Posted to alt.home.repair

Default soldering two copper fittings on a very short length of pipe

I need to solder two copper fittings to a very short length of 1/2"
pipe.

When I put both fittings on the pipe, then the amount of pipe showing
between them is about 1/8" inch.

I first soldered on one fitting and then tried to attach the second.
My fear, though, is that I am ruining the first joint when I solder
the second. Is this a concern? In this situation should I try to
solder both joints at the same time or do them separately?

Thanks,

mh

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mike wrote:
I first soldered on one fitting and then tried to attach the second.
My fear, though, is that I am ruining the first joint when I solder
the second. Is this a concern?

Possibly, but not necessarily...

... In this situation should I try to
solder both joints at the same time ...

At that close proximity, you'll nearly have the other hot at the time
you do the first, so may as well take advantage of it and go on...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
I need to solder two copper fittings to a very short length of 1/2"
pipe.

When I put both fittings on the pipe, then the amount of pipe showing
between them is about 1/8" inch.

I first soldered on one fitting and then tried to attach the second.
My fear, though, is that I am ruining the first joint when I solder
the second. Is this a concern? In this situation should I try to
solder both joints at the same time or do them separately?

Thanks,

mh

DO them both at once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
I need to solder two copper fittings to a very short length of 1/2"
pipe.

When I put both fittings on the pipe, then the amount of pipe showing
between them is about 1/8" inch.

I first soldered on one fitting and then tried to attach the second.
My fear, though, is that I am ruining the first joint when I solder
the second. Is this a concern? In this situation should I try to
solder both joints at the same time or do them separately?

Thanks,

mh

Heat it up and get both. Don't apply any solder until it will melt a little
in the gap. Then heat for another 5-10 seconds, withdraw heat, apply solder
and let it suck it up. Do not apply any more heat. Make a stand or
something for it to rest on that will not burn and that will hold it in
line.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Solder both at the same time. It's the only way to go.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus