Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Opinions about end mill quality

Karl Townsend wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:05:05 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I just won a pair of new Duramill 5/32" five flute end mils( ULT-50156)
online. I paid $9.61 & shipping. The OEM prices them at over $20 each.
The packaging is marked 'C8 Duralube'.

Good brand? Junk, or somewhere in between?

Five flute on an EM that small is certainly unusual and would be
expensive. I'm curious, what would be the advantage over four flute in
something that small? FWIW, I nearly always use two flute on 1/8 and
smaller.

I've never used any five flute. They were the only reasonably priced
5/32" I could find. This area only has a couple industrial suppliers,
and they want full suggested OEM for stock items, and even more for
sizes they don't stock. They make Grainger look cheap.

They will be used to mill some plastic right now. I bought a new 5"
Drill Press Milling Vise recently, and will have to do the work on my
drill press, since the two mills I usually have access to are both over
scheduled right now.

Teflon coated.