Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default grinding, buffing, polishing welded stainless steel.. Whats yourtake on it..

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out a bit here..

Here's the situation. We do some work for the food industry, so almost
everything we weld for them we need to grind smooth and polish the welds
and surfaces. Now this can be on an OD, or ID, or flat area.. Sometimes
its as big as 5" ID, or as small as 2" ID.. At the moment, and this is a
rough estimate, but we'll spend about an hour welding something, and 3
hours polishing. We grind with stones and flap wheels or sandpaper discs
on a pneumatic right angle or straight grinder, then polish with finer
flaps and or scotch bright wheels.

I really have to explore different avenues because this polishing time
is killing us. So, I come to you to ask, how the hell can I make these
jobs profitable?

Thanks for any insight

Tom