Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-Union Business

In New York City's funny math, you get only one teacher for the price of
two.

The Department of Education pays about 1,500 teachers for time they spend on
union activities -- and pays other teachers to replace them in the
classroom.

It's a sweetheart deal that costs taxpayers an extra $9 million a year to
pay fill-ins for instructors who are sprung -- at full pay -- to carry out
responsibilities for the United Federation of Teachers.

English teacher Tom Dromgoole, for instance, collects top teacher pay,
$100,049 a year, from the DOE for his slot at Leadership and Public Service
HS in downtown Manhattan. But he is relieved for most of the day to serve as
a UFT high school rep. The UFT supplements his salary by $50,461, records
show.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/27...missing-class/

Sounds like tony soprano runs that union.

Best Regards

Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message ...
[...]

But think of the phenomenal education that public school kids are getting! Our
students are rated in the top 200 countries in the whole world! Our future leaders
are in good hands.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

The average teacher in the US earns $47,602; in NYC, it's $71,470. Half of
the difference is COL, and the other half is combat pay. g

What would you do to improve education, Tom?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote

But think of the phenomenal education that public school kids are getting!
Our students are rated in the top 200 countries in the whole world! Our
future leaders are in good hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

According to this, 25% of Indian (not American Indian) children are honor
students, which is more children than are in our entire school system. Lots
of interesting things in there, probably some are Snopes candidates, but
hey, I just post them.

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

Give students better parents.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote

But think of the phenomenal education that public school kids are getting! Our
students are rated in the top 200 countries in the whole world! Our future leaders
are in good hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

According to this, 25% of Indian (not American Indian) children are honor students,
which is more children than are in our entire school system. Lots of interesting
things in there, probably some are Snopes candidates, but hey, I just post them.

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Different value system?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

Aha! There's a man who understands the most important reality of all about
today's education.

Here's a relatively minor one: The US has scored pretty low in international
tests (although there are some good arguments that, corrected for
demographics, we actually do quite well). I'll accept that we're scoring
well below the average for developed Western countries, let alone Asia.

The OECD's recent comparison put us at 19th among OECD countries. Question:
Of the 18 who scored above us, how many countries have local school boards?

I think you can guess. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote

But think of the phenomenal education that public school kids are
getting! Our students are rated in the top 200 countries in the whole
world! Our future leaders are in good hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

According to this, 25% of Indian (not American Indian) children are honor
students, which is more children than are in our entire school system.
Lots of interesting things in there, probably some are Snopes candidates,
but hey, I just post them.

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Different value system?

Well, there's that. And kids who know if they don't learn something and
earn a living, there's no chance of living in Mom and Dad's basement brewing
beer, playing video games, and chillin'.

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:40:56 -0500, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote

But think of the phenomenal education that public school kids are getting! Our
students are rated in the top 200 countries in the whole world! Our future leaders
are in good hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

According to this, 25% of Indian (not American Indian) children are honor students,
which is more children than are in our entire school system. Lots of interesting
things in there, probably some are Snopes candidates, but hey, I just post them.

Different value system?

Judging by at least half the calls to my business phones, these
students have bright new futures in telemarketing and/or computer
programming/website design!

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

Does anybody spend more money per student?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote

[...]

We made huge batches of wine in our dorm rooms...stunk like hell! It was pretty
good...after the first pint or two.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

PPP or exchange rates? As a percentage of GDP? Normalized by percentage of
school-age citizens? g

Our expenditure/GDP is exactly the same as for developed European countries
(EU19) on the average -- lower than the UK, lower than Portugal,, New
Zealand, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland. In other words, we spend slightly
less for primary and secondary education, as a percentage of individual
incomes, than those countries do. Since our percentage of the population
that is of school age is higher than most of those countries, the percentage
of GDP that we spend actually is less per student than the percentage of GDP
would imply.

If you want PPP, etc., you're in for it. There are several ways of
calculating PPP. You can find exchange rates without much trouble. But
here's something with which you can entertain yourself for a while. It's in
Excel, so you can normalize for percentage of populations in school, if you
want:

http://statlinks.oecdcode.org/962010071P1G012.XLS

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/28/2011 5:40 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:

wrote in message

"Tom wrote

But think of the phenomenal education that public school kids are getting! Our
students are rated in the top 200 countries in the whole world! Our future leaders
are in good hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

According to this, 25% of Indian (not American Indian) children are honor students,
which is more children than are in our entire school system. Lots of interesting
things in there, probably some are Snopes candidates, but hey, I just post them.

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Different value system?

Fewer Televisions?

Carla

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

NO **** !!! My wife is a teacher , and the students that are the biggest
problem also have parents that don't discipline and support the kids , plus
they often blame the teacher for their kids problems .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 10:26*pm, "azotic" wrote:
In New York City's funny math, you get only one teacher for the price of
two.

