Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal thieves target backflow valves

Backflow valves are new targets of choice for metal thieves

by Brian New / KENS 5
Posted on December 10, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Updated today at 7:51 PM

SAN ANTONIO - Metal thieves have found a new lucrative target in San Antonio
as local plumbers say they've noticed an increase in the number of brass
backflow prevention valves stolen.

Thursday, the VA San Antonio Clinic off of Henderson Pass was without water
for several hours as a new backflow valve was installed.

The night before the clinic's old valve was stolen.

These valves, that are often found above ground, are used to keep
contaminated water from going back into the city's pipes.

However, thieves sell them as scrap metal.

Chris Boubel of Guarantee Plumbing said the victims of this new crime are
often unsuspecting.

"At least fifty-percent of those that call us think they just have a water
leak," he said. "We show up and have to inform them that it's not a leak,
but you actually had your backflow devise removed."

Boubel said a residential backflow that's attached to a sprinkler system
costs several hundred dollars to replace, while a larger commercial one can
cost several thousand dollars.

http://www.kens5.com/news/Backflow-v...111695549.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Courtesy tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/3yjt8ql

That could really hurt, if your backflow preventer
was stolen. Expensive to replace. Time to find out
who is buying the stolen property, and shut em
down.

Looks easy enough to steal. Two pipe unions, and
off you go.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chomp Noamsky" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Chomp Noamsky" wrote in message

One of the video systems I installed nailed a guy removing the brass
downspout water uides and brass sidewalk drains from around a building.
Moron. Time date, the bicycle he was riding and even showed him getting
tools out of his bag.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Who gives a crap?

On 12/11/2010 12:01 AM, Chomp Noamsky wrote:
[...]

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Certasinly not me. Nobody else should either, for that matter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
"Chomp Noamsky" wrote in message

One of the video systems I installed nailed a guy removing the brass
downspout water uides and brass sidewalk drains from around a building.
Moron. Time date, the bicycle he was riding and even showed him getting
tools out of his bag.

Cameras are just about everywhere these days, you would have to be pretty
stupid. Some thieves get away with removing guard rails off the highway, but
I always enjoy the "fried to a crisp" stories of copper wire thieves.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Chomp Noamsky" writes:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
"Chomp Noamsky" wrote in message

One of the video systems I installed nailed a guy removing the brass
downspout water uides and brass sidewalk drains from around a
building. Moron. Time date, the bicycle he was riding and even
showed him getting tools out of his bag.

Cameras are just about everywhere these days, you would have to be
pretty stupid. Some thieves get away with removing guard rails off the
highway, but I always enjoy the "fried to a crisp" stories of copper
wire thieves.

Hmmm.... deliberately dangerous booby traps are illegal, and have led to
substantial liability judgements. How long before the family of a copper
thief files a liability suit on the grounds that a company failed to
emply adequate safeguards? Almost like an attractive nuisance suit....

Somehow, I've got a sinking feeling that there will be a followup to
this post with a cite to a suit that's already been filed somewhere.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Chomp Noamsky" writes:

Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Certasinly not me. Nobody else should either, for that matter.

Ya know, I just really don't care about all this apathy these days.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 18:56:33 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

"Chomp Noamsky" writes:

Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Certasinly not me. Nobody else should either, for that matter.

Ya know, I just really don't care about all this apathy these days.

Q: What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?

A: I don't know and I don't care.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Chomp Noamsky" writes:

Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Certasinly not me. Nobody else should either, for that matter.

Ya know, I just really don't care about all this apathy these days.

Q: What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?

A: I don't know and I don't care.

Oh, that's good. Consider it stolen.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 18:56:03 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

"Chomp Noamsky" writes:

[...]

Indeed. Its far safer liability wise to simply stake out the local and
when the dude(s) drag out the tools and start unbolting ****..simply
shoot the miscreants until they expire and lay a piece of pipe in one of
their hands...

" I caught someone stealing my plumbing and when I told them to
stop..they attacked me, and I had to shoot them and I think they are
dead!. Please send an ambulance and the police to ......"

When they arrive, simply tell them you had to shoot them when they
decided to attack you and you really need to talk to a lawyer. Then shut
up.

Gunner

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news "Chomp Noamsky" wrote in message

[...]

My understanding is that the forensics guys are smart enough to notice
your footprints, and the presence of blood between their hand and the
pipe, and draw the obvious conclusion.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Chomp Noamsky" writes:

[...]

Your foot prints would be all over the scene as you "attempted to give
first aid to the two people"

If he died with the pipe in his hand..there may or may not be blood. And
there would be at least 2 sets of finger prints..his and yours. You
picked it up and tossed it so they couldnt pick it up and hit you with
it if they were only wounded.

Sometimes..its just that easy to defend yourself from felons hell bent
on harming you and yours..physically AND economically.

Gunner

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Chomp Noamsky" writes:

[...]

Out here in the sticks, they don't even fingerprint unless they have a
perp in custody. Burglaries aren't even printed. Amazes me. Murders
are few, so I'm not sure how good the forensic scientists are here.
They sure don't get much practice.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Chomp Noamsky" writes:

Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Certasinly not me. Nobody else should either, for that matter.

Ya know, I just really don't care about all this apathy these days.

Q: What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?

A: I don't know and I don't care.

Oh, that's good. Consider it stolen.

Not a problem. I heisted it, too. Sigs belong to everyone, sans
copyright.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/11/2010 07:56 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Hmmm.... deliberately dangerous booby traps are illegal, and have led to
substantial liability judgements. How long before the family of a copper
thief files a liability suit on the grounds that a company failed to
emply adequate safeguards? Almost like an attractive nuisance suit....

Sure, I THINK it was in St. Louis, but could have been somewhere else.
Some kids climbed into a substation and got fried. Their parents sued
on the grounds that it was POSSIBLE to get inside. the kids had to go
past hazard signs every 6 feet, and climb an 18 foot fence with
something like razor wire on the top, but that wasn't enough warning?
I do think their suit was thrown out.

Jon

Darn thieves JP Home Repair 1 November 25th 10 06:42 PM
stop & waste valves, globe-type valves, and pressure regulator valves mm Home Repair 3 June 25th 10 03:40 AM
Backflow Valves Alan Smithee Home Repair 1 June 30th 05 10:42 PM
Header tank ball valves: metal or plastic? OldScrawn UK diy 4 March 22nd 04 10:51 PM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 07:32 PM