Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default goofy thread pitch

I just came across a shotgun bore brush package that states the thread for
the rod is 5/16-27.

Who the hell came up with 27 TPI? There's got to be a great story for
that- anybody know it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/05/2011 08:45 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
I just came across a shotgun bore brush package that states the thread for
the rod is 5/16-27.

Who the hell came up with 27 TPI? There's got to be a great story for
that- anybody know it?

Maybe there was some popular lathe in 1901 that had change gears that
made it easy to get 27 TPI.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 04:45:34 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

I just came across a shotgun bore brush package that states the thread for
the rod is 5/16-27.

Who the hell came up with 27 TPI? There's got to be a great story for
that- anybody know it?

That's a pipe thread. I've also wondered how that came to be. Another
wierdo is the thread used on garden hoses and sillcocks, 1-1/16 x
11.5 TPI. My lathe can do both of these threads.

OT goofy deer Karl Townsend Metalworking 5 March 28th 09 01:38 PM
screw thread pitch mark Woodworking 1 February 4th 06 02:52 PM
Questions regarding thread diameter and pitch for special design case with limited thread length John2005 Metalworking 14 January 21st 06 04:28 AM
Nova cast iron legs and thread pitch Andrew Barss Woodturning 8 December 15th 04 04:57 AM
Thread pitch for microphone stand connectors NOPOL Wild Bill Metalworking 0 December 2nd 04 09:28 PM