Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Digital Machinist - electronic version

Just subscribed. Can't download or print.
Village Press claims copyright etc.

My questions:
1. I can copy pages of the print version for use in the shop. Why
not the digital version?

2. I can download and save and print the digital version of Circuit
Cellar magazine, why not DM?

I found that I CAN capture the screen image and print / save same for
the pages I want which solves my problem for now, but I'd much rather
save a pdf so I can refer to ANY article at will, without having to
link to the publisher's site.

Bit backward, no?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark F wrote:

Just subscribed. Can't download or print.
Village Press claims copyright etc.

My questions:
1. I can copy pages of the print version for use in the shop. Why
not the digital version?

2. I can download and save and print the digital version of Circuit
Cellar magazine, why not DM?

I found that I CAN capture the screen image and print / save same for
the pages I want which solves my problem for now, but I'd much rather
save a pdf so I can refer to ANY article at will, without having to
link to the publisher's site.

Bit backward, no?

Yes, backward. Cancel your subscription and let them know exactly why.
Every publication I have looked at with an electronic version provides a
PDF you can download and archive, so you can refer to it at any time and
place just like the hard copy version. I would never pay for online only
access to content that may not be accessible tomorrow and isn't
accessible in places I may be with no 'net access.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/08/2010 09:33 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Just subscribed. Can't download or print.
Village Press claims copyright etc.

My questions:
1. I can copy pages of the print version for use in the shop. Why
not the digital version?

2. I can download and save and print the digital version of Circuit
Cellar magazine, why not DM?

I found that I CAN capture the screen image and print / save same for
the pages I want which solves my problem for now, but I'd much rather
save a pdf so I can refer to ANY article at will, without having to
link to the publisher's site.

Bit backward, no?

Yes, backward. Cancel your subscription and let them know exactly why.

Yup. It's called a "free market economy".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark F wrote:
Just subscribed. Can't download or print.
Village Press claims copyright etc.

My questions:
1. I can copy pages of the print version for use in the shop. Why
not the digital version?

Because someone will post the digital version on
the internet and then a significant portion of his
customers would stop buying the print and digital
versions.

2. I can download and save and print the digital version of Circuit
Cellar magazine, why not DM?

Probably because Circuit Cellar ad revenue is much
greater than Digital Machinist. My wife sends
Steve C. a check for about $2400 every month for
the JK microsystems ads so I have some experience
in that matter (:

If you want to talk to the owner of Village Press,
send me an email. He's a friend of mine and I can
put you in touch with him.

I found that I CAN capture the screen image and print / save same for
the pages I want which solves my problem for now, but I'd much rather
save a pdf so I can refer to ANY article at will, without having to
link to the publisher's site.

Install Cute PDF and print to that.

Bit backward, no?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 8, 7:11*am, Mark F wrote:
Just subscribed. *Can't download or print.
Village Press claims copyright etc.

My questions:
1. I can copy pages of the print version for use in the shop. *Why
not the digital version?

2. I can download and save and print the digital version of Circuit
Cellar magazine, why not DM?

I found that I CAN capture the screen image and print / save same for
the pages I want which solves my problem for now, but I'd much rather
save a pdf so I can refer to ANY article at will, without having to
link to the publisher's site.

Bit backward, no?

Mark, I just tested this procedure. Using Windows XP. I opened a new
text file in Open Office.

Then used the Fn key plus prt sc key to copy the screen to the clip
board.
Then bring up the Open Office text page and paste to the page. Enter
key to get to the bottom of the image.

Then went to a different screen and did the same capture and paste
procedure. Did with three different screens so there were two pages on
the text page.

Then used the "export to PDF" option to save the text file as a PDF.

Brought up the PDF file using Explorer and there were the screen
captures in the PDF file.

Not as nice as virgin PDF display of the magazine, but pretty readable
at 100% size.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark F wrote:

Bit backward, no?

Yes, very.

I have subscribed to Circuit Cellar for years in pdf form. If I couldn't, I wouldn't
since I seldom throw things away and I ran out of space years ago.

Recently EAA released past Sport Aviation magazines in PDF free to members. Even
magazines before my membership started.

This year I'm letting my subscription to National Geographic expire. I've recieved that
since the glory days of the Gemini program. Part of it is because it went way left and
other is I don't have room to store it anymore. Killing trees to send me a printed on
glossy paper magazine sure seems a step backward for a magazine that has gone tree hugger.
If they offered PDF with a reduction in cost based on the economics, I might stay, if they
offered me the ablity to download all the mags I've recieved over the years and then
recycle my paper versions, I'd be all over that.

Don't get me wrong, I love paper books, I love paper magazines, even newspapers but I'm
willing to give up some tactile sensation and random access capability to have the media
in a form I can manipulate, store, and view on an electronic device.

I'd cancel and tell George Bulliss that it just wasn't good enough.

In fairness to George, a nice guy by the way, I've met him, he is serving a niche market
and I suspect he fears a significant part of his subscriber base can't be trusted.

I've met a lot of his base at Names, the exibitors, likely his customers sure seemed like
stand up people to me.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 07:11:45 -0800, Mark F wrote:

Just subscribed. Can't download or print.
Village Press claims copyright etc.

My questions:
1. I can copy pages of the print version for use in the shop. Why
not the digital version?

2. I can download and save and print the digital version of Circuit
Cellar magazine, why not DM?

I found that I CAN capture the screen image and print / save same for
the pages I want which solves my problem for now, but I'd much rather
save a pdf so I can refer to ANY article at will, without having to
link to the publisher's site.

Bit backward, no?

Dunno 'bout DM, but most sites which do this are counting on selling
you copies instead of letting you print them. Copyright and/or greed.
You pick.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 12:33:59 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Mark F wrote:

[...]

Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuilding mags are $37/yr. Online access
to them, plus some more videos, costs $5/mo, an additional $60/yr.
FTN

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"KD7HB" wrote in message
On Nov 8, 7:11 am, Mark F wrote:
[...]

Is it searchable? Sounds like image files in a doc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 9, 8:26*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"KD7HB" wrote in message

On Nov 8, 7:11 am, Mark F wrote:
[...]

Just images in a file.

Paul