Sounds like bull**** to me - anyone bothered to check the source for
this? - (or even do basic math) how come you lot are so gullible?

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
On Feb 28, 10:26 pm, "azotic" wrote:
In New York City's funny math, you get only one teacher for the price of
two.

Sounds like bull**** to me - anyone bothered to check the source for
this? - (or even do basic math) how come you lot are so gullible?

Andrew VK3BFA.

A life spent sucking on Mountain Dew.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 7:27*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
On Feb 28, 10:26*pm, "azotic" wrote:

In New York City's funny math, you get only one teacher for the price of
two.

Sounds like *bull**** to me - anyone bothered to check the source for
this? - (or even do basic math) how come you lot are so gullible?

Andrew VK3BFA.

I assume you read source referenced. Why don't you try to check the
source?

Union contracts are whatever is agreed to. I have worked at sites
where workers did union business during work hours and were paid by
the company for the time they used on union business. But the time
the workers spent on union business was fairly small. Maybe a couple
of hours going to an arbitration once a week.

It does sound like only teaching one class and still getting normal
pay and benefits is excessive.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
On Feb 28, 10:26 pm, "azotic" wrote:
In New York City's funny math, you get only one teacher for the price of
two.

Sounds like bull**** to me - anyone bothered to check the source for
this? - (or even do basic math) how come you lot are so gullible?

Andrew VK3BFA.

You may not like it but it's true. Happens in many other places as well.
All falls under the National Labor Relations Board Equality Rule.

It is also all public records. However it isn't just the UFT that gets
these perks. They also apply to the NYPD, NYFD, MTA, Sanitation and the
others.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 11:05*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 2, 7:27*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

On Feb 28, 10:26*pm, "azotic" wrote:

In New York City's funny math, you get only one teacher for the price of
two.

Sounds like *bull**** to me - anyone bothered to check the source for
this? - (or even do basic math) how come you lot are so gullible?

Andrew VK3BFA.

I assume you read source referenced. *Why don't you try to check the
source?

Thats what worries me - the source. Fox news? - bit of a credibility problem there. Its news in 30 second grabs, no right of reply, no way to correct a sound grab out of context.

(BTW - tried to read Ayan Rand(sp) but she is such a crappy boring
writer with cardboard cutout characters I threw it across the room
after one chapter....sigh....I know there is a great temptation in
humanity to look for a "simple" explanation of Life, the Universe, and
Everything, but it aint gonna happen. But some bull**** artist,
pushing Gawd knows what agenda, will happily do it for you)

It does sound like *only teaching one class and still getting normal
pay and benefits is excessive.

Agree totally - but doesn't it sound just plain ludicrous that such a
thing could happen in 2011? - hello guys, times are tough. Jobs like
that ceased to exist 20 years ago anyway. Does it not sound a bit
fishy? - does it not clash with the everyday, workaday world around
you?

Blah....blah....blah.....the same old bull****, the same old scare/
outrage stories - havent you noticed their cyclical?

Andrew VK3BFA.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 11:05 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 2, 7:27 am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

On Feb 28, 10:26 pm, "azotic" wrote:

In New York City's funny math, you get only one teacher for the price
of
two.

Sounds like bull**** to me - anyone bothered to check the source for
this? - (or even do basic math) how come you lot are so gullible?

Andrew VK3BFA.

I assume you read source referenced. Why don't you try to check the
source?

Thats what worries me - the source. Fox news? - bit of a credibility
problem there. Its news in 30 second grabs, no right of reply, no way to
correct a sound grab out of context.

Don't blame us. You're the ones who gave us Rupert Murdoch.

(BTW - tried to read Ayan Rand(sp) but she is such a crappy boring
writer with cardboard cutout characters I threw it across the room
after one chapter....sigh....

Good for you. You have a good critical eye. In the world of writing
vertebrates, Ayn Rand was a toad. d8-)

Here's a frightening thought: Alan Greenspan was a huge fan of Ayn Rand, and
practically drooled on her when he met her. To me, this explains a lot.

I know there is a great temptation in
humanity to look for a "simple" explanation of Life, the Universe, and
Everything, but it aint gonna happen. But some bull**** artist,
pushing Gawd knows what agenda, will happily do it for you)

It does sound like only teaching one class and still getting normal
pay and benefits is excessive.

Agree totally - but doesn't it sound just plain ludicrous that such a
thing could happen in 2011? - hello guys, times are tough. Jobs like
that ceased to exist 20 years ago anyway. Does it not sound a bit
fishy? - does it not clash with the everyday, workaday world around
you?

