Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hand-held 20x measuring scope

I bought a Lee Lead hardness Testing kit to test the hardness of lead alloys
I use for casting. My hardness tester at work won't go down that far. This
thing works by applying 60 pounds of force to a ball that indents the lead
and then you use the 20x scope that has a scale from 0-.100" in .002"
increments. You measure the width of the indent in the lead and look it up
on a chart that tells you the Brinell hardness. This is also the "strength
of the material in PSI. So, you adjust the pressure on the lead to 10%
below the strength of the lead, but high enough pressure to get some plastic
deformation.

Great tool! Everybody I've shown this to wants a scope. I haven't been
able to find them separate from the kit, has anybody seen any available?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=731364

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message
I bought a Lee Lead hardness Testing kit to test the hardness of lead
alloys I use for casting. My hardness tester at work won't go down that
far. This thing works by applying 60 pounds of force to a ball that
indents the lead and then you use the 20x scope that has a scale from
0-.100" in .002" increments. You measure the width of the indent in the
lead and look it up on a chart that tells you the Brinell hardness. This
is also the "strength of the material in PSI. So, you adjust the pressure
on the lead to 10% below the strength of the lead, but high enough pressure
to get some plastic deformation.

Great tool! Everybody I've shown this to wants a scope. I haven't been
able to find them separate from the kit, has anybody seen any available?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=731364

That is a Micro-Mike pencil microscope made in the USA!
http://www.micro-mike.com/Home_Page.html

You can find them several places incuding he
http://www.minerox.com/index.cfm?fus...duct_ID=19 16

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 00:10:54 -0700, "anorton"
wrote:

"Buerste" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks!!!

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:

That is a Micro-Mike pencil microscope made in the USA!
http://www.micro-mike.com/Home_Page.html

You can find them several places incuding he
http://www.minerox.com/index.cfm?fus...duct_ID=19 16

Neato, the look a little better constructed than the old Radio Shack 30
bangers (although the RS versions do have a light, which is handy).

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
I bought a Lee Lead hardness Testing kit to test the hardness of lead alloys
I use for casting. My hardness tester at work won't go down that far. This
thing works by applying 60 pounds of force to a ball that indents the lead
and then you use the 20x scope that has a scale from 0-.100" in .002"
increments. You measure the width of the indent in the lead and look it up
on a chart that tells you the Brinell hardness. This is also the "strength
of the material in PSI. So, you adjust the pressure on the lead to 10%
below the strength of the lead, but high enough pressure to get some plastic
deformation.

Great tool! Everybody I've shown this to wants a scope. I haven't been
able to find them separate from the kit, has anybody seen any available?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=731364

I made one of those about 35 years ago, back when I was casting
and shooting competitively. I used a small magnifier with a
reticle built in. It probably wasn't 20 power but it worked
pretty well. Same kind of magnifier we used to measure the pellet
hole distance from the X at turkey shoots. :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 01:12:33 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

I bought a Lee Lead hardness Testing kit to test the hardness of lead alloys
I use for casting. My hardness tester at work won't go down that far. This
thing works by applying 60 pounds of force to a ball that indents the lead
and then you use the 20x scope that has a scale from 0-.100" in .002"
increments. You measure the width of the indent in the lead and look it up
on a chart that tells you the Brinell hardness. This is also the "strength
of the material in PSI. So, you adjust the pressure on the lead to 10%
below the strength of the lead, but high enough pressure to get some plastic
deformation.

Great tool! Everybody I've shown this to wants a scope. I haven't been
able to find them separate from the kit, has anybody seen any available?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=731364

What does Lee say? You _have_ asked them, haven't you?

Rat Snack sells a 30x lighted pen scope, or did. Ca $30.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Lee has some spare parts for stuff listed on his website, might be you
could get one there.

Edmund has a wide variety of pocket microscopes both in their gadget
catalog and their optics one, some a lot cheaper than RS. If you need
the measuring reticle, you can buy several Lee kits and still come out
ahead, though. Kind of spendy from Edmund. Good, but spendy.
www.sciplus.com has some pocket-sized specimens, too, no reticle.
Lots of other goodies, some actually have metal involved, like gears.

Lee has a short article in his 2nd edition loading manual relating
lead hardness to bullet velocity. If you haven't seen it, you need to
if you're doing anything with cast bullets. A hardness tester is a
good first step, next, you need a chronograph.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought a Lee Lead hardness Testing kit to test the hardness of lead alloys
I use for casting. My hardness tester at work won't go down that far. This
thing works by applying 60 pounds of force to a ball that indents the lead
and then you use the 20x scope that has a scale from 0-.100" in .002"
increments. You measure the width of the indent in the lead and look it up
on a chart that tells you the Brinell hardness. This is also the "strength
of the material in PSI. So, you adjust the pressure on the lead to 10%
below the strength of the lead, but high enough pressure to get some plastic
deformation.

Great tool! Everybody I've shown this to wants a scope. I haven't been
able to find them separate from the kit, has anybody seen any available?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=731364

Fred Folwer will probably jump in here on this one. His outfit makes
one of these also #52-662 020

See:

http://www.fvfowler.com/pdf/2304/2304_407.pdf

Enco used to handle these.

bob
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

I bought a Lee Lead hardness Testing kit to test the hardness of lead alloys
I use for casting. My hardness tester at work won't go down that far. This
thing works by applying 60 pounds of force to a ball that indents the lead
and then you use the 20x scope that has a scale from 0-.100" in .002"
increments. You measure the width of the indent in the lead and look it up
on a chart that tells you the Brinell hardness. This is also the "strength
of the material in PSI. So, you adjust the pressure on the lead to 10%
below the strength of the lead, but high enough pressure to get some plastic
deformation.

Great tool! Everybody I've shown this to wants a scope. I haven't been
able to find them separate from the kit, has anybody seen any available?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=731364

I've thought of buying the Lee tester and comparing it to my Lead Bullet Technologies
tester as a sanity check.

Have you looked at
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=428&PMCTLG=00

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

HAND-HELD HUBBLE J T Woodworking 0 April 12th 07 01:18 AM
Hand Held Planer Wilson Woodworking 5 January 23rd 07 09:12 PM
Hand Held Shower Mount [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 15th 07 05:01 PM
Can anyone recomend a hand held voltmeter? F.H. Home Repair 14 November 22nd 04 04:22 AM
Hand held planner Evon Woodworking 8 July 31st 04 01:00 AM