key . If that doesn't do it , try turning it hard
right while turning the key . If that doesn't do it , have it towed to a
competent mechanic .

That is my first thought.

Other thoughts, try using the other key that came with the vehical. My normal key is
getting a bit touchy but the the other key on the fob I seldom use works just fine.

If no second key, take the VIN and your registration to a dealer and have them cut you a
new key from the codes.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 19, 9:55*pm, stryped wrote:
I have a 1996 chevy 4x4 silverado. The key is ont he off position and
wont turn. I bought a new cylinder, but in order to replace the old
cylinder you have to be able to put it in the "run" position which I
cant do. I have it the column and steering wheel all to no avail.

Can anyone help me? I will have to drill it out I guess. If I cant get
it in run where exactly would I drill? Directly in the key hole?

I really appreciate any help. My truck is stuck at work and I plan on
leaving early in the morning to work on it.

Also , does anyone know if the air bag needs to be removed?

I really appreciate it!

Of all the things you COULD do, I'm not sure if I could think of
anything worse than attacking the lock with a drill. You need one of:
1) Professional locksmith
2) Professional mechanic
3) Professional car thief

Your choice.

To try and do this yourself is a mistake.You might get lucky, or:
1) You can ruin the lock.
2) You can ruin other steering column components.
3)You can blow the air bag.

None of those options are cheap enough to make me want to try to do it
myself (were I in your shoes). This is one of those cases where paying
a pro is the way to go.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 May 2010 18:32:18 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"Snag" wrote:

The lock is probably under tension - try turning the steering wheel hard
left while turning the key . If that doesn't do it , try turning it hard
right while turning the key . If that doesn't do it , have it towed to a
competent mechanic .

That is my first thought.

Other thoughts, try using the other key that came with the vehical. My normal key is
getting a bit touchy but the the other key on the fob I seldom use works just fine.

If no second key, take the VIN and your registration to a dealer and have them cut you a
new key from the codes.

Wes

Along those lines, if you've worn out a couple keys in the ignition
lock, it's about time to replace the lock.

Pete Keillor