Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Millrite Spindle Saga

In August 2010, I dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled the spindle on my
Millrite MVI vertical mill. The original postings were titled "Millrite
MVI spindle bearing repair - first report".

I took notes and some pictures as work progressed, and the result (the
second report I suppose) has been uploaded to the Dropbox.

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga.txt
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo1.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo2.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo3.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo4.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo5.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo6.JPG

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 8:11*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In August 2010, I dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled the spindle on my
Millrite MVI vertical mill. *The original postings were titled "Millrite
MVI spindle bearing repair - first report". *

I took notes and some pictures as work progressed, and the result (the
second report I suppose) has been uploaded to the Dropbox. *

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga.txt
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo1.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo2.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo3.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo4.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo5.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo6.JPG

Joe Gwinn

That was a nice write-up! I wonder if you could have included pg 38
from the Maintence Manual that you obtained from D.C. Morrison. That
might have helped the story. Maybe you didn't include it because it
was copyrighted.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:11:19 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In August 2010, I dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled the spindle on my
Millrite MVI vertical mill. The original postings were titled "Millrite
MVI spindle bearing repair - first report".

I took notes and some pictures as work progressed, and the result (the
second report I suppose) has been uploaded to the Dropbox.

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga.txt
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo1.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo2.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo3.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo4.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo5.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo6.JPG

Joe Gwinn

I enjoyed those pictures and commentary.

Good job!!

xman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

I don't recall that it's copyrighted, but why page 38 versus the other
pages?

It would require a very good scan to allow sufficient detail to be seen.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:08:58 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Oct 20, 10:16*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,
*"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

Yes, interesting project.

No matter, it was a good story. I hope that you will tell us if you
discover the cause of the run-out problem.

My SWAG is that (if it's not a bent spindle) it's play in the bearings
which might be taken up with shims, and that he already knows that.
But I doubt it's the simple procedure it sounds.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,

*"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

You had mentioned items on pg 38 a few times early in the story when
you talked about how the motor was attached, etc. I thought that pg
38 might have the parts breakdown of the machine. It could have
helped to see what you faced.

It does have a simple parts breakdown drawing, as do many of the other
pages mentioned.

Basically there is a horizontal plate that at one end is bolted to the
millrite head and at the other end the motor mount is bolted to (with
provision to change the distance between spindle and motor rotation
axes, so one can change the spindle speed by moving the drive belt up
and down between cone pulley grooves).

No matter, it was a good story. I hope that you will tell us if you
discover the cause of the run-out problem.

Thanks. I'm still figuring out how to measure runout despite the use of
imperfect (=cheap) tools. One cannot improve what one cannot measure,
so this step is essential. The beginning of this process was posted in
September 2010 in the thread titled "Mathematical analysis of Rollie's
Dad's Method". I had been distracted by my day job, but will soon
return to matters of runout.

Joe Gwinn