Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default 56 years ago

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 00:26:50 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 13:05:40 +0530, "Pimpom" wrote:

Comments made in the year 1955!

'I'll tell you one thing, if things
keep going the way they are,
it's going to be impossible to
buy a week's groceries for $10.00. '

Over here, a lower middle class family can still get by on that in a
city, excluding meat which is about US$2 a pound.

http://www.vintagepostcards.org/auct...devonsheer.jpg

[...snip several other examples]

'If they raise the minimum wage
to $1.00, nobody will be able to
hire outside help at the store.'

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/533...1E70F2B3269972

Currently -
Manual labourer - $3.20
Carpenter- $6-8

Is that per hour or per day? In much of India,
isn't the average daily wage less than either amount?

Clerk, per month - $100 (private), $150 (gov)

'No one can afford to be sick
anymore. At $15.00 a day in
the hospital, it's too rich for
my blood.'

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/09/22/430-ward.jpg

In my state at least, $15 a day will still get you a private
room in a private hospital. Medical care extra.

'If they think I'll pay 30 cents
for a hair cut, forget it.'

http://www2.tbo.com/exposure/ar/385/...539_elvis1.jpg

They recently raised it to 65 cents over here. OMG, what's the world
coming to?!

Where the hell do you live? Algeria??

He's in Mizoram, an Indian State 300-500 Km east of Kolkata; ie,
east of Bangladesh.

When I was in India about 6 years ago, I got overcharged for
a haircut, although not as badly as could have been. I paid
with a 50R note, which the barber seemed pleased with; but I
held my hand out, waiting, until he gave me 10R change. So,
net cost 40R, about 85 cents. From what Pimpom says, maybe I
could have gotten another 10 or 15R in change.

--
jiw