Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cross-Slide Cross-Slide is offline

Default OT How to size a diode?

On Jan 27, 6:28*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:32:03 -0800, Bill Noble

wrote:
On 1/26/2011 3:15 PM, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:07 pm, wrote:
I am fabricating a small box that will house a couple of "muffin" fans
to direct air behind a fireplace insert.

Thanks to all of you for the responses. *The fans are 120v. *I just
assumed that there were diodes available for line voltage - they make
hydraulic check valves for all sorts of pressures.

Looks like I need to find a different switch. *I bought the switch a
couple of years ago for this (future) project and suddenly when I got
the meter out to check the terminals, I realised that both fans were
going to run on both fan settings. *I'll look into the switches
mentioned and see how I can package them (the hole is already made -
duh!). *Thanks again.

I hope this doesn't sound snide, it's not intended to be. *Please look
at what a diode does. *There are certainly diodes available to operate
at AC mains voltages, and they are cheap. *But what a diode does is not
what you need done. *There are some very simple, easy to read books and
articles about basic electricity, that explain AC and DC and some
essential concepts - one of my favorite was a military training manual
which is probably available in PDF. *The question you asked shows a
basic misunderstanding of AC current and how AC motors work. *Reading
even the most basic text will help you understand these responses.

*A switch that fits the existing hole will not be a problem.

*If he was running DC fans, a diode does EXACTLY what he wants to do -
but a diode cannot do that job on AC, no matter what kind of diode you
manage to get your hands on.

This Whole Thread is a massive.. Who Cares!
The OP was a Hit and run, and hasn't been back anyway.

But a lot of good discussion, and solutions, and lateral and forward
thinking.