Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT How to size a diode?

I am fabricating a small box that will house a couple of "muffin" fans
to direct air behind a fireplace insert. I have a 3 position switch
(0, 1 , 2) so that I can run either one or two fans. I need a "check
valve" (diode?) to prevent both of the fans from running when the
switch is set for a single fan. I am having a bit of trouble with
selecting a diode. I did a quick google search that leads me to
believe that the diode needs to be specified based on reverse current
to be blocked and the voltage. The fans draw 20W each. For such a
cheap simple part, I wish to buy it at Radio Shack but looking at
their web page: http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...goryId=2032269
I am having difficulty trying to pick one - many of the diodes do not
even show a spec sheet. Recommendations please. Once I complete this
task I can get down to forming the sheetmetal. Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

You didn't say how many volts your source is.

In any case, we have to assume you are running
the fans off of DC, prolly 12 volts else the
diode trick won't work. Since we are using DC,
reverse voltage doesn't exist and isn't an issue.
That leaves current rating. At 12 volts and 20W,
your fan will draw 1.67 amperes. So to be safe,
you need at least a 2 ampere diode.

The diode will drop .8 volts across it during
operation, and 1.67 amperes times .8 volts is
1.3 watts of power that the diode will have to
dissipate. That's a reasonable amount in free air.

This should work fine.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...77#tabsetBasic
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What kind of fans are you using? 20W sounds like AC motors. If so,
you do not want diodes. What you need is the right switch, or a two
pole four postion rotary switch wired to give the function you want.
Another way is the switch used in range hoods, or just a pair of SPST
switches, one for each fan. You may need a metal flap to block the
unused fan to keep the hot air from being pushed back through it.

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I might be missing something here , but why not just use 2 spst
switches and then you can run either fan , both fans, or none.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

You don't neet a diode, you need a switch. Specifically, a DPDT Center-off
switch.

Ground out both fans, and use the switch to switch the hot. Here is a
picture of how you would wire it up:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9725/dpdtfan.jpg

As you didn't provide specifications for your fans, determining the correct
ratings (and size and mounting hole) for your switch is up to you.
Personally, I would order it online and get the switch you want, instead of
buying whatever radio shack has laying around made by God only knows who.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:17:46 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

[...]

IF he is running DC fans a center off double throw single pole switch
will work with a diode. With the diode connected between the positive
connections, and the negatives tied together, putting power to one
side of the diode will run the one motor, with current to the other
fan being blocked by the diode.
Put power to the other side of the diode and the first fan will run
through the diode, and the second fan will run full power.
Not a bad way to do things - and the diode just needs to handle
adequate voltage and current for one motor. If the fans are 12 volt,
he needs a 25 voltpiv, 2 amp diode at the very minimum. I'd use a 50
volt 5 or 10 amp diode if I was doing it. The 3 amp barrel diode on
the rat-shack site would do the job. It doesn't say on that site, but
it is a 50 volt PIV diode. (some are actually 200PIV) - look up
ecg-5800 for 50 volt,5801 is 100 volt, 5802 is 200 volt.
A 6 amp diode would be a 5850, 5854, or 5855 and would be a
stud-mount.(DO4 case)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:
You don't neet a diode, you need a switch. Specifically, a DPDT Center-off
switch.

Often described in the online catalogs as a DPDT ON-OFF-ON.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:05:25 -0800 (PST), beecrofter
wrote:

On Jan 24, 12:07*pm, wrote:
[...]

Fan specs? If they're AC fans (as the 20W suggests) then forget it,
just get a more appropriate switch eg. DPDT with center-off. Diodes
will fry the fans.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:
? You don't neet a diode, you need a switch. Specifically, a DPDT Center-off
? switch.

Often described in the online catalogs as a DPDT ON-OFF-ON.

How will that turn on both fans at once?

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
? You don't neet a diode, you need a switch. Specifically, a DPDT Center-off
? switch.

Often described in the online catalogs as a DPDT ON-OFF-ON.

How will that turn on both fans at once?

In Jon's diagram, the "down" position turns both on. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
You don't neet a diode, you need a switch. Specifically, a DPDT
Center-off switch.

Often described in the online catalogs as a DPDT ON-OFF-ON.

Aye, I also notice some of them say DPDT ON-NONE-ON.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:13:19 -0800, the renowned "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
You don't neet a diode, you need a switch. Specifically, a DPDT
Center-off switch.

