Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sunday scores

Huot index with 8 USA HSS Silver and Deming drill bits, 1/2" shank,
9/16 to 1". All new except 3/4", which is almost new. $12.05

Union Butterfield drill bit set, 1/64 to 1/2 by 1/64", TiN plated, in
huot index, all brand new, $10.

USA made drill bit set, small sizes about up to 1/4" by 0.001 or 0.002
(I do not understand the principle), looks like all others, $5.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-27, Ignoramus24898 wrote:
Huot index with 8 USA HSS Silver and Deming drill bits, 1/2" shank,
9/16 to 1". All new except 3/4", which is almost new. $12.05

Nice!

USA made drill bit set, small sizes about up to 1/4" by 0.001 or 0.002
(I do not understand the principle), looks like all others, $5.

Are you sure that is not a number size (wire size) drill set?
60 drills ranging from something like 0.040" for the #60 up to 0.228"
for the #1.

Don't expect them to be even sized steps. The sizes essentially
fill gaps left in the fractional inch sizes, so some skip over the
fractional in size. Also -- the size of the steps varies with the
overall size of the bit. For example, the #59 is 0.0410" and the #60 is
0.0400" -- so only 0.001" step size. But at the other end, the #1 is
0.2280" and the #2 is 0.2210" -- a step size of 0.007".

I believe that the sizes are related to the formation of wire by
drawing it through successively smaller holes -- with adjustments to
skip the fractional near misses. So you wind up with 0.1285" for a #30
and 0.1200" for a #31 -- skipping the 0.1250" for a 1/8".

Anyway -- don't expect the number sizes to fit a neat formula
for calculation. It is easier to implement a look-up table in your
program.

Here are the sizes:

http://sector7.xor.aps.anl.gov/tables/number_drill.html

The number series actually goes on down to #80 (0.0135") in a
separate smaller index. If you have one of the 115 bit Huot indexes
(fractional, number, and letter sizes) you may have noticed a bent up
hook in the letter size section. It turns out that this is just right
to hold the index for the #61-#80 bits. (I discovered this almost by
accident -- never read about it anywhere, but wondered what it was for,
and since I had a Huot #61-#80 index, I tried it for fit and was quite
pleased.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-27, Ignoramus24898 wrote:
Huot index with 8 USA HSS Silver and Deming drill bits, 1/2" shank,
9/16 to 1". All new except 3/4", which is almost new. $12.05

Nice!

USA made drill bit set, small sizes about up to 1/4" by 0.001 or 0.002
(I do not understand the principle), looks like all others, $5.

Are you sure that is not a number size (wire size) drill set?
60 drills ranging from something like 0.040" for the #60 up to 0.228"
for the #1.

Yes, it is very possibly that.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/26/2010 8:16 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

If you have one of the 115 bit Huot indexes
(fractional, number, and letter sizes) you may have noticed a bent up
hook in the letter size section. It turns out that this is just right
to hold the index for the #61-#80 bits. (I discovered this almost by
accident -- never read about it anywhere, but wondered what it was for,
and since I had a Huot #61-#80 index, I tried it for fit and was quite
pleased.

I've been damned annoyed by that hook for decades, in that it allows a
few drill bits to slide forward, preventing lifting the index on that
side until they've been slid back. Now I know!

Learn something new every day....

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-27, Ignoramus24898 wrote:
Huot index with 8 USA HSS Silver and Deming drill bits, 1/2" shank,
9/16 to 1". All new except 3/4", which is almost new. $12.05

Nice!

USA made drill bit set, small sizes about up to 1/4" by 0.001 or 0.002
(I do not understand the principle), looks like all others, $5.

Are you sure that is not a number size (wire size) drill set?
60 drills ranging from something like 0.040" for the #60 up to 0.228"
for the #1.

Yes, it is very possibly that.

In which case -- *keep* it. Usually called "number size" or
"wire size" drills.

