Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Newfangled "no pollution" plastic gas can spouts SUCK???

I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?

WTF?????????????????????????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5053 wrote:

I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?

WTF?????????????????????????

Not sure what problem you're having. I find that that version of the
vent free spout is significantly better than the couple versions that
proceeded it. The ability to shutoff the flow without having to rapidly
tip the can back is a big benefit for filling small tanks like on lawn
equipment.

If you want real convenience, just find yourself a portable fuel caddy
with a nozzle and manual pump, such as Northern Tool item# 33631-1101.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:25:29 -0600, Ignoramus5053
wrote:

I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?

Yep

"The Kid" had to buy these for his new place. I've promised to turn up
some adaptors to elimintate that valve assembly for him. haven't seen
his design yet.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?

Yep

"The Kid" had to buy these for his new place. I've promised to turn up
some adaptors to elimintate that valve assembly for him. haven't seen
his design yet.

Karl

You can bypass the valve with a cable tie, why bother machining
something?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?

Yep

"The Kid" had to buy these for his new place. I've promised to turn up
some adaptors to elimintate that valve assembly for him. haven't seen
his design yet.

Karl

You can bypass the valve with a cable tie, why bother machining
something?

I know he wants higher flow rate to fill his tractors and plans a
larger size hose like the older units.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?
Yep

"The Kid" had to buy these for his new place. I've promised to turn up
some adaptors to elimintate that valve assembly for him. haven't seen
his design yet.

Karl

You can bypass the valve with a cable tie, why bother machining
something?

I know he wants higher flow rate to fill his tractors and plans a
larger size hose like the older units.

karl

He should be looking at the larger fuel caddies intended for that kind
of use, instead of the small cans. Take a look on Northerntool.com for
some examples.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 18, 10:25*am, Ignoramus5053
wrote:
I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?

WTF?????????????????????????

I agree.

Ig...if you know how to shop surplus ;) start looking for old cans at
your usual haunts...they are there.

Garage sales, thrift stores are other sources.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

At least I'm not the only one that hates those. That is all they had
when the power went out, but I didn't pay $50. They are a major pain
when they are full and ya have to hold up 31 lbs. with one hand and
hold the button down, especially when the gas is 10 degrees.

I hadn't thought of the tie strap as another pointed out. That's
what's going on it next time I use it. If you put a couple of hose
extenders on it then you can set the 'can' on the edge of the pickup,
which worked pretty well yesterday. Finally got my Toy to run right,
now I have to take the whole dash apart to get the leaves and sand out
of the AC/heater box and duct work and it will be ready for the main
vehicle to die.

Can't see why I didn't think about zip-ties... All my circular saws
have the guards tied back. Sure they are dangerous and ya have to wait
for the skill saw to stop spinning and set it nicely on concrete, but
hey at least the cut is straight and ya don't have to lean on the
miter saw to get the guard to start moving.

BTW, loved you generator video.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 18, 12:06*pm, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
[...]

All my cans are early Blitzes from before CARB started messing things
up for everyone. The b-in-l has to carry a bunch of fuel when he's
out running his tile washing rig and all he could get was the previous
versions of the "improved" cans. Bought out the store when they
showed him the newest cans. Found out what he was squawking about when
I had to refill one of the 4-wheelers when hunting. The older ones
are bad enough, he showed me what the new ones were like when we hit
wally world one time. Glad I got what I've got.

If CARB is worried about the pollution from handicans, they should be
worried about hydrocarbon emissions from evergreens even more.

So what kind of jail time do you get for swapping a can lid for an old-
style one with a regular hose on it? Probably have different threads
so you'd have to machine one up.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote:

At least I'm not the only one that hates those. That is all they had
when the power went out, but I didn't pay $50. They are a major pain
when they are full and ya have to hold up 31 lbs. with one hand and
hold the button down, especially when the gas is 10 degrees.

They certainly are easier to use in the smaller sizes. I actually like
the new style on the little 1 gal cans I use for 2 cycle mix and for
fueling my little Honda generator. They are more of a pain on the 5 gal
size, but even there I find that I can wrestle the can into position and
braced, before opening the valve, and then once the spout is in place
turn it on to fill and then easily stop it without having to tip the can
back and spill fuel. I think the more you use it the easier it gets as
you figure out the best technique.

