Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Friday Score

Jon Anderson wrote:
Fridays are the days to hit yard and estate sales if one has the freedom
to do so. I just scored a Tekronix 2215 60Mhz scope in pristine
condition with all manuals and two P6120 passive probes for $18. And
with just an outlet adapter or Aussie cord, it'll work down under.
Now all I have to do is learn how to use the darn thing!

On the way home, found another yard sale and scored a 320Gb external USB
HDD in original shrink wrap for $10.

Jon

You'd be easy to hate, Jon!

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-24, Jon Anderson wrote:
Fridays are the days to hit yard and estate sales if one has the freedom
to do so. I just scored a Tekronix 2215 60Mhz scope in pristine
condition with all manuals and two P6120 passive probes for $18. And
with just an outlet adapter or Aussie cord, it'll work down under.
Now all I have to do is learn how to use the darn thing!

That's a great deal, they are easy to use, I have one too IIRC.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" skrev i en meddelelse
Fridays are the days to hit yard and estate sales if one has the freedom
to do so. I just scored a Tekronix 2215 60Mhz scope in pristine condition
with all manuals and two P6120 passive probes for $18. And with just an
outlet adapter or Aussie cord, it'll work down under.
Now all I have to do is learn how to use the darn thing!

Joke'ing:
Don't even bother.
It is a piece of junk.
Dump it in the nearest bin and tell me where that is so I can pick it up ;-)

Serious:
That is one great finding you've done there.
Those things are not that hard to use.

On the way home, found another yard sale and scored a 320Gb external USB
HDD in original shrink wrap for $10.

Same as above :-)

--
Uffe Bærentsen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/24/2010 11:06 AM, Ignoramus18521 wrote:

That's a great deal, they are easy to use, I have one too IIRC.

$18 seemed a no brainer, and not a big $$ loss if I screwed up and fried
it. Check on eBay, they seem to sell between about $50 and $150.
Have a friend that does some real high end power supplies for scientific
instrumentation that is going to check it out for me and make sure it's
in good working order. And give me a quick run down on the basics.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Funny thing too, is that outside of the scope, the closest thing to
tools was some old school drafting stuff. I was about to head back out
of the garage when I spotted the scope, packed with manuals, in a clear
plastic package like what bed sheets come in.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:58:33 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Fridays are the days to hit yard and estate sales if one has the freedom
to do so. I just scored a Tekronix 2215 60Mhz scope in pristine
condition with all manuals and two P6120 passive probes for $18. And
with just an outlet adapter or Aussie cord, it'll work down under.
Now all I have to do is learn how to use the darn thing!

On the way home, found another yard sale and scored a 320Gb external USB
HDD in original shrink wrap for $10.

Jon

One of those probes is worth more than you paid for the lot.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Fridays are the days to hit yard and estate sales if one has the freedom
to do so. I just scored a Tekronix 2215 60Mhz scope in pristine
condition with all manuals and two P6120 passive probes for $18. And
with just an outlet adapter or Aussie cord, it'll work down under.
Now all I have to do is learn how to use the darn thing!

Very cool price.

On the way home, found another yard sale and scored a 320Gb external USB
HDD in original shrink wrap for $10.

Congrats, Jon, unless it was "only dropped (3 stories) once".

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/24/2010 6:31 PM, GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

There was a long thread in the group about using an oscilloscope, back
before it became a political discussion group. I'll print the thread
below. Also, Techtronix published a book called "The X Y Z's of
Oscilloscopes."

Thank you for that! And I -had- that book on scopes along with another.
Finally let them go because I thought I'd never own one. In the constant
battle over what to keep and what to discard, sometimes I win, sometimes
I lose...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/24/2010 9:30 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Congrats, Jon, unless it was "only dropped (3 stories) once".

It really and truly looks brand new. Not a trace of dust in any nooks
and crannies. Plugged it in, and get 'blips' running left to right, so
it's at least somewhat functional. I have no reason to believe it's
other than pristine however. Will be getting it checked out week after next.

And another score today. After winning $96 on the Lotto last week, and
yesterday's scores, thought I'd hit the road today. Hit 10 yard sales
all over hell's half acre today, nada. Until I hit the last one, where
there was a set of Spikes Spiders, the replacements for snow chains you
just clip onto a wheel adapter. They are bloody expensive. Only chains
that will fit my Escort are cable chains and I -hate- them, as the
rollers just want to, well, roll under the tire.

From the size of the vinyl carrying case, I assumed them to be too big
for my car, and wondered why nobody had bought them yet. Well, the
zipper was buggered making it impossible to open. I did a bit of
groping, and determined there were was a set, and gambled on the
purchase, that I could resell and make some money. The cost?
$3

Get home, and boy-oh-boy, it looks like they will fit my Escort!
WooHoo! I guess I'm just getting to be a pussy in my old age, but
crawling around on hands and knees in the snow chaining up sucks.
Receipt shows they were purchased from the guy I get tires from and I'm
due for rotation, so will have him do whatever it takes to properly fit
them up.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Today...

