Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best way to mount a subwoofer on a CNC mill

I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus6500 wrote:
I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Ideally in a corner such that the floor and two walls act like a horn,

That may not be the answer you are looking for.

--
Al Dykes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:06:56 -0500, Ignoramus6500
wrote:

I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Set it on top of the mini-fridge.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-07, Al Dykes wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus6500 wrote:
I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Ideally in a corner such that the floor and two walls act like a horn,

That may not be the answer you are looking for.

Floor would be tough, due to tough garage environment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

Sub-woof of course! In a corner formed by two walls and the ceiling.
G (ducking incoming...)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

Sub-woof of course! In a corner formed by two walls and the ceiling.

And in the sub-basment as well! ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/6/2010 10:06 PM, Ignoramus6500 wrote:
I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

I'd mount it midway between the curb feeler

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Yer puttin' out the lows to harmonize with the higher frequencies made
by the cutter, are ya, Ig?

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

Sub-woof of course! In a corner formed by two walls and the ceiling.
G (ducking incoming...)

"BAILIFF!..."

In the garage, the thin walls will reverberate and share all that
thumping with all his neighbors. Won't -he- be the talk of the
neighborhood?

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:47:42 -0500, Ignoramus6500

On 2010-10-07, Al Dykes wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus6500 wrote:
I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Ideally in a corner such that the floor and two walls act like a horn,

That may not be the answer you are looking for.

Floor would be tough, due to tough garage environment.

Think "handle-tie garbage bag".

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Yer puttin' out the lows to harmonize with the higher frequencies made
by the cutter, are ya, Ig?

I want to watch youtube while machining stuff!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Yer puttin' out the lows to harmonize with the higher frequencies made
by the cutter, are ya, Ig?

I want to watch youtube while machining stuff!

Youtube or X-tube? What do you need a subwoofer for? Youtube likely
only uses the telephone freq range, 300Hz-3kHz.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Yer puttin' out the lows to harmonize with the higher frequencies made
by the cutter, are ya, Ig?

I want to watch youtube while machining stuff!

Youtube or X-tube? What do you need a subwoofer for? Youtube likely
only uses the telephone freq range, 300Hz-3kHz.

No, it does use lower frequencies, I just checked with the subwoofer downstairs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

That's quite light for a base driver. How much does the cabinet weigh?

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Was that you that stopped behind me at the traffic light yesterday?
I thought the car was ailing, so much loose sheetmetal was resonating

--
I can see November from my front porch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-08, RBnDFW wrote:
wrote:

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Was that you that stopped behind me at the traffic light yesterday?
I thought the car was ailing, so much loose sheetmetal was resonating

Doubtfully a car can hold up well, with those giant subwoofers mounted
to play rap music.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-08, wrote:
wrote:

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Was that you that stopped behind me at the traffic light yesterday?
I thought the car was ailing, so much loose sheetmetal was resonating

Doubtfully a car can hold up well, with those giant subwoofers mounted
to play rap music.

I think not. This was a 10-year old Altima and it sounded awful.
Took me a minute to realize that it wasn't a defective exhaust, but the
interior and exterior panels resonating, and not happy about doing so.

Will a Bridgeport, tin resonance should be a non-issue.

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30461 wrote:

No, it does use lower frequencies, I just checked with the subwoofer downstairs.

Great, you can rattle the walls at your neighbors house. I hate hearing a sub woofer half
a mile a way.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 20:32:22 -0400, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus30461 wrote:

No, it does use lower frequencies, I just checked with the subwoofer
downstairs.

Great, you can rattle the walls at your neighbors house. I hate hearing a
sub woofer half a mile a way.

I hate them even more half a block away! ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-08, RBnDFW wrote:
wrote:

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Was that you that stopped behind me at the traffic light yesterday? I
thought the car was ailing, so much loose sheetmetal was resonating

Doubtfully a car can hold up well, with those giant subwoofers mounted to
play rap music.

Rap is NOT music!!!

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-08, RBnDFW wrote:
wrote:

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

Was that you that stopped behind me at the traffic light yesterday? I
thought the car was ailing, so much loose sheetmetal was resonating

Doubtfully a car can hold up well, with those giant subwoofers mounted to
play rap music.

Rap is NOT music!!!

I'll see you and raise you a

"RAP makes me miss Disco", and I abhorred disco.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'll see you and raise you a

"RAP makes me miss Disco", and I abhorred disco.

http://www.wftv.com/news/25325219/detail.html

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got myself a set of $27 Logitech speakers with a little subwoofer. I
am not really expecting miracles, but I think that they will provide
acceptable sound.

My question is what is a good place to mount a subwoofer, to avoid any
harmful effects of vibration on the mill or its electronics.

It is not a huge subwoofer, weighs about 5-7 lbs or so.

They covered this last month on an episode of "Pimp My Mill", it was
between the shows on installing gold plated crank handles & the one on
replacing the work light with a HID projector c/w a smoke tinted
lense.

You can probably catch on next week's re-runs.

H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/09/2010 01:35 AM, Rich Grise wrote:

Doubtfully a car can hold up well, with those giant subwoofers mounted to
play rap music.

Rap is NOT music!!!

Thanks,
Rich

I say the C is silent in rap.

technomaNge
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Comrade technomaNge wrote:

On 10/09/2010 01:35 AM, Rich Grise wrote:

Doubtfully a car can hold up well, with those giant subwoofers mounted to
play rap music.

Rap is NOT music!!!

Thanks,
Rich