Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Iggy... syncronizing spindle

Ig,

I've come up with a potential application that would require me to
syncronize three rotary motions simultaneously. Similar to what you did
with rigid tapping, but with a non-milling machine.

However, it seems EMC^2 might be the tool to do it.

Would you be willing to share the code/system configs you used to sync your
spindle with Z for tapping?

Thanks,

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ig,

I've come up with a potential application that would require me to
syncronize three rotary motions simultaneously. Similar to what you did
with rigid tapping, but with a non-milling machine.

However, it seems EMC^2 might be the tool to do it.

Would you be willing to share the code/system configs you used to sync your
spindle with Z for tapping?

Lloyd, I will share absolutely everything I know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ig,

I've come up with a potential application that would require me to
syncronize three rotary motions simultaneously. Similar to what you did
with rigid tapping, but with a non-milling machine.

However, it seems EMC^2 might be the tool to do it.

Would you be willing to share the code/system configs you used to sync
your spindle with Z for tapping?

OK, there are probably two ways to do this. If what you are trying to do
can be expressed in the form of G-code, then EMC2 might be used generally
the way it is. But, that is mostly one of the threading cycles, like G33.
It pretty much wants to synch Z movement to the spindle.

Now, this assumes you are wanting to synch something to a motion that EMC
doesn't have precise control over, ie. a spindle. If you just want 3 rotary
axes to move in synch to each other, call them A, B and C and write the
required G-code to move them the way you want.

If you need to synchronize 3 rotary axes to some external motion, then EMC2
can't really do that directly right now with G-code. Underlying EMC2,
however, is a much more general system called HAL (hardware abstraction
layer). If you want to link 3 axes to move, as "electronic gearing" to
something else, with specified ratios and offsets, this can be done in HAL.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd, I sent you an email yesterday, let me know if you did not get
it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson fired this volley in
:

If you want to link 3 axes to move, as "electronic gearing" to
something else, with specified ratios and offsets, this can be done in
HAL.

Yes, that would be it, Jon.

I have to find some hollow encoders... the work must pass through the
spindles.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Jon Elson fired this volley in
:

If you want to link 3 axes to move, as "electronic gearing" to
something else, with specified ratios and offsets, this can be done in
HAL.

Yes, that would be it, Jon.

I have to find some hollow encoders... the work must pass through the
spindles.

Hollow encoders are extremely common, your issue will be if you need a
large bore, in which case your best bet will be a large timing belt
pulley around the spindle and belt drive to your encoder.

Spindle nose adapter for Delta-Rockwell 11" lathe (#25-100) with L-00 spindle Dan Allen Metalworking 7 April 3rd 14 05:12 PM
Router Spindle Tram (Iggy ?) Bob La Londe[_5_] Metalworking 0 September 12th 10 06:07 PM
Iggy SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 9 August 17th 09 09:56 PM
Problem installing Tradesman drillpress - "locking" spindle arborinto the spindle mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 4 April 18th 06 01:31 AM
syncronizing 3 diferent video signal [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 February 23rd 06 11:50 AM