Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 56 years ago

Rich Grise wrote:
Thats only 56 years ago!

I have a good idea of what those figures will look like in the US
and other affluent countries. But you may be amused by what it's
like in other places:

Comments made in the year 1955!

'I'll tell you one thing, if things
keep going the way they are,
it's going to be impossible to
buy a week's groceries for $10.00. '

Over here, a lower middle class family can still get by on that
in a city, excluding meat which is about US$2 a pound.

http://www.vintagepostcards.org/auct...devonsheer.jpg

'Have you seen the new cars
coming out next year? It won't
be long before $1,000.00 will
only buy a used one.'

1949 Chevrolet Fleetline

You can still buy a used car for $1000, occasionally for $500,
though one in good condition costs more.

'If cigarettes keep going up in
price, I'm going to quit; 20 cents
a pack is ridiculous. '

http://www.emulsioncompulsion.com/ga...Cigarettes.jpg

Most brands are still less than $1 a pack, after a steep climb as
a result of the anti-smoking campaigns. Thank god I quit 20 years
ago - after chain smoking for the previous 20 yrs - when a good
brand was 10-20 US cents a pack.

'Did you hear the post office is
thinking about charging 7 cents
just to mail a letter.'

http://www.worldofgramophones.com/joan38.jpg

The current rate here is about 11 cents.

'If they raise the minimum wage
to $1.00, nobody will be able to
hire outside help at the store.'

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/533...1E70F2B3269972

Currently -
Manual labourer - $3.20
Carpenter- $6-8
Clerk, per month - $100 (private), $150 (gov)

'It won't be long before young
couples are going to have to hire
someone to watch their kids so
they can both work.'

Most city folks here have live-in help, at $20-40 a month and
found.

'No one can afford to be sick
anymore. At $15.00 a day in
the hospital, it's too rich for
my blood.'

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/09/22/430-ward.jpg

In my state at least, $15 a day will still get you a private room
in a private hospital. Medical care extra.

'If they think I'll pay 30 cents
for a hair cut, forget it.'

http://www2.tbo.com/exposure/ar/385/...539_elvis1.jpg

They recently raised it to 65 cents over here. OMG, what's the
world coming to?!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 13:05:40 +0530, "Pimpom" wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
[...]

Where the hell do you live? Algeria??

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pimpom wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
[...]

How can I get there for cheap? Is there a merchant marine ship I could
sign on to as a cabin boy or something? Would I have to learn Hindi? ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 00:26:50 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 13:05:40 +0530, "Pimpom" wrote:

Comments made in the year 1955!

'I'll tell you one thing, if things
keep going the way they are,
it's going to be impossible to
buy a week's groceries for $10.00. '

Over here, a lower middle class family can still get by on that in a
city, excluding meat which is about US$2 a pound.

http://www.vintagepostcards.org/auct...devonsheer.jpg

[...snip several other examples]

'If they raise the minimum wage
to $1.00, nobody will be able to
hire outside help at the store.'

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/533...1E70F2B3269972

Currently -
Manual labourer - $3.20
Carpenter- $6-8

Is that per hour or per day? In much of India,
isn't the average daily wage less than either amount?

Clerk, per month - $100 (private), $150 (gov)

'No one can afford to be sick
anymore. At $15.00 a day in
the hospital, it's too rich for
my blood.'

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/09/22/430-ward.jpg

In my state at least, $15 a day will still get you a private
room in a private hospital. Medical care extra.

'If they think I'll pay 30 cents
for a hair cut, forget it.'

http://www2.tbo.com/exposure/ar/385/...539_elvis1.jpg

They recently raised it to 65 cents over here. OMG, what's the world
coming to?!

Where the hell do you live? Algeria??

He's in Mizoram, an Indian State 300-500 Km east of Kolkata; ie,
east of Bangladesh.

When I was in India about 6 years ago, I got overcharged for
a haircut, although not as badly as could have been. I paid
with a 50R note, which the barber seemed pleased with; but I
held my hand out, waiting, until he gave me 10R change. So,
net cost 40R, about 85 cents. From what Pimpom says, maybe I
could have gotten another 10 or 15R in change.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:

[...]

Maybe they charged you a Tourist Tax?

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:26:12 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby wrote:

'If they think I'll pay 30 cents
for a hair cut, forget it.'

http://www2.tbo.com/exposure/ar/385/...539_elvis1.jpg

They recently raised it to 65 cents over here. OMG, what's the world
coming to?!

Where the hell do you live? Algeria??

He's in Mizoram, an Indian State 300-500 Km east of Kolkata; ie,
east of Bangladesh.

When I was in India about 6 years ago, I got overcharged for
a haircut, although not as badly as could have been. I paid
with a 50R note, which the barber seemed pleased with; but I
held my hand out, waiting, until he gave me 10R change. So,
net cost 40R, about 85 cents. From what Pimpom says, maybe I
could have gotten another 10 or 15R in change.

When I was working at a power station project near Korba in 1988 we got a
Rs55/d sundries allowance paid cash (basically beer money for the site mess).
It was quite embarrassing to collect it from the site cashier, because I knew
that he was getting paid RS35/d wages as a skilled office worker :-(

Mark Rand
RTFM

Why Didn't I Buy This Years Ago!? J. Clarke Woodworking 2 August 2nd 10 05:35 PM
Why Didn't I Buy This Years Ago!? RonB[_2_] Woodworking 0 August 2nd 10 05:06 AM
10 Years Later [email protected] Metalworking 18 August 21st 08 12:33 AM
100 years Ron Woodworking 3 January 11th 08 08:58 PM
IN A FEW YEARS [email protected] Home Ownership 1 June 25th 05 09:49 AM