Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hmmmm.... The Hurco Vs the Mini Mill

Upon careful reflection for a lot of what I have do I have figured out that
the mini mill is the superior tool. No its not as accurate. No it doesn't
have as much power. No it doesn't have error correction or spindle servo
tracking/DRO. No its not as durable. No its not self lubricating. No, its
not anti-backlash (yet).

However, for removing material for detail cutting in aluminum (mostly .0625,
but some smaller) with tiny cutters. As near as I can tell that 1HP 35K RPM
(24K to 30K seems to really work wonders side cutting) router motor will eat
the Hurco alive. As near as I can tell there isn't any real production gain
until I start using cutters larger than 1/4 inch. I can use it for
surfacing and drilling, but for carving its not the right machine. What am
I missing?

(I had not planned it for detail work, but rather for making larger parts to
make more mini machines, but I know I'll hate to see it sit idle when its
not building machines.)

Maybe this is will take some input from Joe(multispindle)AutoDrill. LOL.
Figure out how to mount 4 routers on it for carving. I have already done
dual spindle on the Taig, and after I get my final redesign on the z-axis
figured out I'll probably go dual spindle on it again. This time probably
with a stepper for z height adjustment on the second spindle.

I guess these are the kind of thoughts that keep me from being a real
machinist.

P.S. Thanks Iggy for getting me to try a router as a spindle. Its awesome,
although at the rate I use it I eat brushes like a little kid eats free
candy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

Upon careful reflection for a lot of what I have do I have figured out that
the mini mill is the superior tool. No its not as accurate. No it doesn't
have as much power. No it doesn't have error correction or spindle servo
tracking/DRO. No its not as durable. No its not self lubricating. No, its
not anti-backlash (yet).

However, for removing material for detail cutting in aluminum (mostly .0625,
but some smaller) with tiny cutters. As near as I can tell that 1HP 35K RPM
(24K to 30K seems to really work wonders side cutting) router motor will eat
the Hurco alive.

Realize that you can hang a high speed aux spindle on that Hurco and
have the truly superior machine. You can fixture multiple parts for your
fine engraving and do a dozen parts with better accuracy in a single
setup and unattended run, and you can run higher feed rates to match
your high speed spindle's top speed without lost step concerns.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 4, 1:22*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
[...]

Yes...aluminum removal loves speed...the more the better.

About 20 years ago I walked away from a midsized mill (brand name
concealed to protect my future scrounging efforts) converted to HI
SPEED spindle...and I kicked myself down the street since
kick..kick..kick.. for letting it go.

Such is the price of youthful ignorance.

I have yet to find another one since that would be a suitable
replacement in a HSM environment.

But hope springs eternal...

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

However, for removing material for detail cutting in aluminum (mostly
.0625, but some smaller) with tiny cutters. As near as I can tell
that 1HP 35K RPM (24K to 30K seems to really work wonders side
cutting) router motor will eat the Hurco alive. As near as I can tell
there isn't any real production gain until I start using cutters
larger than 1/4 inch. I can use it for surfacing and drilling, but
for carving its not the right machine. What am I missing?

Bob, although I love my R2E4, I do quite a bit of work with small
cutters, and the R2E4 tops out at 4K RPM. I'm thinking about putting a
high-speed inverter motor in a tool holder just for use with the tiny
bits. Even at very small chip loads, I still cannot duplicate the SF/M I
need on the gummier aluminums.

It'll involve fooling the R2E4 into not running its spindle motor, even
though spindle-enable is on... a TPST switch, I guess...

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can mount your router on the hurco, too.

I engraved stuff on my Bridgeport too, it is easy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:22:05 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

if you get a quality high speed spindle for that hurco, you won't use
your little machine again.

I don't use it often but i scored a high speed spindle that chucks
right into the taper 40 tool holder. Does 30K and can be used as a
tool change on any part I make. Start watching the bay for one of
these.

I also have a 6X spindle speeder. perfect for 1/16 EMs, Scored this on
eBay also.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-05, Karl Townsend wrote:
if you get a quality high speed spindle for that hurco, you won't use
your little machine again.

I don't use it often but i scored a high speed spindle that chucks
right into the taper 40 tool holder. Does 30K and can be used as a
tool change on any part I make. Start watching the bay for one of
these.

I also have a 6X spindle speeder. perfect for 1/16 EMs, Scored this
on eBay also.

Karl, can you post their pictures or somewhere where I can look at
them. I would like to find one for my mill, and so far I have not
found anything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

For aluminum work I tend to run from 24 -30K Some stuff goes faster at 35K,
but the brush life in the motor drops to half when the speed control is set
to max. I have been keeping an eye out for a speeder, but my spindle is a
Kwik 200. Speeders due show up from time to time, but its going to be
harder to find one to fit my spindle. Max big motor spindle speed on the
Hurco is 3500 if I recall correctly. Its going to be hard to find a Kwik
200 that will do 8.5X. I am looking at a variety of mount ideas for
alternative spindles for detail aluminum work. Also, it seems counter
intuitive to fire up that 4HP spindle motor to use less than 0.5HP of it.
Still "the answer is out there."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The answer is to hang an auxiliary spindle on the Hurco - exactly as
Iggy did with his Bridgeport. These are rigid machines, hanging an aux
spindle (router) 8" offset from the main spindle will not impact
rigidity for the cutting loads you'll be using the aux spindle for. In
Iggys case all he had to do was machine a straightforward aluminum
mounting bracket that clamps to the Bridgeport quill and to the router
body. Easy project.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes... I am looking for an opportunity to use it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 5, 10:31*am, Ignoramus25384 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-01-05, Karl Townsend wrote:

if you get a quality high speed spindle for that hurco, you won't use
your little machine again.