I hadn't thought of the tie strap as another pointed out. That's
what's going on it next time I use it. If you put a couple of hose
extenders on it then you can set the 'can' on the edge of the pickup,
which worked pretty well yesterday. Finally got my Toy to run right,
now I have to take the whole dash apart to get the leaves and sand out
of the AC/heater box and duct work and it will be ready for the main
vehicle to die.

Can't see why I didn't think about zip-ties... All my circular saws
have the guards tied back. Sure they are dangerous and ya have to wait
for the skill saw to stop spinning and set it nicely on concrete, but
hey at least the cut is straight and ya don't have to lean on the
miter saw to get the guard to start moving.

I'm not sure why you need to tie the guard back on the circular saw. I
normally manually swing the guard back before starting the saw and find
I can easily hold the guard lever back with my thumb while running the
saw. This allows me to easily release the guard after the cut at the
same time I release the trigger and then I can readily put the saw down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-18, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:

At least I'm not the only one that hates those. That is all they had
when the power went out, but I didn't pay $50. They are a major pain
when they are full and ya have to hold up 31 lbs. with one hand and
hold the button down, especially when the gas is 10 degrees.

That's one thing.

Another is that the button gets very stuck.

I have a metal gas can in the truck at all times, which is very
helpful. I cannot imagine keeping one with this wimpy plastic spout
attached permanently, as it will be very likely to break if the metal
can falls or something falls on the can.

BTW, loved you generator video.

thanks... I am kind of a visual guy myself and I like videos...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5053 wrote:

thanks... I am kind of a visual guy myself and I like videos...

Did I share the link to my video(s) showing what can be done with a
crummy little stepper and ACME screw driven mini mill?

http://wpnet.us/chocolate_mold/chocolate_mold.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus5053 wrote:

thanks... I am kind of a visual guy myself and I like videos...

Did I share the link to my video(s) showing what can be done with a
crummy little stepper and ACME screw driven mini mill?

http://wpnet.us/chocolate_mold/chocolate_mold.htm

The mold looks very nice. I am downloading the 3x speed movie right
now...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:29:22 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Back in the '80s, when I had my smog license for autos, I cringed when
I did the pure air calibration. NOX was higher environmentally than
the standards called for, and most of that was from the forests and
evil shrubbery.

So what kind of jail time do you get for swapping a can lid for an old-
style one with a regular hose on it? Probably have different threads
so you'd have to machine one up.

A business? Prolly not more than a year g, plus a nastyass fine.
They want the money more than anything else.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:29:43 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Sunworshipper wrote:

[...]

I was doing that once, blade hit a nail which bent a tooth which
snagged the guard, which snapped the extension off where my thumb was
holding it. Had to buy a new guard. Surprisingly, my thumb was ok.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sunworshipper wrote:

[...]

Pete Keillor- Hide quoted text -

How were your pants doing? ;)

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5053 wrote:
I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?

WTF?????????????????????????

those gas cans true pieces of ****.

In you flip them over to pour the last of the gas out, it will pour out
the valve, not the spout.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-19, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus5053 wrote:
I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?

WTF?????????????????????????

those gas cans true pieces of ****.

In you flip them over to pour the last of the gas out, it will pour out
the valve, not the spout.

And the little button is prone to resetting, so one needs to hold it
while holding a can upside down for pouring.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5053 wrote:
I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?

WTF?????????????????????????

Yep the threads are different and the size of the caps are just enough
different so they don't fit.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?
Yep

"The Kid" had to buy these for his new place. I've promised to turn up
some adaptors to elimintate that valve assembly for him. haven't seen
his design yet.

Karl

You can bypass the valve with a cable tie, why bother machining
something?

I know he wants higher flow rate to fill his tractors and plans a
larger size hose like the older units.

karl

Karl,
Easy enough to do. What you need is a simple flanged tube that will
replace the plastic unit but uses the factory cap retainer to hold it in
place. Then a flexible spout. I made one up out of a spare jerry can
spout I had. Works fine.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am talking about spouts like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-P...dp/B002YKFQLM/

I find that they totally SUCK and are a complete abomination.

Is that true that new "CARB compliant" gas cans are not compatible
with old spouts?

WTF?????????????????????????

Can't you unscrew the lid and then use a funnel?

:-)

Mark Rand(Still got proper Jerry cans for petrol and diesel)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here is an easy fix for the spring-loaded gas can:

http://youtu.be/X3o5tHLWZKc

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One person could make one small innocent part, another person could make another piece, a third person another piece...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Here is an easy fix for the spring-loaded gas can:

http://youtu.be/X3o5tHLWZKc

Every version of an enviro gas can is utter ****.