Bought a pintle hook adapter for $5, similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Pintle-.../dp/B0000AX57E

I needed it badly to tow that M105A2 that I won in the miiltary
auction. Very happy about it.

K.O. Lee valve grinder for $40, like this:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/360254563637

but with a big box and a bunch of accessories.

Super old phonograph with some kids music included for $15. This might
not work and I may need to throw it out.

Prestolite torch, a bunch of Victor tips including a #6 rosebud tip,
Turbotorch, lots of igniters (most thrown out), propane torches, etc
for $20.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-25, Ignoramus10035 wrote:
Today...

Bought a pintle hook adapter for $5, similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Pintle-.../dp/B0000AX57E

I needed it badly to tow that M105A2 that I won in the miiltary
auction. Very happy about it.

K.O. Lee valve grinder for $40, like this:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/360254563637

but with a big box and a bunch of accessories.

Super old phonograph with some kids music included for $15. This might
not work and I may need to throw it out.

Depends on what you mean by "super old".

If it is old enough, the most likely failure will be the spring which
drives the turntable. (Wind up style.) The other thing is you will
need some consumables (needles -- cactus needles work nicely -- steel
ones have to be replaced more often or they start to grind away the
music from the grooves. Of course this is purely deadly to stereo
recordings. :-) But the playback is purely acoustic -- no electronics or
electrics. Be warned -- the spring is a flat clock spring type, but 1"
wide and thick -- a killer if it gets loose. Usually, the failure is
where it hooks to either the center shaft or the outer cage, and it is
possible to make a new hole at the cost of some play time by shortening
the spring.

Later -- you would find electric motors turning the turntable,
but still an acoustic playback unit -- especially on kid's phonographs.
Most likely failure here is the rubber tire which transfers motion from
the motor shaft to the inner rim of the turntable.

Then we get to electric motors and tube amplifiers. Tubes are
the major failure mode here. Needles get a bit fancier -- but are only
sometimes called "styli".

Then to solid state amplifiers. Back to the needle/stylus and
the drive rubber as the most likely failure modes.

There is *one* out there somewhere -- built from a kid's
portable phonograph to demonstrate a flexible mosfet power transistor
printed on a mylar film. Full power for the amplifier was a single
1-1/2 V D cell. The speaker and the cartridge were hooked directly to
the power mosfet.

It was stolen from the research scientist's car, and he looked
forward to the time the battery died and the thief took it in for
repair, and the repairman would say "You have *got* to be kidding me.
You say this worked?" :-)

Then ones new enough so you are unlikely to be calling them
"very old", so I won't mention them.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

several incorrect statements in Don Nichols review of phonograph technology

on older wind up units, the failure I have seen most often is hardened
grease - it won't work because it's all glued togethr - clean and it's fine

on tube units, most common failure is one or more capacitors,

On 2010-09-25, Ignoramus10035 wrote:
Today...

[...]

(too) near Washington D.C. |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-26, Bill Noble wrote:
several incorrect statements in Don Nichols review of phonograph technology

on older wind up units, the failure I have seen most often is hardened
grease - it won't work because it's all glued togethr - clean and it's fine

It all depends on what you call a "failure". :-)

Hardened grease is not truly a "failure" (and I was typing in a
room which was up to 93 F -- the air conditioning blower fan failed just
too late for me to get a replacement until Monday. :-) It is things like
this which make me wish that I had welding capability -- the hub broke
out of the web of the squirrel cage. (Of course getting it sufficiently
balanced would be another trick. :-)

Anyway -- hardened grease is fixed with a proper clean and lube
job, which is preventive maintenance, not repair in my book.

Now -- if a lack of lube caused a part to wear to the point of
needing replacement -- *that* I would accept as a failure.

A broken spring (which I *have* seen, while I have not seen the
lube caking) is certainly a failure. Granted, the last time I looked at
one of these was back in the late 1950s.

on tube units, most common failure is one or more capacitors,

O.K. By now, it would be. But most of them would have been put
aside before the dehydration of the electrolytics really started -- for
failed tubes. They live in storage for years before someone decides to
get rid of them. So likely a combination of both. Anyway --
electrolytics are easier to replace (if you don't insist on it looking
the same) than tubes these days.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-25, Ignoramus10035 wrote:
Today...

[...]

DoN, this is a wind up phonograph with a needle. The problem is that
the arm holding the needle seems to be a little loose and not balanced
by any kind of a spring etc. It feels wrong. I would expect it to come
down on the disk gently and to be relatively stable. I may post some
pictures and a video.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mine looks a lot like this one:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/310249058257

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's another one that is a consolation for a lousy day (son #1 broke
a toe, so I took him to ER).

