Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mystery object - what are these things

maybe someone here can tell

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83060

--
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
maybe someone here can tell

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83060

--
Bill - www.wbnoble.com

Please provide us with your username and password so we can look at them.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

really? it needs a user name and password? how odd --- ok, let's do it this
way:

here is a link to a photo of the things
http://www.wbnoble.com/mysteries/j5223-13.JPG

here is the text I posted at that site asking what they are for:

These are marked "J522-13", the shaft attached to the knurled knob is 1/2
inch diameter, the bore is .625 for .200 inches, 1/2 inch thereafter. The
knurled knob/shaft is captive. The rectangular steel piece is 1inch wide,
1.490 high, 3 inches front to back. Treated to produce black oxide, so these
were nicely made, but what are they for?

and this

I don't think more views will help. The large knurled thing does not turn,
it is a machined part of a 1/2 inch shaft that has a flat milled on it. The
'other thumb screw' tightens against that flat part. A pin, which you cannot
see in the photo, retains the shaft in the bore so I can't pull it out.

I don't think it is part of a punch press, it's a bit big to be associated
with ammunition, it just baffles me. Worse, I have two of them, whatever
they are, and I'm afraid they are going to start breeding, and then I won't
know what anything is for....

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
maybe someone here can tell

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83060

--
Bill - www.wbnoble.com

Please provide us with your username and password so we can look at them.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

I am going to guess that the pin was a later addition and that the shaft
with the knob was some sort of adjustable stop for a tool or fixture. At
some point, somebody got tired of the thing slipping and drilled a hole to
install the pin.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The presence of a part number but absence of a manufacturer name/logo as
well as the overall look, leads me to believe these were custom made
tools. The number, obviously, to identify the tool. Probably something
used for locating something or other during an assembly operation.

I've seen lots of things in surplus outlets, and estate sales, that were
a total mystery. I like to admire and ponder, but usually walk away
without a clue....

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-14, Bill Noble wrote:
maybe someone here can tell

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83060

I can't! The site requires me to register and log in to view
anything, and I refuse to do so.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-14, Bill Noble wrote:
really? it needs a user name and password? how odd --- ok, let's do it this
way:

here is a link to a photo of the things
http://www.wbnoble.com/mysteries/j5223-13.JPG

O.K. Now that I don't need to register, I've looked at the
photo.

here is the text I posted at that site asking what they are for:

These are marked "J522-13", the shaft attached to the knurled knob is 1/2
inch diameter, the bore is .625 for .200 inches, 1/2 inch thereafter. The
knurled knob/shaft is captive. The rectangular steel piece is 1inch wide,
1.490 high, 3 inches front to back. Treated to produce black oxide, so these
were nicely made, but what are they for?

and this

I don't think more views will help. The large knurled thing does not turn,
it is a machined part of a 1/2 inch shaft that has a flat milled on it. The
'other thumb screw' tightens against that flat part. A pin, which you cannot
see in the photo, retains the shaft in the bore so I can't pull it out.

Hmm ... some observations:

1) The hole in which the knurled part is located appears to be
teardrop shaped, with the thumbscrew coming in through the
narrow end.

2) The thumbscrew's impression on the flat looks very like those
on high school chem lab hardware from the mid 1950s. For that
matter -- the body looks like something originally designed to
fit on a chem lab stand with a 1/2" upright rod.

3) There seems to be some discoloration in the center of the end
of the other one (which is knurled knob side down). Any clue
as to what that might be? It looks sort of like a confinement
for detonating something -- like the paper caps which used to be
common in toy guns.

4) What material is the knurled knob? Test it with a magnet
to see whether it is a normal steel, or some non-magnetic
material.

5) Given the anti-rotation flat, it is not clear why the knob
is knurled. Perhaps to align the flat the first time when it is
assembled.

6) It looks as though the end with the thumbscrew was sawed off
from a longer piece with a hacksaw -- and perhaps cleaned up a
bit with a file. It does not have the finish of a commercially
manufactured part.

I don't think it is part of a punch press, it's a bit big to be associated
with ammunition,

I agree with both observations.

it just baffles me. Worse, I have two of them, whatever
they are, and I'm afraid they are going to start breeding, and then I won't
know what anything is for....

If they haven't bred yet, I think you are safe. :-)

It might be used as a pill press -- but would be better with
some leverage to increase the pressure.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2010-10-14, Bill Noble wrote:
[...]

**********************
that is just an artifact of the photo - the holes are round - the knurled
thing is machined on the end of a 1/2 inch shaft, it goes through a 1/2 inch
hole which widens out at the end as noted above

2) The thumbscrew's impression on the flat looks very like those
on high school chem lab hardware from the mid 1950s. For that
matter -- the body looks like something originally designed to
fit on a chem lab stand with a 1/2" upright rod.

that's not impossible, but I think it unlikely - the metal is pretty heavy
for something on a chem lab stand. All that thumb screw does is press
against the flat on the 1/2 inch shaft

3) There seems to be some discoloration in the center of the end
of the other one (which is knurled knob side down). Any clue
as to what that might be? It looks sort of like a confinement
for detonating something -- like the paper caps which used to be
common in toy guns.

looks like a shiny spot on the dimple left after parting off in a lathe - I
originally thought it might be from doing whatever it was that it did, but
upon further reflection I don't think so.

4) What material is the knurled knob? Test it with a magnet
to see whether it is a normal steel, or some non-magnetic
material.

It is all normal steel, it's just that the shiny knurled knob is polished,
the other stuff is chemically blackened.

5) Given the anti-rotation flat, it is not clear why the knob
is knurled. Perhaps to align the flat the first time when it is
assembled.

or maybe it's for beauty - I agree, it makes no sense

6) It looks as though the end with the thumbscrew was sawed off
from a longer piece with a hacksaw -- and perhaps cleaned up a
bit with a file. It does not have the finish of a commercially
manufactured part.

the cut part is less finished, as you noted, I think it was probably a metal
cutting band saw that made the cut - these do not look hand made. The part
numbers are vaguely reminiscent of Lockheed part numbers, but most of their
special tooling began with an "L"

I don't think it is part of a punch press, it's a bit big to be
associated
with ammunition,

I agree with both observations.

it just baffles me. Worse, I have two of them, whatever
they are, and I'm afraid they are going to start breeding, and then I
won't
know what anything is for....

If they haven't bred yet, I think you are safe. :-)

It might be used as a pill press -- but would be better with
some leverage to increase the pressure.

I tend to believe that it has to do with aligning or holding something - if
it was a press, the end of the shaft would have to be the same size as the
hole, and it is not. Also, that little ring around the hole, which is
visible in the photo should be a hint - but it isn't telling me anything
useful - why would you machine that ring?

Enjoy,
DoN.

Answers interspersed with the questions above

mystery object bof UK diy 14 August 15th 10 01:21 PM
Mystery object bof UK diy 22 September 10th 09 11:13 PM
Mystery object Ignoramus9483 Metalworking 13 July 29th 09 05:29 AM
Mystery DIY Object [email protected] UK diy 15 August 8th 08 02:33 PM
Mystery tools - what the heck are these things william_b_noble Metalworking 1 March 20th 05 08:38 AM