Often described in the online catalogs as a DPDT ON-OFF-ON.

Aye, I also notice some of them say DPDT ON-NONE-ON.

Jon

It could also be done with a 2-pole 3-position (DP3T) slide switch,
which could be wired to give off-lo-hi in that (or any other) order.

Eg.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-SWITCH/1.html

33 cents each. ;-) Too bad there's no easy way to mount it to a
panel.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 24, 7:13*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
..
Often described in the online catalogs as a DPDT ON-OFF-ON.

Aye, I also notice some of them say DPDT ON-NONE-ON.
Jon

That's the two position version without a center OFF position.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/24/2011 7:16 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Jan 24, 7:13 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
..
Often described in the online catalogs as a DPDT ON-OFF-ON.

Aye, I also notice some of them say DPDT ON-NONE-ON.
Jon

That's the two position version without a center OFF position.

jsw

This is exactly the switch function of an ordinary, every day 3-way lamp
switch available at most any hardware store for a couple of bucks.

Off-Low-Medium-High switch positions correspond to no motor, one motor,
other motor and both motors.

Carla

It's all fun and games until she asks if you've ever seen "The Crying Game."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

Aye, I also notice some of them say DPDT ON-NONE-ON.

That's the two position version without a center OFF position.

Thanks Jim, now I know that.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 25, 12:43*am, Carla Fong wrote:
This is exactly the switch function of an ordinary, every day 3-way lamp
switch available at most any hardware store for a couple of bucks.

Carla

Yabbut those stores never have the right drill to mount those wall
switches neatly in an aluminum panel.

jsw,
who has wired a motorcycle with duct-taped light switches to get it
running.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:59:20 -0800, Bill Noble
wrote:

On 1/24/2011 9:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

is there any reason why you don't use a DPDT switch ? no diodes, works
with AC or DC fans

He would need a dpdt center off switch. And exactly haw are you going
to select ONE motor on one position, and 2 on the other with the
motors in parallell? I can see if you tie the commons together, and
tie both terninals of one side together, then feed the motors from the
2 terminals on one end of the switch - for 1 motor switch to the
position that connects the common to the bridged terminals and the
empty non-bridged terminal. For both to the position that connects the
common to the occupied non-bridged and the bridged terminals. Other
end of both motors tied together to the other (neuatral) line.
Any other way?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:37:58 -0800, Jim Stewart

He would need a dpdt center off switch. And exactly haw are you going
to select ONE motor on one position, and 2 on the other with the
motors in parallell? I can see if you tie the commons together, and
tie both terninals of one side together, then feed the motors from the
2 terminals on one end of the switch - for 1 motor switch to the
position that connects the common to the bridged terminals and the
empty non-bridged terminal. For both to the position that connects the
common to the occupied non-bridged and the bridged terminals. Other
end of both motors tied together to the other (neuatral) line.
Any other way?

http://www.grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fan.jpg

Basically what I said. You just moved the one jumper - has the same
effect.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OT, but worth mentioning.

Obama is on Fox on one TV and I'm recording Lynyrd Skynyrd singing God
and Guns on PBS on the other one,

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/25/2011 10:07 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:59:20 -0800, Bill Noble
wrote:

On 1/24/2011 9:07 AM,
wrote:
[...]

first, I don't recall a mention of off, but yes, a center off switch is
the way to go. Wire white to both motors. Wire black to both center
terminals of the switch. Connect motor 1 to pole 1 terminal 1. Connect
motor 2 to pole 2, both terminals.

How hard it this?

--
www.wbnoble.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 26, 11:57*am, Jim Stewart wrote:
.
In any case, this sort of thing begs for a
picture or drawing.

Fixed pitch font.
0 is a switch terminal, / is a closed switch contact.
Fan 1 is connected to two diagonally opposite terminals.

Fan 1 only:
fan1--0 0
/ /
power-0--0

fan2--0 0--fan1

Both fans:
fan1--0 0

power-0--0
\ \
fan2--0 0--fan1

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 26, 11:57 am, Jim wrote:
.
In any case, this sort of thing begs for a
picture or drawing.

