Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default teranews question

I got the $4 free news service from teranews, but can't for the life of me
get it to working. What am I missing here? I e mailed them, and checked
all the things they said to do, but every time I try to get it to work, it
says connection with server terminated. They have no 800#. What other free
or cheap Usenet server should I get?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

I got the $4 free news service from teranews, but can't for the life of me
get it to working. What am I missing here? I e mailed them, and checked
all the things they said to do, but every time I try to get it to work, it
says connection with server terminated. They have no 800#. What other free
or cheap Usenet server should I get?

Steve

Others use them, so certainly their service works. Changing to a
different provider isn't likely to resolve your configuration issue. You
need to find someone here who uses teranews and the same newsreader who
can walk you through the settings.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I got the $4 free news service from teranews, but can't for the life
of me get it to working. What am I missing here? I e mailed them,
and checked all the things they said to do, but every time I try to
get it to work, it says connection with server terminated. They have
no 800#. What other free or cheap Usenet server should I get?

Steve

What newsreader are you using ? I use tera , and occasionally it will drop
me , but reconnects right away . At one time there was quite a lag between
posting and posts showing up on my newsreader (Outhouse Express) , but they
show up almost instantly now . Well , except at rec.guns , where most of my
posts *never* show up ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I got the $4 free news service from teranews, but can't for the life
of me get it to working. What am I missing here? I e mailed them,
and checked all the things they said to do, but every time I try to
get it to work, it says connection with server terminated. They have
no 800#. What other free or cheap Usenet server should I get?

Steve

What newsreader are you using ? I use tera , and occasionally it will
drop me , but reconnects right away . At one time there was quite a lag
between posting and posts showing up on my newsreader (Outhouse Express) ,
but they show up almost instantly now . Well , except at rec.guns , where
most of my posts *never* show up ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Using OE. Guess I need to get my geek over here and configure me something
into the 21st century. Had to go back to my original isp, which is a LAN
cable switch to the other router. Until Feb. 28, when it will die.
teranews customer service isn't the best. And I've been sick with the crud
for four days. There is just too much to learn, and I am busy doing
hundreds of other things.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I got the $4 free news service from teranews, but can't for the life of me
get it to working. What am I missing here? I e mailed them, and checked
all the things they said to do, but every time I try to get it to work, it
says connection with server terminated. They have no 800#. What other
free or cheap Usenet server should I get?

Steve

Biggest problem most people have is trying to use the wrong server.

Next is making sure the user name is right. They don't tell you initially,
but its ". The setup makes it seem like its just
"yourname" initially.

I use it as one of my news services (backup) on Outlook Express and Windows
Live, but I was never able to get it to work with Thunderbird. My other
news services worked just fine with Thunderbird. Not sure what was up with
that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I got the $4 free news service from teranews, but can't for the life
of me get it to working. What am I missing here? I e mailed them,
and checked all the things they said to do, but every time I try to
get it to work, it says connection with server terminated. They have
no 800#. What other free or cheap Usenet server should I get?

Steve

What newsreader are you using ? I use tera , and occasionally it will
drop me , but reconnects right away . At one time there was quite a lag
between posting and posts showing up on my newsreader (Outhouse Express) ,
but they show up almost instantly now . Well , except at rec.guns , where
most of my posts *never* show up ...

rec.guns is moderated and anti-spam features in e-mails almost universally
cause posts to get rejected. Use a non-used, but legitimate throw away
address and supposedly it works better. The moderators actually see your
posts then.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I got the $4 free news service from teranews, but can't for the life of me
get it to working. What am I missing here? I e mailed them, and checked
all the things they said to do, but every time I try to get it to work, it
says connection with server terminated. They have no 800#. What other
free or cheap Usenet server should I get?

Steve

Steve,

Check the following:

Server: free.teranews.com

Server Tab: "log on using secure password authentication" NOT checked

Account name is where "xxxx" is your account name

NNTP port: 119

Give that a try.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message
I got the $4 free news service from teranews, but can't for the life of
me get it to working. What am I missing here? I e mailed them, and
checked all the things they said to do, but every time I try to get it to
work, it says connection with server terminated. They have no 800#.
What other free or cheap Usenet server should I get?

Steve

Biggest problem most people have is trying to use the wrong server.

Next is making sure the user name is right. They don't tell you
initially, but its ". The setup makes it seem like
its just "yourname" initially.

I use it as one of my news services (backup) on Outlook Express and
Windows Live, but I was never able to get it to work with Thunderbird. My
other news services worked just fine with Thunderbird. Not sure what was
up with that.

Yeah, they sent me that e mail. I tried accessing the personal info screen
to change it, but couldn't get that option. So, they said to e mail them
back, which I did. I just sat down after driving to Vegas and back today to
do two real estate studies, so don't know if they added the @teranews.com to
make it work or not. I will futz with it tomorrow, and if it doesn't work,
I'll call my local computer geek, and maybe he can talk me through it. I
have until the 28th to get it running, that's when this one shuts off.
Thought I might cull a couple of silver bullets quickly here before going
off to bed. Had the crud for four days now.

It's always sumpthin. - Roseanne Rosannadanna -

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Yer a genius. It works. I think. Thanks.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yer a genius. It works. I think. Thanks.

That right there is going on my resume.

Glad it worked.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote:

I got the $4 free news service from teranews, but can't for the life of me
get it to working. What am I missing here? I e mailed them, and checked
all the things they said to do, but every time I try to get it to work, it
says connection with server terminated. They have no 800#. What other free
or cheap Usenet server should I get?

Steve

eternal-september seems to work fine for text based groups. I only use it when forteinc
isn't working.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default teranews question/redux

My news server is working fine. Joe Auto Drill came up with the fix. I can
now get binaries. Sheesh, it was a $4 hook up charge, no monthly. If I
would have known that, I wouldn't have gone without binaries for three years
or more now. I post, and five minutes later, it's on the board. Werks fer
me.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Steve B" wrote:

I got the $4 free news service from teranews, but can't for the life of me
get it to working. What am I missing here? I e mailed them, and checked
all the things they said to do, but every time I try to get it to work, it
says connection with server terminated. They have no 800#. What other
free or cheap Usenet server should I get?

eternal-september seems to work fine for text based groups. I only use it
when forteinc isn't working.

It's been working just fine on alt.binaries.schematics.electronic .

Cheers!
Rich