Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Millrite MVI spindle bearings may need replacement

I'm hearing worrying noises from the spindle of my Millrite model MVI vertical
mil. I have the manual, which has some drawings, but it isn't clear to me how
one gets the spindle apart and back together. For one thing, the various
drawings I have don't really fit together to match what I see on the mill. I
know people have replaced these bearings without too much trouble, but some
guidance from the survivors would be appreciated before I try.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I'm hearing worrying noises from the spindle of my Millrite model MVI vertical
mil. I have the manual, which has some drawings, but it isn't clear to me how
one gets the spindle apart and back together. For one thing, the various
drawings I have don't really fit together to match what I see on the mill. I
know people have replaced these bearings without too much trouble, but some
guidance from the survivors would be appreciated before I try.

Are you sure it is the main spindle bearings, or could it be some
smaller bearing somewhere in the head? Some machines have additional
bearings even on the spindle to prevent the top extension from whipping.
but those are very inexpensive commodity bearings.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I'm hearing worrying noises from the spindle of my Millrite model MVI
vertical
mil. I have the manual, which has some drawings, but it isn't clear to me
how
one gets the spindle apart and back together. For one thing, the various
drawings I have don't really fit together to match what I see on the mill.
know people have replaced these bearings without too much trouble, but some
guidance from the survivors would be appreciated before I try.

Are you sure it is the main spindle bearings, or could it be some
smaller bearing somewhere in the head? Some machines have additional
bearings even on the spindle to prevent the top extension from whipping.
but those are very inexpensive commodity bearings.

I am sure of nothing except that if I take the belt off and let the motor run,
no funny noises. Hmm. I last did that when a prior new noise happened a few
months ago. I should repeat the test. I've been busy at work, and had not
been using the Millrite all that much.

Anyway, I think it's time to take the spindle apart, if only to clean and
regrease it. For all I know, it has never been taken apart since it was made in
1965.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I am sure of nothing except that if I take the belt off and let the motor run,
no funny noises. Hmm. I last did that when a prior new noise happened a few
months ago. I should repeat the test. I've been busy at work, and had not
been using the Millrite all that much.

Anyway, I think it's time to take the spindle apart, if only to clean and
regrease it. For all I know, it has never been taken apart since it was made in
1965.

If it is similar to a Bridgeport, there is a backgear assembly, and a
direct drive clutch. If so, you can disengage all the clutches and
gears and see what makes noise when you spin it.
When I got my Bridgeport 1J head, all the bearings in it were massively
shot except the main spindle bearings. It didn't make bad noises when I
ran it, but I was glad I opened it up and took a look. Some of the
smaller bearings had crumbled the ball spacers and thrown off their
shields. Would have caused a HUGE disaster in no time if I hadn't dug
into it.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I am sure of nothing except that if I take the belt off and let the motor
run,
no funny noises. Hmm. I last did that when a prior new noise happened a
few
months ago. I should repeat the test. I've been busy at work, and had
not
been using the Millrite all that much.

Anyway, I think it's time to take the spindle apart, if only to clean and
regrease it. For all I know, it has never been taken apart since it was
made in
1965.

If it is similar to a Bridgeport, there is a backgear assembly, and a
direct drive clutch. If so, you can disengage all the clutches and
gears and see what makes noise when you spin it.

The Millrite has no such components. The quill and spindle are simple direct
drive from a V-belt.

When I got my Bridgeport 1J head, all the bearings in it were massively
shot except the main spindle bearings. It didn't make bad noises when I
ran it, but I was glad I opened it up and took a look. Some of the
smaller bearings had crumbled the ball spacers and thrown off their
shields. Would have caused a HUGE disaster in no time if I hadn't dug
into it.

I have been getting advice on the Burke Mills group (Yahoo), and will probably
disassemble the quill and spindle next weekend.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-01, Jon Elson wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I'm hearing worrying noises from the spindle of my Millrite model MVI vertical
mil. I have the manual, which has some drawings, but it isn't clear to me how
one gets the spindle apart and back together. For one thing, the various
drawings I have don't really fit together to match what I see on the mill. I
know people have replaced these bearings without too much trouble, but some
guidance from the survivors would be appreciated before I try.

Are you sure it is the main spindle bearings, or could it be some
smaller bearing somewhere in the head? Some machines have additional
bearings even on the spindle to prevent the top extension from whipping.
but those are very inexpensive commodity bearings.

And if the Millrite has a variable speed pulley set, you start
getting noise when the Delrin bushings inside the movable pulley half
(on both the spindle and the motor shaft) get worn. Especially so if
the Delrin jacket on the key follower in the shafts.

A quick google Search turns up a lot of hits on the MVI relative
to spindle bearings -- and I consider it unlikely that there would be
that many with bad/failing bearings.

However -- I seem to have come across a suggestion that it is
fixed speed belt, in which case this does not apply.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2010-08-01, Jon Elson wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I'm hearing worrying noises from the spindle of my Millrite model MVI
vertical
mil. I have the manual, which has some drawings, but it isn't clear to me
how
one gets the spindle apart and back together. For one thing, the various
drawings I have don't really fit together to match what I see on the mill.
know people have replaced these bearings without too much trouble, but
some
guidance from the survivors would be appreciated before I try.

Are you sure it is the main spindle bearings, or could it be some
smaller bearing somewhere in the head? Some machines have additional
bearings even on the spindle to prevent the top extension from whipping.
but those are very inexpensive commodity bearings.

This will be checked.

And if the Millrite has a variable speed pulley set, you start
getting noise when the Delrin bushings inside the movable pulley half
(on both the spindle and the motor shaft) get worn. Especially so if
the Delrin jacket on the key follower in the shafts.

A quick google Search turns up a lot of hits on the MVI relative
to spindle bearings -- and I consider it unlikely that there would be
that many with bad/failing bearings.

However -- I seem to have come across a suggestion that it is
fixed speed belt, in which case this does not apply.

It is fixed speed, with a stepped cone pulley, all driven from a VFD. No Reeves
Drive.

Joe Gwinn