That's why I linked to this picture when I
replied:

http://www.grumpyoldgeek.com/images/fan.jpg

Fixed pitch font.
0 is a switch terminal, / is a closed switch contact.
Fan 1 is connected to two diagonally opposite terminals.

Fan 1 only:
fan1--0 0
/ /
power-0--0

fan2--0 0--fan1

Both fans:
fan1--0 0

power-0--0
\ \
fan2--0 0--fan1

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 24, 12:07*pm, wrote:
I am fabricating a small box that will house a couple of "muffin" fans
to direct air behind a fireplace insert. *

Thanks to all of you for the responses. The fans are 120v. I just
assumed that there were diodes available for line voltage - they make
hydraulic check valves for all sorts of pressures.

Looks like I need to find a different switch. I bought the switch a
couple of years ago for this (future) project and suddenly when I got
the meter out to check the terminals, I realised that both fans were
going to run on both fan settings. I'll look into the switches
mentioned and see how I can package them (the hole is already made -
duh!). Thanks again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/26/2011 3:15 PM, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:07 pm, wrote:
I am fabricating a small box that will house a couple of "muffin" fans
to direct air behind a fireplace insert.

Thanks to all of you for the responses. The fans are 120v. I just
assumed that there were diodes available for line voltage - they make
hydraulic check valves for all sorts of pressures.

Looks like I need to find a different switch. I bought the switch a
couple of years ago for this (future) project and suddenly when I got
the meter out to check the terminals, I realised that both fans were
going to run on both fan settings. I'll look into the switches
mentioned and see how I can package them (the hole is already made -
duh!). Thanks again.

I hope this doesn't sound snide, it's not intended to be. Please look
at what a diode does. There are certainly diodes available to operate
at AC mains voltages, and they are cheap. But what a diode does is not
what you need done. There are some very simple, easy to read books and
articles about basic electricity, that explain AC and DC and some
essential concepts - one of my favorite was a military training manual
which is probably available in PDF. The question you asked shows a
basic misunderstanding of AC current and how AC motors work. Reading
even the most basic text will help you understand these responses.

A switch that fits the existing hole will not be a problem.

--
www.wbnoble.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:32:03 -0800, Bill Noble
wrote:

On 1/26/2011 3:15 PM, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

If he was running DC fans, a diode does EXACTLY what he wants to do -
but a diode cannot do that job on AC, no matter what kind of diode you
manage to get your hands on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 1/26/2011 3:15 PM, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

This Whole Thread is a massive.. Who Cares!
The OP was a Hit and run, and hasn't been back anyway.

But a lot of good discussion, and solutions, and lateral and forward
thinking.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 1/26/2011 3:15 PM, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes, he was. In fact, the orginal message and his reply are quoted
in your message.

But a lot of good discussion, and solutions, and lateral and forward
thinking.

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote:
On 1/26/2011 3:15 PM, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

Then sit down! You're blocking everyone's view. ;-)

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Coooool way coooool , switching transistors ,
pulll down

the fan , to ground ... no diodes ..

BTW create stuf @ googlegroups . com no noise , its
moderated ..

If its a technical problem its OK in

this news group ,, but i dont know how

to access my news group , help !

give me your email adress , ill add if i knew
how ..

yes , i can add addresses , but i can access the
account ,

cant find it nor figure it , yet im the creator !

I promise a huge database of tech stuff .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

for got to post the easier way .

buy Home Depot curly compact flour bulbs ,

transistors , diodes high voltage caps inductors ,

worth far more than the $1

I got 1000 the hard way , sawing off the
base

and cutting the PCB and re wiring the 13003 /
BLD123a high

voltage NPN's parallel , for 300 watts from a
23watt CFL .

News Groups ? High tech moderated createstuf @
Googlegroups . com

I need help to access it , and yet i created
it , give help pls

What size diode? garlicman Electronics 2 February 4th 08 10:46 AM
Neoprene Washers: Trade Size vs Actual Size JW Home Repair 0 July 5th 05 12:28 PM
nano size laser weld spot size for stainless steel sheets Venky Metalworking 3 February 7th 05 04:25 PM
H-size & V-size on Philips Magnavox 9P5531 Projection Television SupraMan Electronics Repair 1 September 3rd 03 05:11 AM
H-Size & V-Size on Philips Magnavox 9P5531 Projection TV Donald Perkins Electronics Repair 1 September 3rd 03 12:17 AM