Those sizes are the best choices as the tap drills for many
smaller taps. I like having the fractional, number, letter, *and*
metric drill sets -- so between them you can usually find something just
the size you need -- including fine tuning the tap drill size when you
are tapping long threads in tough material. As long as there is enough
length to supply the strength when you have less percentage of thread
depth.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-27, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 9/26/2010 8:16 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

If you have one of the 115 bit Huot indexes
(fractional, number, and letter sizes) you may have noticed a bent up
hook in the letter size section. It turns out that this is just right
to hold the index for the #61-#80 bits. (I discovered this almost by
accident -- never read about it anywhere, but wondered what it was for,
and since I had a Huot #61-#80 index, I tried it for fit and was quite
pleased.

I've been damned annoyed by that hook for decades, in that it allows a
few drill bits to slide forward, preventing lifting the index on that
side until they've been slid back. Now I know!

And -- if you have the #61-80 index in there it reduces the
amount of hooking that occurs there -- not totally, but a significant
improvement.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27 Sep 2010 22:12:24 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

And -- if you have the #61-80 index in there it reduces the
amount of hooking that occurs there -- not totally, but a significant
improvement.

Enjoy,
DoN.

"hooking"? Wuzzat?????? Maybe like when the bits slide out of situ
while the case is closed, and they get caught or "hooked"?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And -- if you have the #61-80 index in there it reduces the
amount of hooking that occurs there -- not totally, but a significant
improvement.

[ ... ]

"hooking"? Wuzzat?????? Maybe like when the bits slide out of situ
while the case is closed, and they get caught or "hooked"?

Yep! You grab the edge of the topmost letter tray in the
115-bit set and start to lift it, and it comes up about a quarter inch
or less and then pulls out of your grip -- until you tilt the index so
the letter drill side is down and the bits are no longer protruding
under the clip (he called it a hook) designed to hold the #61-#80 index
(sort of like a thick matchbook in size).

FWIW -- while the old HUOT drill indexes were gray hammertone,
and the newer ones are something like a fine-grained gray wrinkle
finish, the #61-#80 index from HUOT is blued steel -- or at least mine
is.

Oh yes -- I also have an index for 3/4" to 1" Morse Taper 3
drills (a nice fit for my lathe's tailstock) which is olive drab -- and
the bits weigh enough so the pins on which the trays pivot tend to pop
out from time to time. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

FWIW -- while the old HUOT drill indexes were gray hammertone,
and the newer ones are something like a fine-grained gray wrinkle
finish, the #61-#80 index from HUOT is blued steel -- or at least mine
is.

Hey DoN,

OK. Thanks.

I have three new Huot's for inch/number/letter purchased (empty) just
last year, but they don't have that "hook" piece. I have a Cleveland
and a few "Chinese clones of the Huot's" of the same type, and they
don't have it either. Funny thing is, I have about a dozen Huot boxes
altogether, and not one of them has what I would consider a "part
number" on them, so I have no reference to note.

In any case, I only have a few of the # 61-80's indexes, but none are
Huot that I could see, and I don't use anything in them often enough
to care about keeping them "convenient". In the smaller sizes, I keep
package size lots of just what I do use, including a goodly number of
the numbers and smaller inch, but none of the smaller letter drill
bits. I'm not good enough and don't care to learn how to sharpen the
itty-bitty stuff, and they are not expensive in package lots, so when
they quit cutting, they quit being drill-bits and become "pins".

Take care.

Brian
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/27/2010 9:58 PM, Brian Lawson wrote:

I have three new Huot's for inch/number/letter purchased (empty) just
last year, but they don't have that "hook" piece.

It's the 3-in-1 box that has this hook. The hook is formed out of the
divider between fraction and number drills. I've wondered for many years
just what the heck it was there for. I assumed Huot didn't put it there
to annoy me, but couldn't divine any sensible purpose. I never thought
to try putting the small index in there. It does fit, and now it makes
sense...

