Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Millrite Spindle Saga

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:08:58 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Oct 20, 10:16*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,
*"Denis G." wrote:

On Oct 20, 8:11*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In August 2010, I dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled the spindle on my
Millrite MVI vertical mill. *The original postings were titled "Millrite
MVI spindle bearing repair - first report". *

I took notes and some pictures as work progressed, and the result (the
second report I suppose) has been uploaded to the Dropbox. *

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga.txt
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo1.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo2.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo3.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo4.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo5.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Millrite_Spindle_Saga_Photo6.JPG

Joe Gwinn

That was a nice write-up! *

Yes, interesting project.

No matter, it was a good story. I hope that you will tell us if you
discover the cause of the run-out problem.

My SWAG is that (if it's not a bent spindle) it's play in the bearings
which might be taken up with shims, and that he already knows that.
But I doubt it's the simple procedure it sounds.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.