Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Opinions about end mill quality

I just won a pair of new Duramill 5/32" five flute end mils( ULT-50156)
online. I paid $9.61 & shipping. The OEM prices them at over $20 each.
The packaging is marked 'C8 Duralube'.

Good brand? Junk, or somewhere in between?

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:05:05 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I just won a pair of new Duramill 5/32" five flute end mils( ULT-50156)
online. I paid $9.61 & shipping. The OEM prices them at over $20 each.
The packaging is marked 'C8 Duralube'.

Good brand? Junk, or somewhere in between?

Five flute on an EM that small is certainly unusual and would be
expensive. I'm curious, what would be the advantage over four flute in
something that small? FWIW, I nearly always use two flute on 1/8 and
smaller.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just won a pair of new Duramill 5/32" five flute end mils( ULT-50156)
online. I paid $9.61 & shipping. The OEM prices them at over $20 each.
The packaging is marked 'C8 Duralube'.

Good brand? Junk, or somewhere in between?

Five flute on an EM that small is certainly unusual and would be
expensive. I'm curious, what would be the advantage over four flute in
something that small? FWIW, I nearly always use two flute on 1/8 and
smaller.

Karl

More flutes compensate for lower top spindle speed?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just won a pair of new Duramill 5/32" five flute end mils( ULT-50156)
online. I paid $9.61 & shipping. The OEM prices them at over $20 each.
The packaging is marked 'C8 Duralube'.

Good brand? Junk, or somewhere in between?

Five flute on an EM that small is certainly unusual and would be
expensive. I'm curious, what would be the advantage over four flute in
something that small? FWIW, I nearly always use two flute on 1/8 and
smaller.

I've never used any five flute. They were the only reasonably priced
5/32" I could find. This area only has a couple industrial suppliers,
and they want full suggested OEM for stock items, and even more for
sizes they don't stock. They make Grainger look cheap.

They will be used to mill some plastic right now. I bought a new 5"
Drill Press Milling Vise recently, and will have to do the work on my
drill press, since the two mills I usually have access to are both over
scheduled right now.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just won a pair of new Duramill 5/32" five flute end mils( ULT-50156)
online. I paid $9.61 & shipping. The OEM prices them at over $20 each.
The packaging is marked 'C8 Duralube'.

C8 plus 5-flute sounds like carbide.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just won a pair of new Duramill 5/32" five flute end mils( ULT-50156)
online. I paid $9.61 & shipping. The OEM prices them at over $20 each.
The packaging is marked 'C8 Duralube'.

C8 plus 5-flute sounds like carbide.

It may be. There was a message on their website that DuraMill had
stopped selling carbide and HSS in 2008.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

They will be used to mill some plastic right now. I bought a new 5"
Drill Press Milling Vise recently, and will have to do the work on my
drill press, since the two mills I usually have access to are both over
scheduled right now.

Would you mind telling us how that works out? I have always struggled with
plastics.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

They will be used to mill some plastic right now. I bought a new 5"
Drill Press Milling Vise recently, and will have to do the work on my
drill press, since the two mills I usually have access to are both over
scheduled right now.

Would you mind telling us how that works out? I have always struggled with
plastics.

Sure. I have to cut some clean holes in some plastic external hard
drive cases. The OEM molded a pair of holes over one set of latches,
but not the other. I also have to make a pair of tools to depress all
four latches at the same time. They will be pairs of 1/8" drill rod
with either wood or aluminum handles. I'll try to get some photos of
each step. I still have two new cases to practice on before opening the
ones with drives.

The reason for this job is they are usable for both USB or Ethernet
interfaces. The ethernet interface doesn't show up as an IP address, so
they are invisible on your network. I use them to store driver software
and utility programs for repairing computers. Also, you can use a set
of three as a small RAID system.

Teflon coated.

Best quality telephone wire. Opinions? Vortex4 UK diy 24 October 30th 09 05:14 PM
Opinions of Ashley Furniture Quality Wanted ddmcall Home Ownership 2 March 2nd 05 11:57 AM
end mill quality Paul T. Metalworking 5 August 17th 04 10:04 PM
Quality of Starret band saw blades--opinions ken Metalworking 1 August 17th 04 06:09 PM
New Chinese mill vs old high quality mill Bill Ross Metalworking 39 July 8th 04 07:15 PM