Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reversing a small Bodine motor

I have a small fractional HP Bodine motor. From what I learned from
the Bodine website, it is a shaded pole motor. For my application, I
need it reversed. How do I reverse this motor? Is it even possible?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 19:38:48 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

I have a small fractional HP Bodine motor. From what I learned from
the Bodine website, it is a shaded pole motor. For my application, I
need it reversed. How do I reverse this motor? Is it even possible?

Bob

It can't be reversed by simply rewiring. But, if the stator and
housing are symmetrical, you might be able to take the motor apart and
reassemble it with the shaft sticking out the opposite end.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks Ned. I'll see if that is possible

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Right. I have done this a few times. What he's saying is that you need
to reverse the stator, while keeping everything else in the original
alinement. Imagine that you have the motor all apart in front of you,
but with everything in correct alinement. Pick up the stator and turn
it end for end. Now put it all back together.
However, when I have done this, I have had to run some of the wiring on
the outside, adding length as needed, in order to get it connected up
properly. I think that included filing a notch or two for the wires to
exit.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

Ned Simmons wrote:
snip

It can't be reversed by simply rewiring. But, if the stator and
housing are symmetrical, you might be able to take the motor apart and
reassemble it with the shaft sticking out the opposite end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There is a bearing cap on one end. I'll see if I can press it out and
swap to the other side.

Thanks again guys.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some small motors, you can take them apart with two bolts
and nuts. Pull the armature out, and put it back in from the
other side of the laminates. Then, it runs the other way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a small fractional HP Bodine motor. From what I
learned from
the Bodine website, it is a shaded pole motor. For my
application, I
need it reversed. How do I reverse this motor? Is it even
possible?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I pulled it apart. I have to remove the bearings from the shaft so I
can move the cooling fan to the opposite side when I reverse the
shaft. Looks like it will be OK.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You da man! We never doubted you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob" wrote in message
I pulled it apart. I have to remove the bearings from the
shaft so I
can move the cooling fan to the opposite side when I reverse
the
shaft. Looks like it will be OK.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking