Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting fittings off copper pipe for scrap?

I'd recommend the sharp-disk type tubing cutter; there's no
mess, and it's a lot safer than power tools. You know what
I'm talking about, right? Looks like a C-clamp, presses a
groove around the pipe which then easily snaps in two?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:
I'd recommend the sharp-disk type tubing cutter; there's no
mess, and it's a lot safer than power tools. You know what
I'm talking about, right? Looks like a C-clamp, presses a
groove around the pipe which then easily snaps in two?

Like this?
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Quick-Ac...s/EN/index.htm

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:
I'd recommend the sharp-disk type tubing cutter; there's no
mess, and it's a lot safer than power tools. You know what
I'm talking about, right? Looks like a C-clamp, presses a
groove around the pipe which then easily snaps in two?

I have a couple of them, but the table saw will be so much easier and
faster.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 12:20:50 -0800, Winston
wrote:

whit3rd wrote:
I'd recommend the sharp-disk type tubing cutter; there's no
mess, and it's a lot safer than power tools. You know what
I'm talking about, right? Looks like a C-clamp, presses a
groove around the pipe which then easily snaps in two?

Like this?
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Quick-Ac...s/EN/index.htm

Holy ****, Batman! Get a load of this technological wonder:
"QUICKER CUT! Bigger, better knob allows you to cut tubing more
quickly!"

Shame on Ridgid for that kind of crap.

They win a Searz Horsepower Award.

--
Life is full of obstacle illusions.
-- Grant Frazier
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

All the junkyard guys I know save up enough to make it worthwhile, then
light up the blue wrench, and just lop 'em off fast.

Labor is worth something, and a hot torch is cheap labor.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
All the junkyard guys I know save up enough to make it worthwhile, then
light up the blue wrench, and just lop 'em off fast.

Labor is worth something, and a hot torch is cheap labor.

Habitat labor is volunteered. I.e., no cost. The torch, on the other,
must be bought and gas as well. Not cheap.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

whit3rd wrote:
I'd recommend the sharp-disk type tubing cutter; there's no
mess, and it's a lot safer than power tools. You know what
I'm talking about, right? Looks like a C-clamp, presses a
groove around the pipe which then easily snaps in two?

Like this?
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Quick-Ac...s/EN/index.htm

Holy ****, Batman! Get a load of this technological wonder:
"QUICKER CUT! Bigger, better knob allows you to cut tubing more
quickly!"

Shame on Ridgid for that kind of crap.

They win a Searz Horsepower Award.

Nah. The ratchet gizmo on that cutter allows you to
close on to the tubing RFN instead of endlessly
twisting the knob. That is a *nice* feature and
pretty darned zippy to use.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

whit3rd wrote:
I'd recommend the sharp-disk type tubing cutter; there's no
mess, and it's a lot safer than power tools. You know what
I'm talking about, right? Looks like a C-clamp, presses a
groove around the pipe which then easily snaps in two?

Like this?
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Quick-Ac...s/EN/index.htm

Holy ****, Batman! Get a load of this technological wonder:
"QUICKER CUT! Bigger, better knob allows you to cut tubing more
quickly!"

Shame on Ridgid for that kind of crap.

They win a Searz Horsepower Award.

Nah. The ratchet gizmo on that cutter allows you to
close on to the tubing RFN instead of endlessly
twisting the knob. That is a *nice* feature and
pretty darned zippy to use.

That little tidbit of info is not in the writeup on the site. Read
what's there and you'll agree, it's poor, cheesy, and bogus
advertising.

--
Life is full of obstacle illusions.
-- Grant Frazier
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

That little tidbit of info is not in the writeup on the site. Read
what's there and you'll agree, it's poor, cheesy, and bogus
advertising.

Good tool, though.

--Winston -- Thinks 'bogus advertising' is redundant
'Cheesy advertising' just makes him hungry
'management ethics' puzzles him greatly
'informed consent' makes him giggle
uncontrollably
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 22:19:32 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

That little tidbit of info is not in the writeup on the site. Read
what's there and you'll agree, it's poor, cheesy, and bogus
advertising.

Good tool, though.

OK. I found a teensy model which works just fine for me. Ten bucks
worth gets you an inch and a quarter of tool that cuts up to 1-1/8"
pipe in really tight areas. Y'know, like when you're hugging a toilet
to get down to where a couple inches of service pipe enters the floor
and you have a leaky supply valve. http://tinyurl.com/4jth24y

I found one which cuts up to 6" at a garage sale for a buck, so I'm
covered for larger stuff. giggle

--Winston -- Thinks 'bogus advertising' is redundant
'Cheesy advertising' just makes him hungry
'management ethics' puzzles him greatly
'informed consent' makes him giggle
uncontrollably

How do "military intelligence" and "homeland security" "congressional
oversight" strike ya?

--
Life is full of obstacle illusions.
-- Grant Frazier

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

OK. I found a teensy model which works just fine for me. Ten bucks
worth gets you an inch and a quarter of tool that cuts up to 1-1/8"
pipe in really tight areas.
Y'know, like when you're hugging a toilet
to get down to where a couple inches of service pipe enters the floor
and you have a leaky supply valve. http://tinyurl.com/4jth24y

I've got one of those. Mine needs the cutter wheel sharpened though.

How am I going to spend $300 of time fixing a $7.00 tool today?

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Pro...x?SKU=2027282&

Nevermind!

I found one which cuts up to 6" at a garage sale for a buck, so I'm
covered for larger stuff.giggle

Like my 24" pipe wrench. (Your friends *really* know you when
they give you a big pipe wrench.)

--Winston