Blah....blah....blah.....the same old bull****, the same old scare/
outrage stories - havent you noticed their cyclical?

Andrew VK3BFA.

Some parts of our economy operate around 30 years behind the times, and are
based on a different set of values than the race-to-the-bottom globalization
principles that the rest of us are living with today. That's not such a bad
thing -- it forces us to examine what's going on with the rest of the
economy and what we've forfeited along the way. And that's not pretty.
Sometimes it seems like we've decided to enslave ourselves to the very
forces we unleashed without thinking.

To paraphrase a famous Supreme Court Justice, who was talking about the US
Constitution, it shouldn't be a suicide pact. Neither should the economy.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 4, 3:58 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message

Don't blame us. You're the ones who gave us Rupert Murdoch.

Sorry bout that - lets face it, America was the natural place for a
robber baron capitalist of the Old School.

He was doing just fine in the UK and Australia. I would have been happy to
leave him there, publishing sleazy tabloids with centerfolds of structurally
engineered boobs. d8-)

Here in OZ, we thought it
unhealthy if there was only.....ONE...news outfit, so Rupert moved
(now you lot have got him, poor *******s)

If you take him back, we'll give you Roger Ailes as a bonus...

(BTW - tried to read Ayan Rand(sp) but she is such a crappy boring
writer with cardboard cutout characters I threw it across the room
after one chapter....sigh....

Good for you. You have a good critical eye. In the world of writing
vertebrates, Ayn Rand was a toad. d8-)

Yes, it stuns me how people can fall for such simplistic dogma - and
badly written dogma at that - she was a failed Hollywood scriptwriter,
it shows, alas...

It doesn't stun me. We have a very loony right, and they'll make wimpering,
orgiastic sounds if you find their brain and blow warm smoke into it.

But we do similar things here -our premier literature award is the
Miles Franklin, usually make a reasonable (and readable) choice. A few
years back they gave it to this woman who claimed it was Holocaust
memoirs (or similar) total bull**** and she got away with it! - But
only when someone actually bothered to check rather than believe the
bull****, unquestioningly.
Oh, and apply the same methodology to the loony left as well - some of
them are well and truly off with the fairies - but surely, is it THAT
hard to see blatant bull****? , whoever spouts it?

Our loony left has atrophied over the past few decades. Lacking a large,
real, and visible foil for their lunacy, the right has taken to making stuff
up and throwing centrists out of political office.

It's not pretty.

Some parts of our economy operate around 30 years behind the times, and
are
based on a different set of values than the race-to-the-bottom
globalization
principles that the rest of us are living with today. That's not such a
bad
thing -- it forces us to examine what's going on with the rest of the
economy and what we've forfeited along the way. And that's not pretty.
Sometimes it seems like we've decided to enslave ourselves to the very
forces we unleashed without thinking.

Well, yes - but not when its held up as some everyday common
occurrence, same as new billionaires popping up. And I am old enough
to be a Old Fart, a union man, and a working man could buy a house and
raise a family - with some dignity. So, why are people getting
outraged when they read of "someone" better off? - is it an inkling,
suppressed memory, of how that used to be the norm?

In our case, it's a spread between the rich and the middle class that's
exceeding the intolerable situation of the Gilded Age. It's not the wealth
itself that bothers many of us; it's the political, self-perpetuating power
that comes with it. We're on our way to becoming a classic autocracy.

When you MADE something, and you could say that 20 years later cause
it was still going, a bit of Pride its called. And if you were in the
metal trades (indeed, most trades) then you WILL be carrying some
injuries from a lifetime of WORKING. Of course you fought with the
bosses - hey, we are not here to be your servants, we are skilled
artisans worthy of our hire - that seems to be a dirty word now....
How long since any Joe Worker did that? - and not the dilettante
hobbyists and nutters hanging around here, getting hopelessly confused
about which way is up, critical thought and grade school maths
suspended as the Right and Left fight it out. Ideology Rules, OK. They
were **** jobs, dirty, uncomfortable, dangerous - we were factory
fodder, now we are acting like a bunch of sheep without even the
ability to make a decent, honest living.

RANT OFF.

Andrew VK3BFA.

To paraphrase a famous Supreme Court Justice, who was talking about the US
Constitution, it shouldn't be a suicide pact. Neither should the economy.

--
Ed Huntress

Fair enough. If it were only that simple - X billion people on the
planet, and they all want to do things THEIR way.....sigh.....we are
stuffed......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.a...81474979118188

Woosy unions. I would have held out for Starbucks Italian Blend, Cafe
Verona, or Espresso, and Vanilla Caramel creamer. They could easily afford
it. I bet a dollar to a donut hold that only one out of every ten pounds of
coffee, and one out of every ten gallons of milk actually make it to the
coffee kiosk at work, but somehow mysteriously disappearing in transit.