8 drill bits, supposedly brand new, 9-16 to 1" by 1/16", in a Huot
box. The auction does not say Huot, but you can see it if you look
really closely at one of the pictures. I hope that the drill bits are
of the decent kind.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-25, Ignoramus10035 wrote:
Today...

[...]

news:rec.antiques.radio+phono is the proper newsgroup for windups.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-26, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 9/25/2010 7:31 PM, Ignoramus10035 wrote:

I hope that the drill bits are of the decent kind.

Helluva deal if they're as good as they look!

I am very hopeful and excited. These are Silver and Deming drills,
also, which makes them usable with a lot of smaller tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-25, Ignoramus10035 wrote:
Today...

Bought a

[ ... ]

[...]

But there *is* a mechanism to lower the needle gently onto the
disk. It is *you*. Those things had a rather extreme stylus force
compared to recent ones. A good recent one can operate at as little as
one gram of stylus force -- or perhaps even as little as 3/4 gram.

Those old windups had stylus forces measured more in *ounces*.
This is why you need to replace steel needles very frequently, because
the shellac (not vinyl in those days) rapidly wore down to chisels.

The preferred needle was a cactus needle -- soft enough so it
would not kill the record quickly. (The tradeoff was you lost some of
the highs, but in those days, there was not as much of an interest in
fidelity anyway. :-)

You *really* don't want to use this on any vinyl record -- the
forces are too high. (If the record bends a little in your hands, it is
vinyl -- if it is stiff, it is shellac, and will break if you add a
little more force -- or look at it wrong. :-)

So -- what you have is the way it was designed. The stylus
force was needed to mechanically couple the needle to the diaphragm in
the end of the arm to produce sound. The rest of the "amplification"
was from a long tapered path from the diaphragm through the arm down
through the board and out eventually to a grille. No volume control --
on or off. (Unless there are sliding panels in front of the grille. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:12:45 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 9/25/2010 7:31 PM, Ignoramus10035 wrote:

I hope that the drill bits are of the decent kind.

Helluva deal if they're as good as they look!

Jon

Couple weeks ago I picked up a 1/2" bit labeled "union twist drill
Canada" in very good condition for $2.00. Nearly needed help to put it
in the trunk of the car. The bench top drill press and electric motor
attached to it were heavy. The motor drives the step pulley on the
spindle over idler pulleys where the belt changes from vertical to
horizontal. Feed is by a lever over the top carrying a bearing between
collars on the half inch diameter spindle. The chuck is the old type
keyless chuck where the spindle pushes against the back of the jaws.
No identifying marks on the drill press although the 1/4 HP motor was
made by Hoover.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Couple weeks ago I picked up a 1/2" bit labeled "union twist drill
Canada" in very good condition for $2.00. Nearly needed help to put it
in the trunk of the car. The bench top drill press and electric motor
attached to it were heavy. The motor drives the step pulley on the
spindle over idler pulleys where the belt changes from vertical to
horizontal. Feed is by a lever over the top carrying a bearing between
collars on the half inch diameter spindle. The chuck is the old type
keyless chuck where the spindle pushes against the back of the jaws.
No identifying marks on the drill press although the 1/4 HP motor was
made by Hoover.

Hoover? Well, that sucks! ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/26/2010 5:52 PM, Gerald Miller wrote:

Couple weeks ago I picked up a 1/2" bit labeled "union twist drill
Canada" in very good condition for $2.00. Nearly needed help to put it
in the trunk of the car. The bench top drill press and electric motor
attached to it were heavy. The motor drives the step pulley on the
spindle over idler pulleys where the belt changes from vertical to
horizontal. Feed is by a lever over the top carrying a bearing between
collars on the half inch diameter spindle. The chuck is the old type
keyless chuck where the spindle pushes against the back of the jaws.
No identifying marks on the drill press although the 1/4 HP motor was
made by Hoover.

Picture would be worth a thousand words... G Seriously, I'd like to
see a pic of that if you're able.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:13:09 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 9/26/2010 5:52 PM, Gerald Miller wrote:

Couple weeks ago I picked up a 1/2" bit labeled "union twist drill
Canada" in very good condition for $2.00. Nearly needed help to put it
in the trunk of the car. The bench top drill press and electric motor
attached to it were heavy. The motor drives the step pulley on the
spindle over idler pulleys where the belt changes from vertical to
horizontal. Feed is by a lever over the top carrying a bearing between
collars on the half inch diameter spindle. The chuck is the old type
keyless chuck where the spindle pushes against the back of the jaws.
No identifying marks on the drill press although the 1/4 HP motor was
made by Hoover.

Picture would be worth a thousand words... G Seriously, I'd like to
see a pic of that if you're able.

