Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default OT How to size a diode?

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:08:10 -0500, the renowned
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:15:24 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Jan 24, 12:07*pm, wrote:
I am fabricating a small box that will house a couple of "muffin" fans
to direct air behind a fireplace insert. *

Thanks to all of you for the responses. The fans are 120v. I just
assumed that there were diodes available for line voltage - they make
hydraulic check valves for all sorts of pressures.

Diodes do not work as switches in AC circuits. You will need a proper
switch to do the job on AC.

The only way that comes to mind with AC would be to add an AC-coil
SPST NO relay and I think a double pole switch will be easier and
cheaper.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany