Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal, US history & electronics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrr6lZBMuQ
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrr6lZBMuQ

excellent video!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrr6lZBMuQ

excellent video!

No comment on the video, but sorry to dissent, I recall listening to VOA as
an unsophisticated teenager in England in the 1960s, and considering it to
be laughable; no less so than the Eastern Bloc broadcasts. I didn't have
much access to SW kit in those days, so was probably listening to MW
broadcasts after dark, perhaps from Germany.

I'm not saying that the BBC World Service doesn't broadcast propaganda, but
at least it's a bit more subtle......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrr6lZBMuQ

excellent video!

No comment on the video, but sorry to dissent, I recall listening to VOA as
an unsophisticated teenager in England in the 1960s, and considering it to
be laughable; no less so than the Eastern Bloc broadcasts. I didn't have
much access to SW kit in those days, so was probably listening to MW
broadcasts after dark, perhaps from Germany.

What was laughable?

I'm not saying that the BBC World Service doesn't broadcast propaganda, but
at least it's a bit more subtle......

Yet British troops were on US TV at the start of Iraq II, stating
that they didn't trust the BBC and that they were watching US news
services aboard their ships via satellite feeds.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrr6lZBMuQ

excellent video!

No comment on the video, but sorry to dissent, I recall listening to VOA
as an unsophisticated teenager in England in the 1960s, and considering
it to be laughable; no less so than the Eastern Bloc broadcasts. I
didn't have much access to SW kit in those days, so was probably
listening to MW broadcasts after dark, perhaps from Germany.

I'm not saying that the BBC World Service doesn't broadcast propaganda,
but at least it's a bit more subtle......

I listened to most all of the shortwave broadcasts from all over the
globe. It was very interesting to see how each nation would have a
completely different report on the happenings of the day. BBC,
Reuters, VOA, radio Moscow, Radio Netherlands, Berlin Germany, and a
bunch of others. I had a FRR-24 and a FRR--33 as well as a couple of
28 KSR's and ASR's that I used.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrr6lZBMuQ

excellent video!

No comment on the video, but sorry to dissent, I recall listening to VOA as
an unsophisticated teenager in England in the 1960s, and considering it to
be laughable; no less so than the Eastern Bloc broadcasts. I didn't have
much access to SW kit in those days, so was probably listening to MW
broadcasts after dark, perhaps from Germany.

I'm not saying that the BBC World Service doesn't broadcast propaganda, but
at least it's a bit more subtle......

Given that the VOA was designed from the start to "bring the truth" to
countries not in the US sphere it seems logical to assume that it
was/is all propaganda.

By the way, I notice that the Beeb is no longer emphasizing the
"proper British accent", I heard a girl disk jockey on the overseas
broadcast that spoke with such a cockney accent that I needed a
translator :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

A few years before the wall came down, I went on a study trip to
Eastern Europe with a bunch of diplomats etc. and we had a chance to
talk with dissidents etc. They also felt that the BBC was credible and
the VOA was not. Maybe that was the purpose of the VOA- to make the
BBC sound credible? ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you are right. Listening to the recounting of football scores
between the U of Podunk and the Nowhere Technical collage is something
that, of course, all foreigners are thrilled to hear.

As for the Beeb, I've noticed a lowering, dumbing down, of content.
The Cockney DJ is a case in point. Nothing wrong with ethnic or
regional accents but if one could speak English one could understand
the "old" BBC. Now, I'm not so sure :-)