Jon

I'll get after the IT support department after he gets home tomorrow
and see if I can get some posted
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
Fridays are the days to hit yard and estate sales ...

Dang! Just when I had trained myself to not even slow down for a garage
sale, knowing that the probability of anything interesting, let alone a
bargain, is minuscule, you come along and show otherwise. Damn you, Jon
Anderson, damn you BG.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/27/2010 5:06 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Damn you, Jon Anderson, damn you BG.

I've got a way of ****ing people off.... G

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
Couple weeks ago I picked up a 1/2" bit labeled "union twist drill
Canada" in very good condition for $2.00. Nearly needed help to put it
in the trunk of the car. The bench top drill press and electric motor
attached to it were heavy. The motor drives the step pulley on the
spindle over idler pulleys where the belt changes from vertical to
horizontal. Feed is by a lever over the top carrying a bearing between
collars on the half inch diameter spindle. The chuck is the old type
keyless chuck where the spindle pushes against the back of the jaws.
No identifying marks on the drill press although the 1/4 HP motor was
made by Hoover.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I take it those are your pics in the drop box.
There is a very similar one in my dad's basement. His doesn't have the wavy
lever on top. It just has a straight bar.

I think that they were sold in the '50s out of the backs of magazines. They
came without a motor.

His still works and I still use it when I am out there. I did put a keyed
jacobs chuck on it back when I was in high school .

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:58:33 -0800, Jon Anderson wrote:

Fridays are the days to hit yard and estate sales if one has the freedom
to do so.

They're prime time for panhandling - everybody just got paid, and is on
the way home from Happy Hour. ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

See the drop box under 2_DP
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:42:25 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 9/27/2010 12:36 PM, Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie wrote:

- everybody just got paid, and is on
the way home from Happy Hour. ;-P

Nah, the idea is to be there first thing Friday morning, be it 8 or 9am.
If there's something really cool and/or grossly under priced, that when
you want to be there. And most of the potential buyers I'm going up
against on Friday mornings are older retired folks or soccer moms. Not
the type to normally look at tools.

Jon

Around here, nothing appears until 7:59 on Saturday unless it it
smaller than 6mo. size.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/27/2010 4:20 PM, Gerald Miller wrote:

(...)

See the drop box under 2_DP
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/2-DP1.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/2-DP2.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/2-DP3.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/2-DP4.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/2-DP5.JPG

In Granny Low that thing could
get through some steel!

--Winston

--
Corporate executive forgets to commit a felony for 24 hours.
Film at 11.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/2-DP4.JPG

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/205/301/ic/cdc/industrial/hoover.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Y'mean this? http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/2-DP1.txt
Then why didn't you say so?

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:40:23 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/2-DP4.JPG

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/205/301/ic/cdc/industrial/hoover.htm

Sorry, Brain, but that's an entirely different machine than he posted.

(But, yes, he sucks. 'Twas a good score.)

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/27/2010 3:20 PM, Gerald Miller wrote:

See the drop box under 2_DP

Ah, cool, now I understand. For some reason I just couldn't visualize
from the description. I got one of those about half the size of yours,
and missing a few parts. So I put a handwheel on the top of the spindle
and use it for tapping holes now and then.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/26/2010 5:52 PM, Gerald Miller wrote:

Couple weeks ago I picked up a 1/2" bit labeled "union twist drill
Canada" in very good condition for $2.00. Nearly needed help to put it
in the trunk of the car. The bench top drill press and electric motor
attached to it were heavy. The motor drives the step pulley on the
spindle over idler pulleys where the belt changes from vertical to
horizontal. Feed is by a lever over the top carrying a bearing between
collars on the half inch diameter spindle. The chuck is the old type
keyless chuck where the spindle pushes against the back of the jaws.
No identifying marks on the drill press although the 1/4 HP motor was
made by Hoover.

[ ... ]

See the drop box under 2_DP

Rather oversized images. :-)

But it appears to have originally been designed for overhead
flat belt drive -- which would come down to a pulley on the bench, which
would drive the pulley that the existing belt hooked to.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/2-DP4.JPG

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/205/301/ic/cdc/industrial/hoover.htm

Sorry, Brain, but that's an entirely different machine than he posted.

Brain???

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/2-DP4.JPG

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/205/301/ic/cdc/industrial/hoover.htm

Sorry, Brain, but that's an entirely different machine than he posted.

Hey Larry,

Nope. That's where the motor in pix #4 was made.

Brian.

Black Friday -- a different take [email protected] Woodworking 8 December 1st 09 12:35 AM
Better sales: Black Friday vs. 1/2/10 ? Existential Angst Home Repair 7 November 26th 09 06:25 AM
Friday funny George Max Woodworking 0 July 21st 06 02:46 PM
Friday Challenge. J. Nielsen Metalworking 15 May 23rd 05 06:51 AM