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:10:35 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 9/27/2010 9:58 PM, Brian Lawson wrote:

I have three new Huot's for inch/number/letter purchased (empty) just
last year, but they don't have that "hook" piece.

It's the 3-in-1 box that has this hook. The hook is formed out of the
divider between fraction and number drills. I've wondered for many years
just what the heck it was there for. I assumed Huot didn't put it there
to annoy me, but couldn't divine any sensible purpose. I never thought
to try putting the small index in there. It does fit, and now it makes
sense...

Jon

Hey Jon (and DoN)

Hmmmm....I guess I just have different ones. These three have
fractions in three folding levels to the left, letters in three
folding levels to the right, and there is an upright divider between
them, and then the number drills are straight lined on the "lid" along
what I guess I'd call the "back" when it is open.

Found it on their site (called "Combination" indexes)

http://store.huot-store.com/tool-storage/product/11700.html

Have a look...no "hook" visible to me in the pix. Maybe they have
quit that extra piece?

Brian.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-28, Brian Lawson wrote:

"hooking"? Wuzzat?????? Maybe like when the bits slide out of situ
while the case is closed, and they get caught or "hooked"?

Yep! You grab the edge of the topmost letter tray in the
115-bit set and start to lift it, and it comes up about a quarter inch
or less and then pulls out of your grip ...

I didn't have a Huot, but my index did that & was very irritating. So I
just left it open. But it was on a shelf and the sizes were hard to see
beyond the 1st row.

What I did was take the bit holders out, mount them side-by-side, just
above my drill press:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/DrillIndex.jpg

They are very conveniently located, I can see the sizes, and I can
extract & replace bits easily. None of which was true before.

I never could see the usefulness of boxed indexes - YMMV,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/28/2010 7:18 AM, Brian Lawson wrote:

Have a look...no "hook" visible to me in the pix. Maybe they have
quit that extra piece?

It's there, just not exactly obvious. At the side of that divider, you
can see a light strip. It's punched on three sides and formed into an
'L'. This L is what we were calling the 'hook', and will hold the
miniature drill index. Maybe hook wasn't the best descriptive term...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-28, Brian Lawson wrote:

FWIW -- while the old HUOT drill indexes were gray hammertone,
and the newer ones are something like a fine-grained gray wrinkle
finish, the #61-#80 index from HUOT is blued steel -- or at least mine
is.

Hey DoN,

OK. Thanks.

I have three new Huot's for inch/number/letter purchased (empty) just
last year, but they don't have that "hook" piece.

Interesting. My 115 piece set was purchased perhaps ten years
ago -- a "Made in USA" drill set from MSC with the HUOT index.

I have a Cleveland
and a few "Chinese clones of the Huot's" of the same type, and they
don't have it either. Funny thing is, I have about a dozen Huot boxes
altogether, and not one of them has what I would consider a "part
number" on them, so I have no reference to note.

The hook is on the fractional drill side of the partition
between letter and fractional sections -- and close to the opening edge.
It lines up with the three largest fractional bit tips.

It is interesting that the index does not have the HUOT name
stamped in the lid -- that is blank. The only maker's mark is stamped
in the bottom - visible when the letter size drills are tipped up. And
yes, it *is* marked HUOT. (I've always wondered why the name is always
all upper case. Is it an acronym?)

In any case, I only have a few of the # 61-80's indexes, but none are
Huot that I could see, and I don't use anything in them often enough
to care about keeping them "convenient".

I keep mine there less for convenience, and more as a way to
keep it where I can *find* it the few times I need it. The 115 bit
index is a lot easier to find than something as small as the 61-80

Yes, I used to keep it in a specific drawer of a machinist's
tool chest -- I forget who made that particular chest (if it even had a
maker's name visible), but it was not Gerstner. I do have a couple of
theirs, but this one is not it. (It does not have a hinged lid, so it
lives between two shelves a lot better than one with a hinged lid.