I took some type that has a green lever type valve back to the auto parts
store as it actually spewed gasoline all over the place if you flipped the
can on end to get the last cup of gas out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Please, people, do not get me started on these cans and how painful
should be the death for their inventors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-25, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
Here is an easy fix for the spring-loaded gas can:

http://youtu.be/X3o5tHLWZKc

Every version of an enviro gas can is utter ****.

I took some type that has a green lever type valve back to the auto parts
store as it actually spewed gasoline all over the place if you flipped the
can on end to get the last cup of gas out.

Some years ago I bought a spout for my gas can that really helps in
avoiding gas spills. You put the spout in the tank, press on the spout
so that it moves in a little, and gas comes out. Really helpful for
filling the tank on my backhoe which is about 6 feet up. So I needed a
couple new cans and they came with a "spill proof" spout made by
Briggs and Stratton. The biggest piece of **** I've seen in a long
time. The damn things guarantee spillage. I don't know why the design
of the older one I have wasn't copied. I took mine back.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-25, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
Here is an easy fix for the spring-loaded gas can:

http://youtu.be/X3o5tHLWZKc
Every version of an enviro gas can is utter ****.

I took some type that has a green lever type valve back to the auto parts
store as it actually spewed gasoline all over the place if you flipped the
can on end to get the last cup of gas out.

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

THANK YOU!!!!

Gunner, with a large number of 5 gallon cans

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-25, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
Here is an easy fix for the spring-loaded gas can:

http://youtu.be/X3o5tHLWZKc
Every version of an enviro gas can is utter ****.

I took some type that has a green lever type valve back to the auto parts
store as it actually spewed gasoline all over the place if you flipped the
can on end to get the last cup of gas out.

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

THANK YOU!!!!

Gunner, with a large number of 5 gallon cans

Well, that sucks. I just tried to find one at Ace, BigR, and DoItBest
(3 of their supposed retailers) but not a one of them carries those
spouts.

--
Poverty is easy. It's Charity and Chastity that are hard.
--anon

On 2013-01-25, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
Here is an easy fix for the spring-loaded gas can:

http://youtu.be/X3o5tHLWZKc
Every version of an enviro gas can is utter ****.

I took some type that has a green lever type valve back to the auto parts
store as it actually spewed gasoline all over the place if you flipped the
can on end to get the last cup of gas out.

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

THANK YOU!!!!

Gunner, with a large number of 5 gallon cans

Well, that sucks. I just tried to find one at Ace, BigR, and DoItBest
(3 of their supposed retailers) but not a one of them carries those
spouts.

I looked at Tractor Supply and they were sold out. If you live in one of
the "banned sale" states you may need to look in areas other than near
the gas cans.

Try the store locater they have. It may point you in the right direction.

--
Steve W.

On 2013-01-25, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
Here is an easy fix for the spring-loaded gas can:

http://youtu.be/X3o5tHLWZKc
Every version of an enviro gas can is utter ****.

I took some type that has a green lever type valve back to the auto parts
store as it actually spewed gasoline all over the place if you flipped the
can on end to get the last cup of gas out.

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

THANK YOU!!!!

Gunner, with a large number of 5 gallon cans

Well, that sucks. I just tried to find one at Ace, BigR, and DoItBest
(3 of their supposed retailers) but not a one of them carries those
spouts.

So order them online!

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well, that sucks. I just tried to find one at Ace, BigR, and DoItBest
(3 of their supposed retailers) but not a one of them carries those
spouts.

So order them online!

I prefer to fondle 'em in the store, thanks.

Seeing them next to each other and feeling the type of plastic
available can make a real difference in their usability to a person,
KWIM,V? Plus, shipping fees nowadays are significant, probably
doubling, if not tripling, the cost of the spout.

One of these days, I'll see if all my spouts are interchangeable and
go from there. Most of my cans don't have the spring-loaded ecocrap
spouts, anyway. I like easy spouts when possible, leaving them in
place rather than flipping their direction and storing them inside the
can to leak onto my fingers when using.

--
Poverty is easy. It's Charity and Chastity that are hard.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They are real nice. I have two and they work very well. Not real
flexible in the cold just like most plastics.

I asked what the difference was between the "gas" and the "water" spouts
was. Color only, same plastic.

--
Steve W.