Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default how to make motorcycle mudguards

G'Day,

does anyone here have knowledge, articles, experience, etc to cover how
metal motorcycle mudguards are made?

I suspect it involves a number of matched former rollers in a frame
which allows the roller pairs to be adjusted much like the rollers in a
sliproll.

The guards we're interested in are standard C section guards in metal
which are shaped into a circular shape for at least 270 degrees.

If anyone has any information (links, article references, etc) which can
help us make up a machine to make some guards, please help since the
"local" guy who used to make them for the restoration hobbyists is so
overworked that deadlines are being dropped.

Thanks in Advance

Des
--
remove the German anti-spam device before replying
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 16:32:11 +0800, Des Bromilow
wrote:

G'Day,

does anyone here have knowledge, articles, experience, etc to cover how
metal motorcycle mudguards are made?

I suspect it involves a number of matched former rollers in a frame
which allows the roller pairs to be adjusted much like the rollers in a
sliproll.

The guards we're interested in are standard C section guards in metal
which are shaped into a circular shape for at least 270 degrees.

If anyone has any information (links, article references, etc) which can
help us make up a machine to make some guards, please help since the
"local" guy who used to make them for the restoration hobbyists is so
overworked that deadlines are being dropped.

Des, I think you want to google up "english wheel".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwGrXGR5TBY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLhUG...eature=related

--
Life is full of little surprises.
--Pandora
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Des Bromilow wrote:

does anyone here have knowledge, articles, experience, etc to cover how
metal motorcycle mudguards are made?

help us make up a machine to make some guards, please help since the
"local" guy who used to make them for the restoration hobbyists is so
overworked that deadlines are being dropped.

Maybe this "'local' guy" "[has] the knowledge..."; why haven't you asked
him?

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think the parts you're referring to are commonly known throughout much of
the rest of the world, as fenders.

I think you may have better luck finding sources, techniques etc, by
searching for them with terms such as: motorcycle fender fabrication or
forming.. and possibly the word custom.

--
WB

"Des Bromilow" wrote in message
G'Day,

does anyone here have knowledge, articles, experience, etc to cover how
metal motorcycle mudguards are made?

I suspect it involves a number of matched former rollers in a frame which
allows the roller pairs to be adjusted much like the rollers in a
sliproll.

The guards we're interested in are standard C section guards in metal
which are shaped into a circular shape for at least 270 degrees.

If anyone has any information (links, article references, etc) which can
help us make up a machine to make some guards, please help since the
"local" guy who used to make them for the restoration hobbyists is so
overworked that deadlines are being dropped.

Thanks in Advance

Des
--
remove the German anti-spam device before replying

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/06/2011 12:32 AM, Des Bromilow wrote:
G'Day,

does anyone here have knowledge, articles, experience, etc to cover how
metal motorcycle mudguards are made?

I suspect it involves a number of matched former rollers in a frame
which allows the roller pairs to be adjusted much like the rollers in a
sliproll.

The guards we're interested in are standard C section guards in metal
which are shaped into a circular shape for at least 270 degrees.

If anyone has any information (links, article references, etc) which can
help us make up a machine to make some guards, please help since the
"local" guy who used to make them for the restoration hobbyists is so
overworked that deadlines are being dropped.

There's more than one way to skin that cat. I've just got book
learning, so I'm not going to bloviate too much -- but if you read this
book, you can bloviate from the same knowledge base as me:

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/B..._Ron_Fournier#

It's "Sheet Metal Handbook" by Ron Fournier, published by HP books.
Using an english wheel is one of the methods that they show, although
there are other ways of planishing metal. I suspect that it's a
must-read for you, even if you don't directly use the knowledge you find
in it.

The book is about how to do the job almost entirely by hand -- if you
want a machine like a continuous gutter machine, that has a strip of
sheet going in one end, and curled-up mudguard blanks coming out the
other, then this book will provide inspiration but not much design help.
Get it anyway.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/6/2011 7:32 PM, Des Bromilow wrote:

does anyone here have knowledge, articles, experience, etc to cover how
metal motorcycle mudguards are made?

I met a man who made aluminium mudguards (fenders) for Morgan 3 wheeler
cyclecars. They are pretty much like motorcycles'. He modified a big old
hand-operated cast iron clothes mangler, replacing the cylindrical
rollers with specially shaped ones turned from wood.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
I think the parts you're referring to are commonly known throughout much
of the rest of the world, as fenders.

I think you may have better luck finding sources, techniques etc, by
searching for them with terms such as: motorcycle fender fabrication or
forming.. and possibly the word custom.

Americans seem to think they are they rest of the world but fenders
=America, rest of the world= mudguards (English speaking world)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
Ooohhhh OK... you meant to say mudflap.

That's just a floppy add-on piece for a fender.

I put mudflaps on my last truck, but only on the front, to keep the
doors clean.