Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Millrite MVI spindle bearings may need replacement

In article ,

On 2010-08-01, Jon Elson wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I'm hearing worrying noises from the spindle of my Millrite model MVI
vertical
mil. I have the manual, which has some drawings, but it isn't clear to me
how
one gets the spindle apart and back together. For one thing, the various
drawings I have don't really fit together to match what I see on the mill.
know people have replaced these bearings without too much trouble, but
some
guidance from the survivors would be appreciated before I try.

Are you sure it is the main spindle bearings, or could it be some
smaller bearing somewhere in the head? Some machines have additional
bearings even on the spindle to prevent the top extension from whipping.
but those are very inexpensive commodity bearings.

This will be checked.

And if the Millrite has a variable speed pulley set, you start
getting noise when the Delrin bushings inside the movable pulley half
(on both the spindle and the motor shaft) get worn. Especially so if
the Delrin jacket on the key follower in the shafts.

A quick google Search turns up a lot of hits on the MVI relative
to spindle bearings -- and I consider it unlikely that there would be
that many with bad/failing bearings.

However -- I seem to have come across a suggestion that it is
fixed speed belt, in which case this does not apply.

It is fixed speed, with a stepped cone pulley, all driven from a VFD. No Reeves
Drive.

Joe Gwinn