In the smaller sizes, I keep
package size lots of just what I do use, including a goodly number of
the numbers and smaller inch, but none of the smaller letter drill
bits. I'm not good enough and don't care to learn how to sharpen the
itty-bitty stuff, and they are not expensive in package lots, so when
they quit cutting, they quit being drill-bits and become "pins".

I happen to have a sharpener (which used to be made by DuMore)
which will handle 1/4" down to #70. Below #70, it is a mater of just
purchase new in packs of 12. :-)

If you are interested in what the sharpener is like, I made a
web page when I was getting it working.

http://www.d-and-d.com/interesting-tools/DuMore-Drill-Grinder/index.html

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-28, Brian Lawson wrote:

"hooking"? Wuzzat?????? Maybe like when the bits slide out of situ
while the case is closed, and they get caught or "hooked"?

Yep! You grab the edge of the topmost letter tray in the
115-bit set and start to lift it, and it comes up about a quarter inch
or less and then pulls out of your grip ...

Actually -- that should be the topmost fractional tray. My
memory had it backwards.

I didn't have a Huot, but my index did that & was very irritating. So I
just left it open. But it was on a shelf and the sizes were hard to see
beyond the 1st row.

What I did was take the bit holders out, mount them side-by-side, just
above my drill press:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/DrillIndex.jpg

They are very conveniently located, I can see the sizes, and I can
extract & replace bits easily. None of which was true before.

However -- that appears to be only the factional sizes -- 1/16"
to 1/2". What we've been talking about is the combined index which
holds the fractional, the letter sized and the number sized bits in a
single index.

I never could see the usefulness of boxed indexes

I use them in the drill press, and in two different lathes --
far enough apart so the portability of the index box makes things a lot
more useful. Yes, I have a stand index for a second set of fractional
size bits near the bigger lathe, and another stand index near the
smaller one. The index (along with a pair of Metric indexes, and a
number-sized cobalt screw-machine length set with split points. These
are on the end of a shelf set behind the drill press.

Oh yes -- there is also an index which spends most of the time on
the floor -- 3/4" to 1" with MT-3 shanks. It is just a bit too heavy to
put over my head on a shelf. :-)

I like the countersinks on the left of the assembly. What is
that on the right -- center drills? Chuck key? (The image does not go
low enough to show whether it is a keyless chuck. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

What I did was take the bit holders out, mount them side-by-side, just
above my drill press:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/DrillIndex.jpg

However -- that appears to be only the factional sizes -- 1/16"
to 1/2". What we've been talking about is the combined index which
holds the fractional, the letter sized and the number sized bits in a
single index.

True, the fractionals are what I use. If I had a full set, I would
still have the fractionals separate, for easy(er) access.

I never could see the usefulness of boxed indexes

I use them in the drill press, and in two different lathes --
far enough apart so the portability of the index box makes things a lot
more useful. Yes, I have a stand index for a second set of fractional
size bits near the bigger lathe, and another stand index near the
smaller one. The index (along with a pair of Metric indexes, and a
number-sized cobalt screw-machine length set with split points. These
are on the end of a shelf set behind the drill press.

I also have fractional duplicates at the lathe, in a stand. I can see
where you might not want to have duplicates of the full set &
portability comes into play. If I ever find a need for number & letter
sets, I would probably get just one & leave them in the index.

I like the countersinks on the left of the assembly. What is
that on the right -- center drills? Chuck key? (The image does not go
low enough to show whether it is a keyless chuck. :-)

Yes, center drills & yes, keyless chuck (love it!).

Bob

Fein scores a hit Tim S UK diy 6 October 22nd 08 11:37 AM
OT - Raging Calif. fires burn scores of homes Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 52 October 29th 07 07:47 AM
100% financing for scores below 600, 90% for below 550 LoanOfficer39 Home Ownership 0 October 7th 06 05:47 AM
B&Q 10% off everything until sunday . UK diy 1 November 18th 05 07:53 AM
couple buying house and credit scores- me too! eoasapgm Home Ownership 3 July 25th 03 07:09 PM