I don't use it often but i scored a high speed spindle that chucks
right into the taper 40 tool holder. Does 30K and can be used as a
tool change on any part I make. Start watching the bay for one of
these.

I also have a 6X spindle speeder. perfect for 1/16 EMs, Scored this
on eBay also.

Karl, can you post their pictures or somewhere where I can look at
them. I would like to find one for my mill, and so far I have not
found anything.

I too would like to see it and know the brand.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Have Bob send you some sample 3D engraving G-code to play with. That
0.020" engraving cutter I gave you should be good to start with.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes. But even my Bridgeport spindle works well for engraving (though
it is a bit slow). I think that if I had to engrave much more, or do
carving, I would use this spindle. The cutter you gave me is awesome.
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25384 fired this volley in
:

To use this sort of stuff, though, I better motorize my knee. Which I
want to do.

'Splain me to it (Lucy) why you need a motorized knee to use a high-speed
spindle?

Especially the speed increasers can easily work up and down with the Z-
axis.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Ignoramus25384 fired this volley in
:

To use this sort of stuff, though, I better motorize my knee. Which I
want to do.

'Splain me to it (Lucy) why you need a motorized knee to use a high-speed
spindle?

Especially the speed increasers can easily work up and down with the Z-
axis.

LLoyd

He doesn't generally. The cutters he'd use with a high speed spindle
will rarely have more length of cut than a fraction of an inch and it's
unlikely he'll have a task that will require machining in multiple deep
compartments in one setup. Basically the 5" of quill travel is plenty,
and the knee only needs to be manually adjusted once for the job before
zeroing on the part.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25384 fired this volley in
:

To use this sort of stuff, though, I better motorize my knee. Which I
want to do.

'Splain me to it (Lucy) why you need a motorized knee to use a high-speed
spindle?

Especially the speed increasers can easily work up and down with the Z-
axis.

LLoyd

1) To move the knee faster
2) To not mess up tool offsets.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25384 fired this volley in
:

1) To move the knee faster
2) To not mess up tool offsets.

Ok... (I guess). I move the knee ONCE at the beginning of a program -- I
just drop the tool to Z=0, put a piece of thin tissue paper on the work,
and raise the knee until the tool "bites" the paper. done.

Why would you mess up your tool offsets? The knee crank has a dial...???

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25384 fired this volley in
:

1) To move the knee faster
2) To not mess up tool offsets.

Ok... (I guess). I move the knee ONCE at the beginning of a program -- I
just drop the tool to Z=0, put a piece of thin tissue paper on the work,
and raise the knee until the tool "bites" the paper. done.

Why would you mess up your tool offsets? The knee crank has a dial...???

Well, I can have a program with tool changes that uses a tool table. If
I just move the knee by hand, tool offsets will be incorrect. I am
very tired right now, it is a little hard for me to explain.

I have a DC servo motor with a gearbox that I got cheaply, it will not
be an expensive project;.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley in
:

1) To move the knee faster
2) To not mess up tool offsets.

Ok... (I guess). I move the knee ONCE at the beginning of a program -- I
just drop the tool to Z=0, put a piece of thin tissue paper on the work,
and raise the knee until the tool "bites" the paper. done.

Why would you mess up your tool offsets? The knee crank has a dial...???

Well, I can have a program with tool changes that uses a tool table. If
I just move the knee by hand, tool offsets will be incorrect. I am
very tired right now, it is a little hard for me to explain.

I have a DC servo motor with a gearbox that I got cheaply, it will not
be an expensive project;.

If you set your tool offsets with a tool setter rather than touching off
on the work, every tool will be in position at a common point. You
just program all the tool tips from that common point. Most tool
holders have an index line or base line that you can use for the datum
line for measuring the height.
A tool setter is not too hard to make, a height gauge and surface plate
and holder to mount the tool.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:51:50 -0600, Ignoramus25384

On 2011-01-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25384 fired this volley in
:

1) To move the knee faster
2) To not mess up tool offsets.

Ok... (I guess). I move the knee ONCE at the beginning of a program -- I
just drop the tool to Z=0, put a piece of thin tissue paper on the work,
and raise the knee until the tool "bites" the paper. done.

Why would you mess up your tool offsets? The knee crank has a dial...???

Well, I can have a program with tool changes that uses a tool table. If
I just move the knee by hand, tool offsets will be incorrect. I am
very tired right now, it is a little hard for me to explain.

I have a DC servo motor with a gearbox that I got cheaply, it will not
be an expensive project;.

I'd suggest a pair of air cylinders also. Turn on air to
counterbalance table weight while moving. The area of the pistons has
to be more than 7 sq.in. to lift a 700 lb. table.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-01-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

My mill has air support for the knee built in. If I supply it with
air, moving the knee is physically easy.