Alan Combellack

Default Polishing Stainless steel

Tried to send this yesterday but it seems not to have been posted. I'll try
again

I am renovating our kitchen but don't want to spend more than I must. The
kitchen sink is stainless and is in good condition except for lots of little
scratches. I would appreciate advice on how best to polish it. TIA
Alan C

BobK207

Depending on how scratched it is, I might do nothing. SS is softer
than more of the stuff that goes into a sink. If the scratch pattern
is random, varied & wide spread it will hide future scratches.

My mom's house has the same SS sink for 40 years. It is somewhat
scartched but hardy more noticeable than when first new.

The appeal of SS;
minimal, it any, staining
more felxible, fewer china / crystal breaks

I assume you only want to polish the bottom of the sink.
If you must you, can probably use the method I used to save a SS pot.
I left it on the stove for 2 hours on high (by mistake) with two ham
hocks.

I used liquid Comet (Softscrub would work).
I rigged up a polishing tool using a 4.5 or 6" sanding disc backer
(hard rubber with a threaded fittting in the back)

I put a threaded rod into the backer & into my electric drill. I faced
the disck with some drywall sanding screen (fine), a couple layers.

I squirted the Comet into the pot & went at it. Took about an hour but
those ham hocks were cremated onto the surface.

Are you sure this this necessary?

Try to avoid using a cleanser with chlorine beach, SS is sensitve to
chorline especially in a process like this. Do not leave the cleanser
on the sink when your not polishing, rinse well

cheers
Bob

Alan Combellack

Thanks to both of you. I'll try both methods.
Alan C
"-linux_lad" wrote in message

I have some rentals that are only profitable if I can keep expenses down.
Whenever tenants move out I polish the sink with a slurry of fine rubbing
compound (automotive) applied with a padded applicator velcroed to a wheel
and attached to a drill. I then flush the sink, make sure it's completely
free of any grit, and polish it with Bon Ami the same way I did with the
rubbing compound. The result is spectacular, and it's cheap and relatively
easy to achieve. I'm about to remodel my kitchen, so I'll do the same
thing for my own sink and post the pics (two weeks from Friday).

--
-linux_lad

BobK207