Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default how to make motorcycle mudguards

On 03/06/2011 12:32 AM, Des Bromilow wrote:
G'Day,

does anyone here have knowledge, articles, experience, etc to cover how
metal motorcycle mudguards are made?

I suspect it involves a number of matched former rollers in a frame
which allows the roller pairs to be adjusted much like the rollers in a
sliproll.

The guards we're interested in are standard C section guards in metal
which are shaped into a circular shape for at least 270 degrees.

If anyone has any information (links, article references, etc) which can
help us make up a machine to make some guards, please help since the
"local" guy who used to make them for the restoration hobbyists is so
overworked that deadlines are being dropped.

There's more than one way to skin that cat. I've just got book
learning, so I'm not going to bloviate too much -- but if you read this
book, you can bloviate from the same knowledge base as me:

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/B..._Ron_Fournier#

It's "Sheet Metal Handbook" by Ron Fournier, published by HP books.
Using an english wheel is one of the methods that they show, although
there are other ways of planishing metal. I suspect that it's a
must-read for you, even if you don't directly use the knowledge you find
in it.

The book is about how to do the job almost entirely by hand -- if you
want a machine like a continuous gutter machine, that has a strip of
sheet going in one end, and curled-up mudguard blanks coming out the
other, then this book will provide inspiration but not much design help.
Get it anyway.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services