What about the sugar? I hear no mention of the sugar. Coffee isn't coffee
without copious amounts of sugar. Someone dropped the bargaining ball. If
they have to provide coffee and "milk", where's the sugar?

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

What about the sugar? I hear no mention of the sugar. Coffee isn't
coffee
without copious amounts of sugar.

Boy, you've got a weird definition of coffee. Real men drink real coffee.
Coffee with sugar is tantamount to candy. ;-)

To lighten the subject a bit, have you ever had a cup of fresh black coffee
out in the sunlight? It looks just exactly like that brown goo that you
drain out of your crankcase when you need an oil change. (I'm assuming it
has something to do with backscatter.)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 22:00:59 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

What about the sugar? I hear no mention of the sugar. Coffee isn't
coffee
without copious amounts of sugar.

Boy, you've got a weird definition of coffee. Real men drink real coffee.
Coffee with sugar is tantamount to candy. ;-)

I like my coffee like my women: Hot, sweet, and creamy.
Just not too sweet. 2/3 of a packet of pink is just right with a nice
STRONG cuppa. Weak coffee is for wusses.

To lighten the subject a bit, have you ever had a cup of fresh black coffee
out in the sunlight? It looks just exactly like that brown goo that you
drain out of your crankcase when you need an oil change. (I'm assuming it
has something to do with backscatter.)

It tastes much like that, too. Sweetener and cream bring out the true
flavor of both coffee and tea. Give any kid who hasn't tasted coffee
a sip of black and his face will immediately go into horror. He will
also look for a place he can spit.

--
Life is full of little surprises.
--Pandora
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.a...81474979118188

Woosy unions. I would have held out for Starbucks Italian Blend, Cafe
Verona, or Espresso, and Vanilla Caramel creamer. They could easily
afford it. I bet a dollar to a donut hold that only one out of every ten
pounds of coffee, and one out of every ten gallons of milk actually make
it to the coffee kiosk at work, but somehow mysteriously disappearing in
transit.

What about the sugar? I hear no mention of the sugar. Coffee isn't
coffee without copious amounts of sugar. Someone dropped the bargaining
ball. If they have to provide coffee and "milk", where's the sugar?

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Chicago cops get free doughnuts with thier coffee.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Give any kid who hasn't tasted coffee
a sip of black and his face will immediately go into horror. He will
also look for a place he can spit.

Exactly my point. Children like candy; Real Men drink Real Coffee. ;-)

Personally, I like mine fortified with a generous dollop of Irish (or
whatever alcoholic flavorant is at hand), which children aren't even
allowed to have! ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 22:00:59 -0800, Rich Grise

To lighten the subject a bit, have you ever had a cup of fresh black
coffee out in the sunlight? It looks just exactly like that brown goo that
you drain out of your crankcase when you need an oil change. (I'm assuming
it has something to do with backscatter.)

It tastes much like that, too.

I really can't speak at this - I've never tasted crankcase sludge. ;-P

(This can be an especially handy point when someone claims something
"tastes like ****..." ;-) )

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Rich Grise wrote:
[...]
(This can be an especially handy point when someone claims something
"tastes like ****..." ;-) )

My ex-wife once said that about something I fixed for dinner. Much later, when
I related this to my father (a clinical social worker), he asked me how I
responded. Ummm, Dad, I'm afraid it wasn't very mature... So what did you
say?? he repeated.

I told him that I said to her, "Well, **** on you anyway!"

The faintest trace of a smile briefly flickered across his face, and he said,
deadpan, "Professionally speaking, that was an entirely appropriate response."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 08:28:49 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

wrote:

To lighten the subject a bit, have you ever had a cup of fresh black coffee
out in the sunlight? It looks just exactly like that brown goo that you
drain out of your crankcase when you need an oil change. (I'm assuming it
has something to do with backscatter.)

I just looked at my coffee in the sun. It looks
the same as in room lighting; completely opaque.
I assume if you're getting backscatter, it's because
you're making it too weak.

Not I. Mine can float horseshoes, let alone standing up spoons.

Check with a bright, rising sun at an angle.

Brown goo? Really?

Any more, my coffee tastes a whole lot like tea, but I don't ache as
much every day now. sigh

It tastes much like that, too. Sweetener and cream bring out the true
flavor of both coffee and tea. Give any kid who hasn't tasted coffee
a sip of black and his face will immediately go into horror. He will
also look for a place he can spit.

That's true for a limited value of "any kid."
I knew a 2 yr old who not only drank black coffee,
but straight espresso shots... and her face lit up.

I'd be willing to bet that the -first- time, she had a totally
different expression on her face. (This for 99.99% of kids.)