Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Metal, US history & electronics!

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 08:43:45 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 19:36:15 +0700, the renowned john B.
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:16:12 -0000, "newshound"
wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrr6lZBMuQ

excellent video!

No comment on the video, but sorry to dissent, I recall listening to VOA as
an unsophisticated teenager in England in the 1960s, and considering it to
be laughable; no less so than the Eastern Bloc broadcasts. I didn't have
much access to SW kit in those days, so was probably listening to MW
broadcasts after dark, perhaps from Germany.

I'm not saying that the BBC World Service doesn't broadcast propaganda, but
at least it's a bit more subtle......

Given that the VOA was designed from the start to "bring the truth" to
countries not in the US sphere it seems logical to assume that it
was/is all propaganda.

By the way, I notice that the Beeb is no longer emphasizing the
"proper British accent", I heard a girl disk jockey on the overseas
broadcast that spoke with such a cockney accent that I needed a
translator :-)

A few years before the wall came down, I went on a study trip to
Eastern Europe with a bunch of diplomats etc. and we had a chance to
talk with dissidents etc. They also felt that the BBC was credible and
the VOA was not. Maybe that was the purpose of the VOA- to make the
BBC sound credible? ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Perhaps you are right. Listening to the recounting of football scores
between the U of Podunk and the Nowhere Technical collage is something
that, of course, all foreigners are thrilled to hear.

As for the Beeb, I've noticed a lowering, dumbing down, of content.
The Cockney DJ is a case in point. Nothing wrong with ethnic or
regional accents but if one could speak English one could understand
the "old" BBC. Now, I'm not so sure :-)